Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

LNF Strut Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LNF Strut Bar?

Does anyone have any news if any of the supporting vendor plan on making a strut bar for the SS/TC because the SS/SC won't fit are cars
Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM

why again would the ss/tc require one??? u dun put one on corvettes because the chassis was highly developed, same with the ss/tc, far as i know a strut bar wouldn't do anything........i could be wrong tho
Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Please stop talking... corvettes don't have struts therefore they do not require a strut bar... Cobalts on the other hand could benifit from one.. the intake gets in the way and maybe the intercooler piping... But the Cobalt is not a highly engineered chasis, it is just different springs, struts, and sways bar along with a few other things, but it is still a cobalt
Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good question, as I was thinking this the other day. I autocross and would benefit from one. Any vendor??
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ferretts
Please stop talking... corvettes don't have struts therefore they do not require a strut bar... Cobalts on the other hand could benifit from one.. the intake gets in the way and maybe the intercooler piping... But the Cobalt is not a highly engineered chasis, it is just different springs, struts, and sways bar along with a few other things, but it is still a cobalt
lol hey don't be rude i said i wasn't sure, i hate when ppl with more knowledge **** on ppl who don't know as much as them, it's like because they know it everyone else is expected to know it.............how the *** would i know unless someone told me or showed me?? It's ppl like that who make css.net a hostile environment for new members to learn ANYTHING......
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC
lol hey don't be rude i said i wasn't sure, i hate when ppl with more knowledge **** on ppl who don't know as much as them, it's like because they know it everyone else is expected to know it.............how the *** would i know unless someone told me or showed me?? It's ppl like that who make css.net a hostile environment for new members to learn ANYTHING......
That is true on all forums
Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM

i wont one for the looks thats it
Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by psychophyr
That is true on all forums
yup it's very sad because it only allows the 1-2 ppl who wanna deal with the bullshit to learn anything
Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 PM

A strut bar actually has negative effects on the SS/SC and the SS/TC.

People just refuse to believe it and put them on anyway.

Heck I had one before I found this out, now it sits in my garage as decoration.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM

please elaborate, I too find this hard to believe
Old 11-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ferretts
But the Cobalt is not a highly engineered chasis, it is just different springs, struts, and sways bar along with a few other things, but it is still a cobalt
That couldn't be more wrong.

The Cobalt is not a Corvette but both chassis are engineered just the same, just with different end results in mind.

It's not like they took a piece of balsa wood out of some dude's shed and was like, "heck, we're only selling these cars for $15k anyway, lets just use this."

GM has a responsibility to it's consumers to provide them with the best car they possible can for the price.

They forgot that a few years back but that's not the case anymore.

Originally Posted by R4race
please elaborate, I too find this hard to believe
The strut towers are anchored well enough from the factory that tightening them anymore causes a reduction in handling ability.

Does this do it for ya:

Last edited by AlphaJaguar5; 11-13-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 PM

how are strut bars negative though ^ jw. NVM. Just saw post.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 PM

do you have some info on why a strut bar could possibly have negative effects???

I would like to hear this.

I would not directly compare cobalts and corvettes

the cobalt or delta chasis, are all the same, no difference between SS SC or TC or LS

only suspension parts but that was already stated

the charge piping can be replaced with larger pipes, you could do that and at the same time move it around a little to make it so a strut bar will fit.

ask MRZ too, they could play with the bar they have already, they could come up with something if there was enough interest
Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Because people who don't know jack shouldn't be talking let alone giving out advice on something they don't know anything about. This should be common sense, but unfortunately common sense died over a year ago.
If something is out of my league i sure a hell wont talk about it.
The following users liked this post:
Shaun McLoughlin (02-05-2020)
Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by peachpuff
Because people who don't know jack shouldn't be talking let alone giving out advice on something they don't know anything about. This should be common sense, but unfortunately common sense died over a year ago.
If something is out of my league i sure a hell wont talk about it.
and that's why u probably never learn anything, some ppl have to talk about things and put things out there that could be wrong so they can write it in their brain that it's wrong........u don't understand psychology so try and tell me your right and i'm wrong, now STFU.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Jesus, everyone loves to argue.

With the struts being mounted so close to the firewall I see little effect a strut tower brace would have, either positive or negative. The firewall provides a lot of rigidity to the struts.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 PM

and that's why u probably never learn anything, some ppl have to talk about things and put things out there that could be wrong so they can write it in their brain that it's wrong........u don't understand psychology so try and tell me your right and i'm wrong, now STFU.
I learn by doing my research, not by talking out of my ass and being corrected. If this works for you then so be it, but you're always doing this... so it doesn't look like its working for you.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When does the slap fight start? Cool it already.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Moved to Suspension...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The only truly negative affect a strut bar has is it makes your wallet $130 lighter.(ts also possible for a bar to put tension on the tower to shear upper strut mount bolts, saw this happen with a DC bar, it sucks.)
The only positive affect it has is it keeps your wallet from making you sit crooked in the drivers seat.

Strut bars are a waste of money, so are axle tie bars, so is the Tornado, and electric superchargers.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 AM

^^^ Lmao
Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ohlins goodies!

:ragine boner:
Old 11-14-2008, 01:13 AM

i dont know much but will a tighter front end cause any oversteer or understeer since ur unbalancing something already balanced? if that makes any sense. I thought they fucked witht he TC suspension to get it just right. Messin with it more can just screw it up.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gestapo007
i dont know much but will a tighter front end cause any oversteer or understeer since ur unbalancing something already balanced? if that makes any sense. I thought they fucked witht he TC suspension to get it just right. Messin with it more can just screw it up.
Yes, if a front strut bar actually stiffened up the front end, and kept the strut towers in their proper positions it would affect handling. But based on how few people are breaking off strut mount bolts with their bars, or are bending bars, I think its safe to say that these do very little good, if there was a lot of movement up front, youd see evidence of it by shitloads of broken strut bolts(I mean come on...they break at like 20ftlbs )

Heres what I consider to be a relatively big way to tell that these bars arent highly stressed(therefore meaning they arent doing much) They are held in place by bolts tightened to 15 lbft......Let me know another bolt in the suspension that has that low of a torque(HINT, there isnt one, every other bolt is tightened at least two and a half times tighter!)

And again of course lets not forget, that the truly fast Cobalts dont use them(Time Attack, GAC/Koni, T3....) If the Powells, the Aquilantes, John Heinricy, Eric Curran, Jamie Holtom, etc, etc, etc, dont drive/build Cobalts with strut bars, what makes you think its a worthwhile investment for you?
The following users liked this post:
Shaun McLoughlin (02-05-2020)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 PM

sounds like a legeit argument to me.

My fathers Mustang GT Bullit came stock with a pretty hefty strut tower brace and a roush suspension. I was under the impression that the strut would help, and it might for some cars. but not all. They do look pretty in the engine though.

Quick Reply: LNF Strut Bar?