Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

The NEW 1.5" "XXX" Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NEW 1.5" "XXX" Sway Bar

I just installed the new Powell Racing - "XXX" - 1.5" rear sway bar. I've included a few photos to demonstrate and compare:

Three sway bars: Left to Right - "XXX" 1.5" Bar, "Hardcore" 1.25" Bar, Progress 22mm Bar.

Same three but 'end-on' for comparison.

"XXX" Bar mounted - Center, Left, Right, and complete.

(Eiback ProKit springs - I'm driving to Nevada next week and need a better ride, I don't want to get pounded by the autocross suspension - race springs are shown down the page.)

(Custom bent 3" ID cat back exhaust system on left.)

Here are the autocross springs: Eibach 2.5" ID coilover springs - 700 lb fronts & 650 lb rears; Koni strut cartridges and Koni shocks on the rear (note the earlier photos); Ground Control coilover kit; modified B&G camber plates (drilled and tapped to accept the larger diameter Koni cartridges).

Enjoy,
Scott
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 PM

good ****
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 PM

Nice ..you should do a Write up on that suspension setup
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 PM

Damn that thing is huge! Way more than most people will ever need
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 PM

Perhaps I'll take a bunch more photos some time and describe everything in the suspention -- I've done it multiple times but without photos.

I'd have to show my 10 sets of coilover springs to admit all the experimentation I've done over the past several years, I even have NASCAR type spring rubbers from trying to make 'regular' springs work -- and I've admitted to owning three different sway bars...

Here are a couple photos from the Houston SCCA National Tour event - on the Hardcore bar, only 550 lb springs front and rear, and the car was sitting about 3/4" higher than it does now (it's 1000 miles from Colorado to south of Houston, I needed a little clearance). The photos aren't great, they're from my cell phone camera, but it gives you an overview. The tires are my smaller 255/35 x 18 Hoosiers, I left the 285s at home for this trip.

(The logo on the hood and behind the doors is from Copperhead Road, a club in Colorado Springs that helps cover my costs - specifically, they're getting me four new slicks before the SCCA Nationals.)

Scott

Last edited by scottherbert; 04-27-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 PM

So, BG camber plates on Koni cartridges ehh??

I NEED this bar! But, the season has started and all play money goes to seat time right now. Looking forward to your opinion after your first event with it. Thanks for the updates
Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 PM

whats the cost of making that setup minus the konis doing that with the camber plates...eibach and a tc strut
Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jboogie
So, BG camber plates on Koni cartridges ehh??

I NEED this bar! But, the season has started and all play money goes to seat time right now. Looking forward to your opinion after your first event with it. Thanks for the updates
The front GC suspension is ugly, but it works, and works quite well. I should have added that I have Torrington bearings under (between the spring and the GS kit) the springs up front to prevent spring bind under load.

I've only driven around town so far no the bar (some in the snow) and it's nice - but, as I mentioned, I'm about to do a road trip and I switched to my ProKit springs for the long ride. The wheels are one of a couple of sets of 17" wheels I have left over from my Redline - and they clear the Brembos - using 235/45 x 17 Kumhos.

The B&Gs work well. It took a lot of care to drill and tap everything to allow the Koni 14mm shaft, but it turned out well. You can buy the B&G plates separately.

I'm thinking seriously about buying some of the new Goodyear 275/35 x 18s (DOT legal slicks intended to compete heads up with Hoosier for the autocross market) before the Nationals. I've heard good things about them...

Scott
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SlowBalt_06
whats the cost of making that setup minus the konis doing that with the camber plates...eibach and a tc strut
When I bought my B&Gs, I think they were about $200 - I'm not sure how much they are today, but probably close.

You'd have to measure/figure out how big the TC bolt hole is and then (most likely) drill and tap the B&Gs to fit. I'm pretty sure they're around 12mm. It's hard to drill a nice straight hole so I suggest going to a machine shop or similar and have them to the drilling and tapping by machine to get a perfect fit.

Scott
Old 04-28-2011, 12:01 AM

Camber plates added to the fall shopping list, gonna stay off coilovers as long as possible.

Will be interesting to see who has the guts to make the switch to the Goodyears.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 AM

now you just need to climb pikes peak and set a record %_%
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM

tis a nice setup....i cant wait to see all the morons who buy the bar because of the name.....all i can say is inexperiance + wet conditions equals crash crash crash lol.

looks good man. hopefully the bar gets you where you need to be.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good write up Scott. I have modified "ground control" camber plates to use in grand am cobalt builds, and I am making a set for an auto x er as we speak.

I am not a fan of Koni's but they may be the way to go especially if they take what they learned in Koni grand am racing and give us that valving.

the next step will be an adjustable rear set up, will talk about that when its done....good luck , nice clean car 4 sure....
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Adjustable sway bar, adjustable alignment?? Anything adjustable on the rear would be so great.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM

^^^ nice car in the sig is it wingless? (*I hope*)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 PM

no its not.....thats the one with 17x9s 255s
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
^^^ nice car in the sig is it wingless? (*I hope*)
nope, still rockin the highrise for the placebo effect on track

I'm sure I'll go wingless one day, boy racer look on the street is gettin old.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 PM

unfortunately i am too...will be changing that soon with the most badass piece ever.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 PM

mmm, big bar is big...too big for my needs, but theres a few people on here that will put it to good use
Old 04-29-2011, 08:28 PM

UPDATE - Initial Report

So I got the XXX on the car wednesday morning and it had been raining and snowing that morning (as you tell by the pictures - driveway's still wet). I took the car out and 'threw it around' a bit just to see how it handled - in the SNOW AND RAIN. I then drove it back and forth to work yesterday (sunny and warm) and today (overcast and threatening).

1) I drove it in the rain and snow, and pitched the car both ways just to see how much (if any) excessive oversteer I got -- I got none!

2) In fact, I got some understeer on my 245/45 x 17 Hankook R-S2s on wet/snowy pavement whipping it into 360 turns at speed.

3) It felt very solid -- keeping in mind that I'm on Eibach ProKit springs, I have a front lower suspension crossbrace, I have about -1.5 degrees of negative camber at both ends, and I have replaced the rubber in the LCAs. And, to be blunt, I have a substantial amount of practice driving a Cobalt SS at its limits -- I know how a Cobalt feels when the backend is loose.

4) I'm impressed! It handles BETTER than before. It delivers a very solid, steady feeling, no indications of oversteer - even in traffic up in Denver and on the freeway at 80 - overall the best bar I used to date.

5) I've also tried a couple fast off ramps. I don't get any uncomfortable feelings at all. Because of the way it helps plant the front tires, the car feels generally steadier than it has before.

I'm sure, if someone were to be really stupid, you could make the car (any car) get out of control, but I don't think anybody would have any trouble with this bar if you're using your head even a little. I've looked for weaknesses in the 1.5" bar - oversteer, etc. - and I don't see any yet!

Personal opinion, this should have been the first bar built. It's too bad we''ve had to wait so long. Remember, we're not talking about a stiff rear bar on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle - just the opposite.

I'll add info when I get it out on an autocross course and feel it at the limit. I probably won't be able to get out until later in May.

Scott

Last edited by scottherbert; 04-30-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So these bars are worth it? From the pictures it looks like it would do nothing at all. But i dont understand how suspension works. :|
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by scottherbert
So I got the XXX on the car wednesday morning and it had been raining and snowing that morning (as you tell by the pictures - driveway's still wet). I took the car out and 'threw it around' a bit just to see how it handled - in the SNOW AND RAIN. I then drove it back and forth to work yesterday (sunny and warm) and today (overcast and threatening).

1) I drove it in the rain and snow, and pitched the car both ways just to see how much (if any) excessive oversteer I got -- I got none!

2) In fact, I got some understeer on my 245/45 x 18 Hankook R-S2s on wet/snowy pavement whipping it into 360 turns at speed.

3) It felt very solid -- keeping in mind that I'm on Eibach ProKit springs, I have a front lower suspension crossbrace, I have about -1.5 degrees of negative camber at both ends, and I have replaced the rubber in the LCAs. And, to be blunt, I have a substantial amount of practice driving a Cobalt SS at its limits -- I know how a Cobalt feels when the backend is loose.

4) I'm impressed! It handles BETTER than before. It delivers a very solid, steady feeling, no indications of oversteer - even in traffic up in Denver and on the freeway at 80 - overall the best bar I used to date.

5) I've also tried a couple fast off ramps. I don't get any uncomfortable feelings at all. Because of the way it helps plant the front tires, the car feels generally steadier than it has before.

I'm sure, if someone were to be really stupid, you could make the car (any car) get out of control, but I don't think anybody would have any trouble with this bar if you're using your head even a little. I've looked for weaknesses in the 1.5" bar - oversteer, etc. - and I don't see any yet!

Personal opinion, this should have been the first bar built. It's too bad we''ve had to wait so long. Remember, we're not talking about a stiff rear bar on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle - just the opposite.

I'll add info when I get it out on an autocross course and feel it at the limit. I probably won't be able to get out until later in May.

Scott
Apparently you have the front beefed up enough to counter any added rear stiffness. Front shocks and springs are really substantial and are more than a *match* for what you have on the rear set up.
That front lower brace certainly makes the front very stiff as well. This doesn't surprise me...after all, you have FWD to boot. Nice feedback!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by cranemaster
So these bars are worth it? From the pictures it looks like it would do nothing at all. But i dont understand how suspension works. :|
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha hmm already have hardcore do i need the xxx hmm lol well see
Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
lol someone needs to read up on suspension basics...

Quick Reply: The NEW 1.5" "XXX" Sway Bar