Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers

alright so ive looked at the basic oem strut packages and all the springs you can find for the ss and ive decided id rather go coilovers
IYO what is the best full coilover set for a daily driver that can be dropped the MOST for track and show for less than $1200???
name, where you got them would all be helpful pics too!!!!!!!!
THANKS! +
Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC or Megan would be the best in the price range.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 AM

TRUE but the megan says theyre only 06+ anyone know why?
also what about the d2's?
anyone have pics of how low theirs go????
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM

basically what i am asking is are ALL of the full coilover systems available better then the lnf fe5 struts and shocks along with any springs out there??
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM

are u looking for drop or handling?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 AM

i want handling THE SAME if not better then the stock ss fe5 struts and shocks to be able to drop it as low as possible

i think the handling on my ss now stock is amazing so anything better is a plus
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Bump!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 AM

pedders springs r best for handling but u dont get a very good drop...coilovers u get a good drop and are probly at the same handling as stock fe5 stuff. Ive heard megans handle pretty well but thats just wat i have heard i have koni struts and h&r springs and it handles pretty well
Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by quikdcride
i want handling THE SAME if not better then the stock ss fe5 struts and shocks to be able to drop it as low as possible

i think the handling on my ss now stock is amazing so anything better is a plus
you do know you cant have both correct? well you can if your doing to do it the right way and by that i mean building in the ride height....this means sectioning the strut towers up one inch in the front and a time attack twisting beam in the rear which has a 1 inch built in drop.

sorry but all the coilovers are junk except the kw variant 2s. i just got rid of my stances because they sucked on the track. poor spring rates, poor valving etc etc. i bought them expecting them to be good and eventually upgrade the springs to a higher rate but in all honesty i dont think the valving owuld handle higher rated springs. all in all i went back to my old setup because it is BETTER.

pedders and fe5 struts and or koni struts are the only way to go if you want better handling but the drop isnt as good.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by kxrida2000
pedders springs r best for handling but u dont get a very good drop...coilovers u get a good drop and are probly at the same handling as stock fe5 stuff. Ive heard megans handle pretty well but thats just wat i have heard i have koni struts and h&r springs and it handles pretty well
the konis are an upgrade but i think compared to the pedders would be a downgrade on the lnf.

ssc springs will give you as close to stock as you can get on the stock struts and a little better drop then the pedders
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
the konis are an upgrade but i think compared to the pedders would be a downgrade on the lnf.

ssc springs will give you as close to stock as you can get on the stock struts and a little better drop then the pedders
im just a 2.2 cobalt and i never auto-x or road race my car so i wasnt THAT concerned on handling i just wanted it a little better which if def. is....im a drag racing guy haha should get 11's this year hopefully
Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by kxrida2000
im just a 2.2 cobalt and i never auto-x or road race my car so i wasnt THAT concerned on handling i just wanted it a little better which if def. is....im a drag racing guy haha should get 11's this year hopefully
yep its more for you definately......i had h&rs on my stock struts...definately a downgrade..

megan coilovers have equal spring rates....none the less they use the exact same spring in the front and in back = junk
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM

so if i were going to get the oem fe5 package and oem ss lnf springs would i be better off doing that or is the extra 4-500 dollars worth it for a set of coilovers just for an everyday driver?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 PM

so if i were going to get the oem fe5 package and oem ss lnf springs would i be better off doing that or is the extra 4-500 dollars worth it for a set of coilovers just for an everyday driver?
no. get pedders springs and fe5 struts from crate engine depot....they are a vendor here. end of story...they make the car handle better get a decent drop. best bang for the buck...

if your so dead set of getting low....which this is what it seems like.....buy stance coilovers....they are a downgrade in handling but will get you low.

if you want almsot the same as stock handling buy fe5 struts and ssc springs.

too many people have the opinion that if you spend 1000 dollars on coilovers they are automatically the best. if you want a GOOD set of coilovers for the money get kw variant 2. if you want to get the BEST handling out of the cobalt and get decently low get ohlins or anze....penskes are good too. but be ready to spend 4k+
Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 PM

COOL! your helpful how do you like your stance coilovers...but your saying theyre worse then stock handling wise?
any other suggestions from anyone else?!?!!?!?!!?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
no. get pedders springs and fe5 struts from crate engine depot....they are a vendor here. end of story...they make the car handle better get a decent drop. best bang for the buck...

if your so dead set of getting low....which this is what it seems like.....buy stance coilovers....they are a downgrade in handling but will get you low.

if you want almsot the same as stock handling buy fe5 struts and ssc springs.

too many people have the opinion that if you spend 1000 dollars on coilovers they are automatically the best. if you want a GOOD set of coilovers for the money get kw variant 2. if you want to get the BEST handling out of the cobalt and get decently low get ohlins or anze....penskes are good too. but be ready to spend 4k+
What differs between the kw's and the stance coils? are the kw's miles better than pedders springs? also how do the kw's compare in drop to the stance coils. For a street application do you think it's worth buying the kw's or just staying with the stance coils
Old 02-12-2011, 02:40 PM

COOL! your helpful how do you like your stance coilovers...but your saying theyre worse then stock handling wise?
any other suggestions from anyone else?!?!!?!?!!?
they were good for street driving ONLY. the problem is all the coilover over companies with the exception of megan and kw use higher rates in the front then in the rear which is a no no with front wheel drive..

megan uses equal rates but are a complete fail in shock valving and spring design.....kw i forgot the spring rates but they use a german outfit for machining everything and have top nothc valving....but remember this is the kw vairant 2 not the variant 1. the kw variant 1 is similar to stance....
Old 02-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Garret
What differs between the kw's and the stance coils? are the kw's miles better than pedders springs? also how do the kw's compare in drop to the stance coils. For a street application do you think it's worth buying the kw's or just staying with the stance coils
big difference.....stance is china made kw is german made....kw is HIGHER QUALITY. from my experiance the stances have ok valving and poor spring rates but are manufactured pretty good.. a company called hsd actually makes stance and if you can hind a set of hsd for the cobalt they are a little cheaper. kw i feel is a superior product on all ends.

stance will drop about .5" more then the kws.

personally i still think your money is best spent on pedders and fe5 or konis. you get upgraded handling, a decent drop and an easy install. the kw variant 2s are roughly 2k in price, the stances are 1100 i believe and pedders are 365 from crate engine depot plus the price of fe5 struts if you dont have them..... with pedders springs on fe5 struts and or konis the handling is BETTER THEN THE COILOVERS(
Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM

konis were retarded to install...not hard just stupid that u have to reuse your stock strut holder thing and drill a hole in it and everything else. But its worth it cause they ride great.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Well fe5s are good too. But realistically if all anyone cares about is getting low h&r springs are a nice drop.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:55 PM

thanks for the info boosted
Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM

hahahaha someone remembers

welcome!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 PM

i got the megans..good drop easy to adjust and ride smooth
Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM

like i said if all you want is a drop the stances are the way to go..... but like i said ive had them on and off with different spring strut combos and nothing compares to koni or fe5 struts and pedders. we need more options...maybe i should spend serious money on coilovers.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 AM

BUMP!
what about the d2's and ksports? anyone have anything to say about those?
whats the point of buying they kw variant 2's and putting differnt springs on it!

Quick Reply: Coilovers