Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

LNF SS/TC Brembo Calipers Part Numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So that would imply that replacing the knuckles would mean more required replacements. However, you don't have to replace the knuckles with those from the 08s, or you can get the SPO parts that are the upgraded ones for the supercharged cars. Still I wouldn't be surprised if the new knuckles mounted just fine on our equipment, but I'm glad you mentioned that since I hadn't really thought about it before.

Someone wrote a post indicating that the rotors are the same size on the T/C as on the S/C. Let me caution you because this is not entirely true. They are apparently identical except that the new rotors are larger in diameter. The pads on the new calipers would cover more space than there was rotor if you left the S/C rotors on (the new ones are like 0.4" more in diameter).

Wheel offset may be an issue, yes. I'm not sure how much you'd need, but I've already installed different wheel studs and spacers to accomodate Solstice wheels, so I've already spent that money. If you haven't, it may be worth measuring. It is pretty clear just by looknig at them that the new wheels have quite a bit more offset than those from the 05-07 model years.

It seems no one has done this yet, but I have moved it up to the top of my modifications list. On the 1.8 mile, 10-turn track I regularly run, I am always overheating the brakes. Measured temps (after a cool-down lap even) exceed 600 degrees F at times. And since I can buy the parts a piece at a time, I don't have to spend all the money up front for a kit. (Before anyone starts trying to give me suggestions on brake fluids and pads, I've tried many different combinations. The nature of that track makes it inevitable for the brake temps to reach such high levels because of the relative rotor size and vehicle weight.)
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zoidborg
The nature of that track makes it inevitable for the brake temps to reach such high levels because of the relative rotor size and vehicle weight.)
Try stock rotors and calipers on an 85 caprice after 30 laps.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 PM

I don't know a damn thing about brakes, so heres a question....

Could I get another set of front brakes(rotors and pads) and install them on the rear to equal out the size and look of the front brakes?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrodmann

Could I get another set of front brakes(rotors and pads) and install them on the rear to equal out the size and look of the front brakes?
Um....just throw them on? NO. They wont bolt on. Fabricate brackets to make it work, sure. Should you do this? No theres no reason for that much brake on the rear of the car not to mention that you would HAVE to change your master cylinder to a custom unit if you put that much caliper out back, and you'd have to run an adjustable proportioning valve or your ABS is gonna be working overtime as your rear wheels will be locking up constantly. IF you want the matched brake system that goes with the LNF Brembos youll need the rear brakes of an SS/TC, these are larger than SS/SC brakes and use a different caliper as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Okay well I wont be the first one to have the Brembos on an LS most likely as I just sold my calipers and rotors to a local kid. He came in the shop for an oil change on his bright yellow LS with a high rise spoiler(no it wasnt ilovecars) and started asking about getting a big brake kit, like the SS/TC has. I told him a had the Brembo front brakes that the TC has, told him what I wanted for them and he pulled cash out of his wallet(drug dealer or manwhore i guess )

Anyway, Ill just be reordering them again probably by Turkey day, the reason I am posting is to show what the difference is between the SS and non SS knuckles, they are different but you can swap them if you want. You DO NOT however have to swap them, nor do you need balljoints or halfshafts, etc.... just to install the Brembos. I still havent taken measurements with a vernier caliper, but its fairly obvious even in these shitty Blackberry pics that there isnt a mounting pattern difference. What is very clearly visibly is the strengthening ribs cast into the SS knuckle

Old 09-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Maven, I agree with your assessment on the knuckles. I rechecked recently to be sure I didn't miss anything, but it all looks like it should fit if you do choose to get the new knuckles. But you don't need them because the mounting surface on the knuckle matches the location and dimensions on ours. Can't wait to do this myself; probably not until February, though.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jerrodmann

Hope you dont get a flat, we can't put the donut over the brembos
Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 PM

how similar are the brake hoses from the ss/sc to the brembo's on the ss/tc? Does anyone know? For instance could you use stainless braided lines from the ss/sc on a tc?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Pave It All...

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
Hope you dont get a flat, we can't put the donut over the brembos

Old 10-09-2008, 03:33 PM

In a previous car, I had a flat on a wheel with brake upgrades on the rear (from drum to disc). The spare did not fit, so I had to take the front wheel and put it on the rear, then put the spare on the front. Tedious, but it works. I have also looked into the spare that comes on that car; I believe it is a larger 16" that may fit. Then again, I've heard buzz that GM will replace the spare with a "tire inflator kit", which doesn't do much good if a gigantic bolt makes it through the sidewall (been there). Needless to say, I like having a spare. Worst comes to worse, you can still put the spare on the rear and swap rear wheel to front if a front gets blown.

I've seen 08 Malibu knuckles become available through used parts places I work with. Those are the same as the ones on the SS Cobalt and even the SS HHR (beefier than non SS models). I believe they will require the caliper mount bolts because the places they bolt through on the knuckle are larger than on our knuckles.

The question of wheel offset is a good one; glad someone asked. From what I have seen I think you will need more offset than our factory wheels provide, though I am fairly sure the 17s will fit over the brakes diameter wise. Two possible ways to solve this: (1) spacers or (2) new wheels.

For spacers, if you get much more than 4 mm of spacers you will need to replace your lug studs to insure that you get enough contact between the lug nuts and the studs' threads. I've been through this when I got the Solstice wheels, and I have posted somewhere else the right studs to get, and there are fairly inexpensive spacer options available as well. I can share this info with anyone by request. This will allow you to keep the factory wheel appearance. I'd recommend at least 7/16", but I'm not sure that would clear (just over 11mm). I have 15mm spacers now, and that's the largest I feel safe using with the longer wheel studs. But I think those will provide plenty of clearance.

The other option is to get new wheels that have more offset. Judging from the difference between our SS wheels (18") and the new SS wheels, the new wheels are 1/2 inch wider, and that width is all added to the outside of the car, so those wheels' offsets are lower than ours (maybe 10mm give or take).

So, if you stay with 7" wide wheels, subtract about 15mm from our factory wheels' offset (which I don't recall, sorry). If you go to wider wheels, you'll need less offset anyway to make sure that the wheels clear the struts in the front and brake cables (yes) in the rear (speaking from experience here with the Solstice wheels which have tons of offset). If you need any clarification on any of this, feel free to PM me. I hope this all makes sense.

I am looking at the finances, and I believe I am going to start buying the front brake parts today. It's going to be a piece at a time over the next month or two, but I anticipate having the front setup in place in its most basic form within two months. Pictures will be posted, and I will share all insights gained (read trial and error experience) with you all here, naturally. Cannot wait! Every reviewer has spoken of the lack of brake fade in comparison to the supercharged SS (see latest C&D Lightning Lap).
Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zoidborg
In a previous car, I had a flat on a wheel with brake upgrades on the rear (from drum to disc). The spare did not fit, so I had to take the front wheel and put it on the rear, then put the spare on the front. Tedious, but it works. I have also looked into the spare that comes on that car; I believe it is a larger 16" that may fit. Then again, I've heard buzz that GM will replace the spare with a "tire inflator kit", which doesn't do much good if a gigantic bolt makes it through the sidewall (been there). Needless to say, I like having a spare. Worst comes to worse, you can still put the spare on the rear and swap rear wheel to front if a front gets blown.

I've seen 08 Malibu knuckles become available through used parts places I work with. Those are the same as the ones on the SS Cobalt and even the SS HHR (beefier than non SS models). I believe they will require the caliper mount bolts because the places they bolt through on the knuckle are larger than on our knuckles.

The question of wheel offset is a good one; glad someone asked. From what I have seen I think you will need more offset than our factory wheels provide, though I am fairly sure the 17s will fit over the brakes diameter wise. Two possible ways to solve this: (1) spacers or (2) new wheels.

For spacers, if you get much more than 4 mm of spacers you will need to replace your lug studs to insure that you get enough contact between the lug nuts and the studs' threads. I've been through this when I got the Solstice wheels, and I have posted somewhere else the right studs to get, and there are fairly inexpensive spacer options available as well. I can share this info with anyone by request. This will allow you to keep the factory wheel appearance. I'd recommend at least 7/16", but I'm not sure that would clear (just over 11mm). I have 15mm spacers now, and that's the largest I feel safe using with the longer wheel studs. But I think those will provide plenty of clearance.

The other option is to get new wheels that have more offset. Judging from the difference between our SS wheels (18") and the new SS wheels, the new wheels are 1/2 inch wider, and that width is all added to the outside of the car, so those wheels' offsets are lower than ours (maybe 10mm give or take).

So, if you stay with 7" wide wheels, subtract about 15mm from our factory wheels' offset (which I don't recall, sorry). If you go to wider wheels, you'll need less offset anyway to make sure that the wheels clear the struts in the front and brake cables (yes) in the rear (speaking from experience here with the Solstice wheels which have tons of offset). If you need any clarification on any of this, feel free to PM me. I hope this all makes sense.

I am looking at the finances, and I believe I am going to start buying the front brake parts today. It's going to be a piece at a time over the next month or two, but I anticipate having the front setup in place in its most basic form within two months. Pictures will be posted, and I will share all insights gained (read trial and error experience) with you all here, naturally. Cannot wait! Every reviewer has spoken of the lack of brake fade in comparison to the supercharged SS (see latest C&D Lightning Lap).

You bring up a key point with the wheels, offset itself has very little to do with whether or not the wheels will fit, its much more a matter of wheel mounting flange to spoke clearance, most 17s will clear the caliper as far as diameter goes(a few 16s might even, theres easily 20mm clearance on the stock wheels) offset tells us nothing about flange to spoke clearance. something you touched on and is key is that we will most likely need a different offset, however the fact is that you are mmore likely to need a wheel with LESS offset, not more. Stock SS/2.4 wheels will fit fine with a 3mm spacer.(the 3mm spacer effectively reduces offset, but more importantly increase flange-to-spoke clearance)

As far as all the comments regarding spare tires not fitting, well its not recommended to drive with a space saver spare on the front anyway. You should take a good wheel off the back, put it on front and put spare on rear.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

Maven, what about the front Brembo's?

Any chance they will swap over to previous years?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
As far as all the comments regarding spare tires not fitting, well its not recommended to drive with a space saver spare on the front anyway. You should take a good wheel off the back, put it on front and put spare on rear.
Just imagine if the car had a clutch style LSD instead of the Quaife! lol.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Idiot, should have read above.

How much did you get the parts for Maven?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM

Talking

subscribed
Old 10-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan
Idiot, should have read above.

How much did you get the parts for Maven?
I pay below dealer cost, so what I pay isnt really important. But if youve got a 5 lug car or arent afraid of redrilling the rotors, the SS/TC front brake system is without a doubt the least expensive option for a big brake upgrade, for ALL Cobalts /G5s/HHRs.

Besides the fact that I sold my first kit, the only thing keeping me from putting these on is wheel selection, I had planned on running 16s until I decided to go with Brembos, now I have to find a wheel I like/can afford/is light enough/ will fit. My wheel of choice is wicked expensive in 17" and I have no way to verify if it will fit as of yet.

Last edited by Maven; 10-10-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

I was looking into snagging a set but I wasn't interested in paying $800+
Old 10-10-2008, 08:52 PM

I was looking into snagging a set but I wasn't interested in paying $800+
Yeah, everybody says they want big brakes, but when it comes right down to it, few people do it. Its a big expense, even for the least expensive choices. But for the 1%ers of us out there, this is one of a very small assortment of easily assembled or ready to go big brake upgrades available.

99% of people will be best served by high quality rotors, more aggressive pads and stainless braided hoses.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 PM

God They Are Gonna Be Expensive For Sure!!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

Time to get in with a few of my GM techs.

Maven, can you compile a list of the steering wheel components I need with the prices? I might bite the bullet this week
Old 10-10-2008, 10:15 PM

Time to get in with a few of my GM techs.

Maven, can you compile a list of the steering wheel components I need with the prices? I might bite the bullet this week
Can you wait til Monday? I dont have the parts imager at home.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:44 PM

did we ever get a comfirmation of ALL the parts numbers on this thread?

what about rears? they are bigger than stock if i'm going to do the fronts i'm doing the rears.

But i also just had a rear caliper blow out on me today=no brakes for me

About how much is this costing people? fronts and rears?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ryze
did we ever get a comfirmation of ALL the parts numbers on this thread?

what about rears? they are bigger than stock if i'm going to do the fronts i'm doing the rears.

But i also just had a rear caliper blow out on me today=no brakes for me

About how much is this costing people? fronts and rears?
All the part numbers are on this site at least 3 times, just search a little for them.

The rear brakes are actually a bit more than the fronts iirc. Ill post up numbers next week.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 AM

lol, i know.. I didn't ask for part numbers, I want to make sure the part numbers listed are the RIGHT ones
Old 10-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Feel free to have a dealer verify he numbers, I wouldnt have posted the wrong numbers 3 times......

Quick Reply: LNF SS/TC Brembo Calipers Part Numbers?