Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Stock G85 suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock G85 suspension question

when you compare the g85 suspension to the ford focus hatchback with an upgraded suspension. Around turns who has better cornering? trying to put someone in there place tired of hearing that there car might have better suspension on corners
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM

G85 is for limited slip and Recaro's, not suspension. However the limited slip will greatly increase traction in the turns.

If i am not mistaken the Focus is a close to 7 year old lump with practically no updates and was never tuned on the Nurburgring in Germany. You should quited easily handle the Focus.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:14 PM

The Focus ZX3 or ZX4 ST will outhandle the SS in a slalom.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I've gotta say the focus is no slouch when it comes to handling.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by thatdaveguy
The Focus ZX3 or ZX4 ST will outhandle the SS in a slalom.
Probably true. The SS/SC has great lateral grip, but it does have some body roll, and when you get to tossing it back and forth, it will suffer a little. A little stiffening will go a long way there. Stock for stock, on regular turns it should out-perform any model of Focus. But it's also much more comfortable.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:24 PM

actually, regardless of suspension, it really depends on the driver. You can have a confident/educated driver in a base model neon outrun a scared driver in a Z06. But with two equal drivers, the Cobalt should take the Focus.

Hate to say it but in handling, its all a matter of who has the bigger sack! lol

the guy who is not scared, will always win.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 AM

as long as there not over confident
Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Mmk

Yeah, he's trying to put "someone" in their place but in reality, this other "someone" needs to learn how to drive a stick before talking smack about beating ME in the corners. I've beaten a lot of things in the corners, and I have alot of work done to it, more than any stock cobalt has. Like I say.... you can have the straights I don't care, but you aren't going to be able to keep up with me in the corners. And btw, this has nothing to do with anyone else on this forum... I dont know how any of you drive, I'm sure there are some with some beefed up suspension, and I'm sure there are better drivers than me out there... and I'm cool with that, I'm not really trying to beat everybody lol. I just like going fast around corners, and I know for a fact that this person needs to quit talking smack about driving fast around turns until he learns how to properly drive a stick shift. What are you on 4 hours now??

When you learn how to drive, then we can talk about going around corners. Aiiiight ??
Old 07-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by unkillsam
G85 is for limited slip and Recaro's, not suspension. However the limited slip will greatly increase traction in the turns.

If i am not mistaken the Focus is a close to 7 year old lump with practically no updates and was never tuned on the Nurburgring in Germany. You should quited easily handle the Focus.
a 7 year old lump? lol alright, well is that why they used the same suspension for racing in WRC?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:33 PM

Foci (is that right or Focus's) anyways, have independ rear which helps a ton in the twisties.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 PM

it's all about spring rates and driver confidence.

I'm not sure about the Cobalt, but the focus has a 110 in/lb front spring rate and a 117 in/lb rear spring rate, which is a lot more than the Cavalier or Honda Civic could ever claim from the factory.

Pair that with the independent suspension in the rear, you've got one helluva handling car.

On my suspension on my Focus ZX3 I've passed GTO's in the corners, but I am a confident driver.

My spring rates are as follows: 136 front/ 190 rear then you add in the progressive rates which are as follows: 160 front/ 280 rear. I also have them paired up with KYB AGX's....so I've pretty much got a racing suspension.

Ricky, If you are confident in your car on a stock suspension, I'd be glad to test you sometime when I come back to NC or if you'd like to test it here in Texas, the invitation is open.

I really dig cobalts, but through my years between driving Chevy's and Fords.....I do have to say that the Focus my have you.

And let me add also that the SVT suspension is straight off of a ST170 from Europe, so that suspension was tested on the Ring and the Suspension on the focus was just recently upgraded for the 2005-2006 year models. I believe the spring rates are the same, but the dampeners are stiffer....IIRC.

dave.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ieatriceforbreakfast
Yeah, he's trying to put "someone" in their place but in reality, this other "someone" needs to learn how to drive a stick before talking smack about beating ME in the corners. I've beaten a lot of things in the corners, and I have alot of work done to it, more than any stock cobalt has. Like I say.... you can have the straights I don't care, but you aren't going to be able to keep up with me in the corners. And btw, this has nothing to do with anyone else on this forum... I dont know how any of you drive, I'm sure there are some with some beefed up suspension, and I'm sure there are better drivers than me out there... and I'm cool with that, I'm not really trying to beat everybody lol. I just like going fast around corners, and I know for a fact that this person needs to quit talking smack about driving fast around turns until he learns how to properly drive a stick shift. What are you on 4 hours now??

When you learn how to drive, then we can talk about going around corners. Aiiiight ??

If They are so good in handling in corners!
1)Why are they not in the time attack finishes.
2)Any1 can corner at 20 mph
3)Dont see to many focus's out running a Cobalt ss/sc on a Track with corners.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlilBT
If They are so good in handling in corners!
1)Why are they not in the time attack finishes.
2)Any1 can corner at 20 mph
3)Dont see to many focus's out running a Cobalt ss/sc on a Track with corners.

Have you actually ran a Focus or are you just making something up just to post something and be part of the conversation?

dave.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:21 PM

I dont know exactly what mods we are talking about here but I'd have to go with the focus on this one. I have a 01 GTI thats modded on the suspension side and it can take my SS/SC without even breaking a sweat. The VW also is extremely front heavy (VR6 is one porker) and hence normally suffers from tremendous understeer, however with the mods I have, I can inflict oversteer at any moment and can hold it through a turn if I wish. However with the Cobalt, you can inflict some oversteer, but its generally much less controllable.

I think for our cobalts to be competitive cornering wise, we need some a good set of dampers, bigger rear sway, some bracing and some stickier tires. I don't know about you all, but these Pirellis are kililng me!

I would also like to add that drivers do add a significant part of the cornering aspect. A lot of it has to do with being able to feel and read the car while modulating the throttle and brakes at the correct points. One problem I've noticed with a lot of drivers while auto-xing is they use the pedals as an on and off switch which is one of the worst things you can do. From what I've felt, the cobalt has some serious weight transfer / balance issues especially in the rear end, if someone were able to harness it and really learn the car, this thing could be a nice contender.

With all of that said, two equally skilled drivers in these two cars, the Focus and Cobalt, the Focus would more than likely take the win. The competition really comes in when they are equally modded.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM

BTW Dave, its not all about spring rates, other characteristics come into play like geometry, dampers, structural stiffness, bushings, tires etc.

Just as an example, on any 99-06 GTi's, if you are to lower them, you are worsening the geometry buy inverting the lower control arms. If you were running 450 lb springs in the car, you would get your ass handed to you by a car that was .5 inch higher than stock with a 350 lb spring, having everything else constant.

One more thing, try not to be so defensive in "enemy territory", it makes people want to agree with you less and give you well thought out opinions which is REALLY what you want.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:10 AM

I test drove the Focus ZX3 and Pursuit GT today.

I did end up buying the Pursuit GT, but the Focus was definitely the handler winner. It instilled total confidence, whereas the Pontiac seemed a little unsettled in an aggressive corner.