Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Broken rear coils

Old 07-29-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken rear coils

My car is a 2006 Pontiac Pursuit GT, 2.4 auto, FE3 suspension with 99,000 miles.
Today I changed out my struts and shocks for AC Delco FE5 units and ZZP lowering springs. When I pulled out my stock rear coils they were both broken about 1 1/2 coils from the bottom.
They broke on the diagonal, both exactly the same, so the top of the spring rested perfectly on the bottom and were not visibly broken due to the rust and grease on them.
Is this common with Cobalts and G5s? I bought the car two months ago from the original lady owner so I'm sure it wasn't thrashed.

Now to the ZZP springs. They sell two different sets, one for the SS and one for non-SS.
I e-mailed them before I ordered and asked which ones were the right ones for my GT.
I was told they both fit fine. I ordered the non-SS ones because they offer more lowering.
After installation and the car back on the ground I measured the drop. It was exactly 1 inch front and 1 1/2 rear, just what I was looking for.
However, under closer inspection with the weight of the car on the springs they were binding. The bottom 4 coils were touching each other so that only the progressive coils were supporting the car. It actually drives OK with no weird noises. With it being the weekend I can't call ZZP until Monday.
Anyone know what the hell is going on?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
That's normal on most of the lowering springs offered for the Cobalt. You'll be fine driving around, assuming you left the bump stops in and that you'll be getting an alignment.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
They make a wrap for coils that came on my YYZ springs which have interfering coils. Eliminates the banging and crunching noise they can make during normal suspension travel. I'm not sure exactly what it is called but I assume without it you would have clunking noises too. I'll try to figure out what it is called or maybe someone who knows will chime in.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've installed progressive rate lowering springs on several of my vehicles in the past and never seen this before.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Pursuit GT
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've installed progressive rate lowering springs on several of my vehicles in the past and never seen this before.
Only Powell's YYZ springs are progressive. All others, including ZZP's, are not.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
I wrapped my rear springs with braided expandable hose protection sleeves.
Dampens the clunking from coil slap and looks much better!

Old 08-02-2017, 04:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is the second G5 i have heard where rear springs break. A friend kept hearing noises from the rear on her 07 g5 and turned out to be broken springs. We live in texas and they were not rusted. Got them replaced and were fine even after the car was sold.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 PM

Angry Eibach Spotrlines

Thanks again for the replies.
I think I'm going to go with the Eibach sportlines (the set with more lowering).
ZZP says they'll give me a $99 credit if I spend the $100 to ship them back from Canada.
I guess I'll just put them in the recycling bin unless someone from Calgary wants a free set of crappy springs.

If anyone has the Eibachs on their car could you respond about coil bind or better yet, post a picture of the rear springs from behind with the car on the ground?

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have sportlines on my G5, the coil bind in the rear is normal, mine has about 3 coils touching but has these rubber molding over them so they dont make any noise. The ride is not bad, i actually never understood why people complain about them. I never bottom out on the and im still on stock shocks. Have had the springs for about 45k miles and no blown struts or shocks and car rides pretty damn good. I might be able to get a pic tomorrow if i get a chance
The following users liked this post:
Pursuit GT (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
I'll have to look at mine, it sounds like I have a bag of mice underneathe when I'm parked and get out of the car or loading heavy stuff in the trunk.

Search this Thread