Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Cant get brake caliper off? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant get brake caliper off? wtf?

trying to replace my rotors right now, can get the rotor off but the rotor is so worn down the pads cant get out of the "groove" they are in so i cant remove the caliper... any ideas?????????

Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM

are they stuck completly together lol i had the same problem with my old avalanche i killed the brakes on it lol just try and pry it open i guess i had a shop do it for me lol they said it was a pain in the ass
Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a hammer and knock it off.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

ya there pretty dmn stuck.... im thinking of trying the dremel on the petruding outerwall of the rotor i wana kill this thing right now.... and hammer has been tried
Old 11-14-2008, 04:59 PM

hammer harder.... I had the same problem
Old 11-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Banned

ok kudos guys

the enforcer won again... go for hammering harder lol thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
ok kudos guys

the enforcer won again... go for hammering harder lol thanks
glad I could help
Old 11-14-2008, 05:11 PM

id ur saying that the caliper wont come off the rotor all u have to do is compress the piston in some. u can do that by putting a long screwdriver in the middle of the rotor and pry out an that will push the piston in some. i do it every time i do brakes at work.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What?

The pads dont hold the caliper on......take out the two bolts that hold caliper to the guide pins and remove caliper.

If you remove the rotor with the caliper in place that me4ans you pulled the mounting bracket bolts. put those back in, remove caliper bolts. remove caliper. using a small pry bar(screwdriver if necessary) try to pry the pads away from the rotor, remove mounting bracket bolts. remove bracket. if bracket is still stuck. put a lug on the wheel stud top hold rotor on. use a pry bar on the edge of the rotor to pry the bracke up and off rotor.

Clean, lube, reassemble.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 PM

hey by anychance were u holding the brake down and stepping on the accelerator lol thats how i got mine stuck and borke something lol
Old 11-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tony2toness/sc
hey by anychance were u holding the brake down and stepping on the accelerator lol thats how i got mine stuck and borke something lol

lol nope

these rotors show grooves at 15,000 miles... here i am at 48,000 just doing the first front brake job haha
tis all good now, im about to finish this up with the powerslot and hawk hps

ah and maven thanks man, I did have the right bolts out, but like i said the rotors were so worn down it made it a bitch to get them off. Thanks for all your guys input.... I just broke em in. and am letting them sit....******* stop on a dime. cooooooolness

Last edited by Codyak Supercharged; 11-14-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM

has anyone done rear rotors? i took off the 2 caliper bolts and its stuck in there like mad! its like theres another bolt holding it in i did try to pry it with screwdriver it wont budge? is doing the rears exactly like doing the fronts except for using cube tool to turn the rear pistons back in?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by daxfas26
has anyone done rear rotors? i took off the 2 caliper bolts and its stuck in there like mad! its like theres another bolt holding it in i did try to pry it with screwdriver it wont budge? is doing the rears exactly like doing the fronts except for using cube tool to turn the rear pistons back in?
yeah it is the same as the front except u have to use the cube tool or something else to turn the pistons back in. i have done countless fornt and rear brake jobs. if the caliper doesnt come off take a pry bar or large screw driver and put it under the top or bottom of the caliper and pry it off it wont hurt anything but the pads. they should come off as long as the caliper bolts are out iv never had a problem doing them.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
What?

The pads dont hold the caliper on......take out the two bolts that hold caliper to the guide pins and remove caliper.

If you remove the rotor with the caliper in place that me4ans you pulled the mounting bracket bolts. put those back in, remove caliper bolts. remove caliper. using a small pry bar(screwdriver if necessary) try to pry the pads away from the rotor, remove mounting bracket bolts. remove bracket. if bracket is still stuck. put a lug on the wheel stud top hold rotor on. use a pry bar on the edge of the rotor to pry the bracke up and off rotor.

Clean, lube, reassemble.
sometimes there are so corroded ( Vue the other day) gotta take the whole thing off and heat the housing cherry red and then knock the slider pins out. then clean them up and grease the crap out of them....just saying the real world for these cars in the winter sucks. My Blue Redline (blue redlines are qwiker) is safely in the garage WAITING FOR THE ROTORS TO ARRIVE! DID THEY COME TODAY? I DUNNO I WAS OUT OF THE OFFICE! AM I SHOUTING? just kiddin' Maven maybe i will have time tomorrow afternoon, Friday is out shuffle off to buffalo for parts (again) and then maybe an answer on the ZR1 rotor thing....THREAD JACK sorry I just got a***n'n carried away. Did you check out RLF ass happy? ok i am done now No i am not Michelle Smith is hot on American Thunder....kinda like a modern day Linda Vaughn....
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qwikredline
sometimes there are so corroded ( Vue the other day) gotta take the whole thing off and heat the housing cherry red and then knock the slider pins out. then clean them up and grease the crap out of them....just saying the real world for these cars in the winter sucks. My Blue Redline (blue redlines are qwiker) is safely in the garage WAITING FOR THE ROTORS TO ARRIVE! DID THEY COME TODAY? I DUNNO I WAS OUT OF THE OFFICE! AM I SHOUTING? just kiddin' Maven maybe i will have time tomorrow afternoon, Friday is out shuffle off to buffalo for parts (again) and then maybe an answer on the ZR1 rotor thing....THREAD JACK sorry I just got a***n'n carried away. Did you check out RLF ass happy? ok i am done now
dude, as gone as i am right now, made it that much more
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 PM

im sorry im such a dumb noob it came right off when i disengaged the parking brake lol! now im done with the job its all on there i put everything back the way it suppose to go with new stoptech slotted rotors and hawks hps pads. i took it for a drive and its not braking any better than stock and the brake pedal goes down more than before. i checked brake fluid it seems nearly at the max level line. i cant figure out what i could have done wrong?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Check for leaks!!!

You need to use the park brake a bunch of times....

If thats not it its likely you need to activate the ABS system....if car is safe to drive go where you can do some panic stops so the ABS kicks in.....do this about 5 times, that should help pedal.

If it doesnt, bleed the brakes.

If that deosnt help youll need the Tech2 bleed at a dealer(or anywhere with a GM Tech2)
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by daxfas26
im sorry im such a dumb noob it came right off when i disengaged the parking brake lol! now im done with the job its all on there i put everything back the way it suppose to go with new stoptech slotted rotors and hawks hps pads. i took it for a drive and its not braking any better than stock and the brake pedal goes down more than before. i checked brake fluid it seems nearly at the max level line. i cant figure out what i could have done wrong?
The rear brakes can influence pedal height assuming all else is correctly assembled, no air in the system, and make sure both rear calipers are screwed back, good pads, then lever the hand brake up and down (on and off_ to ratchet the rear pistons out till they are in good position. Maven?

Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
dude, as gone as i am right now, made it that much more
thanks glad my horrible thread jack made you laff

Last edited by qwikredline; 12-03-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 PM

its fixed now due to doing parking brake exercises thanks maven
Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM

See you get quick answers when you post 4 times......
Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 PM

lol yeah i was kinda in a panic mode! i thought i might have screwed something up! but nope all it was was the damn parking brake! both times i asked earlier why i couldnt get my calipers off my rear rotors was cuz my parking brake was engaged duh! and now i panic cuz brakes felt like **** cuz i didnt do my parking brake exercises lol parking brakes and i dont mix today very well lol but all in all im glad its over and done with and in good working order! man car stops like a ****! thanks maven i appreciate it
Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

lol it happens man, but you will never do it again
Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 AM

thats for damn sure! thanks again
Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 AM

i had the same problem. Air tools ftw.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by FZWCobalt_09
i had the same problem. Air tools ftw.

Quick Reply: Cant get brake caliper off? wtf?