Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Possible to remove the front struts without air tools on SS/TC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possible to remove the front struts without air tools on SS/TC?

I have finally put my CM springs in the rear already yesterday. I plan on doing the front struts of my SS/TC without air tools. I plan on renting an compressor kit from my local Autozone. I need to know the socket sizes for the top main bolt and the other two I have to remove. I have a 1/2 ratchet to do the job for the top main bolt that is holding the strut together. Is it possible to remove the front struts without air tools. I can understand this is dangerous, but I plan on doing this at my own risk. What are the main bolts do I need to do the fronts? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Loosen up the bolt before you take it off the car. Thats how I did it, if you take it off before you loosen the bolt, your going to need an impact
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine with an electric impact. but you definatley need a spring compressor.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i didnt use any air tools to get my struts off and i did it twice now swapping out the springs thats a diff story lol i just take them down to a local tire store and they charge you $20-40 and they have it done within a few mins waaay easier
Old 02-13-2011, 02:09 PM

what are the socket sizes needed? I have a 1/2 ratchet. What are the socket size for the the top bolt holding the strut together and the other two?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Alright If you're gonna remove the front struts know this: You're not supposed to remove the top center bolt from the struts, the spring is likely to shoot out since its under unsprung pressure. I didnt know that when i removed my struts but i got lucky cuz it didnt shoot out.
The correct way: remove the top three bolts around the center bolt and then use a spring compressor to get the spring out once the strut is removed.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4dr-RS
Alright If you're gonna remove the front struts know this: You're not supposed to remove the top center bolt from the struts, the spring is likely to shoot out since its under unsprung pressure. I didnt know that when i removed my struts but i got lucky cuz it didnt shoot out.
The correct way: remove the top three bolts around the center bolt and then use a spring compressor to get the spring out once the strut is removed.
Loosen the center bolt, don't take it off. Thought that was common sense, it you take it completely off, of course the spring is goin to come out
Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4dr-RS
Thanks for the tip. Now if I can get the socket size I need to remove the main bolt on top holding the strut together and the other two.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by efactor
Thanks for the tip. Now if I can get the socket size I need to remove the main bolt on top holding the strut together and the other two.
Don't you have a complete socket set? Just fit them on until you got the right size. If you don't have a socket set, then I'd advise you to not even do it yourself. Everyone has to at least have a socket set
Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jmesl8er
Don't you have a complete socket set? Just fit them on until you got the right size. If you don't have a socket set, then I'd advise you to not even do it yourself. Everyone has to at least have a socket set
haha even a walmart socket set will do
Old 02-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Thanks, I plan on doing the front struts myself and save that extra $50 and get a wheel alignment done afterwards.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Why just the front, Rear takes literally like 10 minutes to do, the rear was the easiest thing I have ever done to a car
Old 02-13-2011, 02:33 PM

Why just the front, Rear takes literally like 10 minutes to do, the rear was the easiest thing I have ever done to a car
if you read my post, I already done the rear springs yesterday. I just got front left to do, which it won't be done till tomorrow cause I have work today. So tomorrow, purchase socket set for my 1/2 ratchet, get a compressor kit to rent, do the struts, pray to God my Jack will clear after I'm done, take pics, and get a wheel alignment, and a have a Four Loko .
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=efactor;5562086]if you read my post, I already done the rear springs yesterday. I just got front left to do, which it won't be done till tomorrow cause I have work today. So tomorrow, purchase socket set for my 1/2 ratchet, get a compressor kit to rent, do the struts, pray to God my Jack will clear after I'm done, take pics, and get a wheel alignment, and a have a Four Loko .[/QUOT

sorry, did'nt see that. Really don't need an air compressor though, just break the center bolt loose, then take the strut out. Bolt has like 18 turns on it, breaking it loose will not cause the spring to shoot out or anything like that. and a lot cheaper than renting an air compressor
Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM

There's actually a forum on here somewhere that has very detailed pics of how to do it start to finish
Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=jmesl8er;5562098]
if you read my post, I already done the rear springs yesterday. I just got front left to do, which it won't be done till tomorrow cause I have work today. So tomorrow, purchase socket set for my 1/2 ratchet, get a compressor kit to rent, do the struts, pray to God my Jack will clear after I'm done, take pics, and get a wheel alignment, and a have a Four Loko .[/QUOT

sorry, did'nt see that. Really don't need an air compressor though, just break the center bolt loose, then take the strut out. Bolt has like 18 turns on it, breaking it loose will not cause the spring to shoot out or anything like that. and a lot cheaper than renting an air compressor
I believe that he is renting the spring compressor instead of taking it to a shop and having it done.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=emiller;5562130]

I believe that he is renting the spring compressor instead of taking it to a shop and having it done.
Does'nt need an air compressor, he can do it all his self without it. All he needs is a socket set, spring compressors, some wrenches, and a jack. And with the pics of how to do it on one of the forums in here, he's all good
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM

...just break the center bolt loose, then take the strut out. Bolt has like 18 turns on it, breaking it loose will not cause the spring to shoot out or anything like that.
+2 on breaking the nut loose while the whole assembly is still safely bolted in the car. You only need to loosen it a couple turns.

There is a How-To on this site where they remove the whole strut assembly from the car first before loosening the bolt; that's probably the safest way but you need a large vise or some way to clamp the strut into place so you can hold it still. The nut is very tight.

However, with either method you'll discover the shaft inside the nut wants to spin and prevent you from loosening the nut. You need a way to hold the shaft tightly so you can turn just the nut. I used a spark plug socket of the correct size to turn the nut, and inside the socket I used a 1/4"-drive allen socket and a 1/4"-drive extension and ratchet to hold the shaft. With a standard wrench on the spark plug socket and the 1/4"-drive ratchet on the shaft, I was able to do it no problem.

Then when I installed my new struts I found they came with a different size nut on top. So I had to use a different size spark plug socket! Annoying, but it worked.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 PM

I was planning to take the strut out and have one foot on top of one of the spring compressors and turn the top nut with a deep socket with a 1/2 inch ratchet.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 PM
G11

impact is the way to go...but i work at a tire/alignment shop....i did my drop kit in 45 min, including jackin the car up on the lift.

sometimes the center bolt will break loose and then you sit there and keep turning it and it doesn't seem like it is loosening anymore that is because the absorber is spinning as well...if you aren't reuseing the struts then take vise grips to it to keep it from moving
Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by css9450
+2 on breaking the nut loose while the whole assembly is still safely bolted in the car. You only need to loosen it a couple turns.

There is a How-To on this site where they remove the whole strut assembly from the car first before loosening the bolt; that's probably the safest way but you need a large vise or some way to clamp the strut into place so you can hold it still. The nut is very tight.

However, with either method you'll discover the shaft inside the nut wants to spin and prevent you from loosening the nut. You need a way to hold the shaft tightly so you can turn just the nut. I used a spark plug socket of the correct size to turn the nut, and inside the socket I used a 1/4"-drive allen socket and a 1/4"-drive extension and ratchet to hold the shaft. With a standard wrench on the spark plug socket and the 1/4"-drive ratchet on the shaft, I was able to do it no problem.

Then when I installed my new struts I found they came with a different size nut on top. So I had to use a different size spark plug socket! Annoying, but it worked.
Yeah I notice I'm going to need an 1/4 allen for the top center bolt and using my deep socket to turn it. I'm gonna try to loosen the bolt on center top and have the compressor kit assemble under the wheel well to hold the spring from shooting out and keep turning the center bolt.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I notice I'm going to need an 1/4 allen for the top center bolt and using my deep socket to turn it. I'm gonna try to loosen the bolt on center top and have the compressor kit assemble under the wheel well to hold the spring from shooting out and keep turning the center bolt.
No, just leave the car on the wheels and tires, pop the hood, and try to loosen those 2 strut nuts. Don't even bother with the torx wrench (it's not an allen). The weight of the car will help keep it from turning. If you have an impact this is even easier.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Project complete, now its dark. LOL, I was taking my sweet time to make sure top main bolts are tight and secured before putting it back underneath the wheel well. So no air tools were needed or wheel alignment. My car is going where I tell it to go. My jack cleared, so Thank God. Unfortunate I got to replace one bolt that broke on my strut when I tried tighten the main bolt on top; its one of the three bolts on top. I can do that tomorrow and make sure all my bolts are secured and have fun. I'll upload a pic with the CM's lowered tomorrow. So I'm happy with the Canuck Motorsports Lowering Springs.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM

Project complete, now its dark. LOL, I was taking my sweet time to make sure top main bolts are tight and secured before putting it back underneath the wheel well. So no air tools were needed or wheel alignment. My car is going where I tell it to go. My jack cleared, so Thank God. Unfortunate I got to replace one bolt that broke on my strut when I tried tighten the main bolt on top; its one of the three bolts on top. I can do that tomorrow and make sure all my bolts are secured and have fun. I'll upload a pic with the CM's lowered tomorrow. So I'm happy with the Canuck Motorsports Lowering Springs.
If you lowered your car, your going to need an alignment, even if it feels ok, your tires will thank you for it
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM

If you lowered your car, your going to need an alignment, even if it feels ok, your tires will thank you for it
gonna check after they settle, but I'm getting one if needed.

Quick Reply: Possible to remove the front struts without air tools on SS/TC?