Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Suspension and brake facts (FE1, FE3, FE5, J41, JM4, JL9)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First post should be updated to reflect the fact that the FE3 and FE5 have different LCA's. All IRL's have FE3 BTW, they didn't get updated in 2005 or even 2007.

Weight difference netween the FE3 LCA's and FE5's is 2.2 lbs, with the FE5 arms being both lighter and stiffer/stronger. And yes, they will bolt directly to FE3 equipped cars. The double slot clamp is for the front sway bar, the arms will work fine with the FE3 swaybar (you cannot add the FE5 swaybar without upfgrading the clamp/block).

Anyone know if the LSJ cars master cylinder is similar/same in size to the LNF cars? I am debating getting the new factory setup vs an aftermarket big brake upgrade for my '05 IRL.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FE3 and FE5 LCA's are the same. I think you meant to say FE1's.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 PM

No, I meant FE3, as in Ion Redline front suspension. The FE3 lower control arms are steel instead of alloy, weigh 2.2 lbs more, and aren't as stiff. That would be why IRL owners who really intend to track their cars switch to the CSS FE5 LCA's.

From Maven's post above:

FE3
Lower control arms: 15787556/15787555( L/R, aluminum, NOT the same as FE5)
FE5
Lower control arm: 15803766/15803767( L/R, right same as LNF)
I have verified this twice with dealership parts departments and a well known GM FWD chop shop. Numerous IRL owners have made the switch and report the difference upon recieving the new arms, and one guy finally weighed them for us.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBrother
First post should be updated to reflect the fact that the FE3 and FE5 have different LCA's.
I think its denoted pretty clearly that FE3 and FE5 arms arent the same in my posts.

The double slot clamp is for the front sway bar, the arms will work fine with the FE3 swaybar (you cannot add the FE5 swaybar without upfgrading the clamp/block).
You can mix and match LCA's and sway bars however you like the LCA and the sway dont connect to each other. You absolutely CAN upgrade to the FE5 sway bar without using the 2 bolt clamp. I have had both FE5 sway bars on my LS, and I am still using the 1bolt/1 slot clamps. You simply need to use the proper bushing(see my posts)

Anyone know if the LSJ cars master cylinder is similar/same in size to the LNF cars? I am debating getting the new factory setup vs an aftermarket big brake upgrade for my '05 IRL.
The master cylinder is not the same between the two cars. BUT its not an issue unless you intend to run the LNF rear brakes. The front Brembos will work happily with the LSJ master cylinder.

The FE3 lower control arms are steel instead of alloy
FE3 arms are not steel, they are aluminum alloy. And Ive never seen a factory LSJ powered car with steel LCAs regardless of RPO

You are correct that the IRLs dont have FE5, but thats not to say they dont have comparable arms. Saturn uses FE1, FE2, FE3. Chevy uses FE1, FE3, FE5. 2004 IRLs only have two control arms(fe1 and fe2/3, all may be steel) Later cars have 3 unique arms just like Cobalts do. its hard to make a direct comparison because none of the part numbers are the same.

Last edited by Maven; 11-11-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Hmm. That is conflicting information (re steel/alloy) from what I've got. Regardless - the FE5 are different, lighter, and stiffer; so I'm going to run them and the info needs updated, lol.

My understanding is that you can run the FEW5 LCA's or the FE5 control arms, but not both. If you know otherwise, that's good info! Not that I think I need more fronst swaybar, but ya' never know - espeically with the obscene front rubber I'll have for the track setup I'm workign on (custom widebody, 9 or 10 inch wide wheels, 285 to 305 wide rubber).

Now I will look into what would be involved in swapping the master cylinder vs just keeping my rears I guess. Wouldn't mind going to thebigger/vented rear disks though...

For posterity, it also bears mentioning in this thread that the IRL's have issues wth camber plates. I haven't seen it mentioned much elsewhere, and since the first post indicates that this thread applies to all of these cars - we have a totally ghey single bolt clamshell top mounting system and the towers are rounded on top. No bolt holes for camber plates, no flat surface to drill into and mount them even if there were.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:06 PM

Okay, youre all confused..........

Hmm. That is conflicting information (re steel/alloy) from what I've got. Regardless - the FE5 are different, lighter, and stiffer; so I'm going to run them and the info needs updated, lol.
How is it different info than what youve got?? You quoted MY post, which clearly states that FE3 and FE5 are both alloy. Whats confusing/conflicting is why you think all IRLs have steel lower control arms. Ive never seen an IRL with sttel arms, and most of the IRLs I see are totally stock.

My understanding is that you can run the FEW5 LCA's or the FE5 control arms, but not both. If you know otherwise, that's good info! Not that I think I need more fronst swaybar,
Okay, what are you talking about here? You say that you think you can run FE5 LCA's or FE5 control arms, but not both. LCA stands for Lower Control Arm. They are the same part. You also mention the FE5 sway bar...... You can run the FE5 sway with any control arms. the sway bar and the control arms dont bolt to each other.

Now I will look into what would be involved in swapping the master cylinder vs just keeping my rears I guess. Wouldn't mind going to thebigger/vented rear disks though...
Okay, again.....stop for a second. You can install the Brembo front brakes without changing master cylinder. The only reason you should change the master is if you change the rear brakes. if you keep your rear brakes the master cylinder does not need to be changed

.... and since the first post indicates that this thread applies to all of these cars ......:
Neither the first post, nor any other post in this thread iindicates that this information applies to all Delta bodies. In fact it specifically states that it only directly applies to the Cobalt. The Ion and HHR are very similar but have differences which make them unique and much of this information doesnt relate driectly to them.

Last edited by Maven; 11-11-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM

First part - my information indicated that the FE3 arms were steel. I am not saying it;s correct, I'm saying that's what I'd got until now. The rest oft eh paragraph is merely restating that they are differen;t, so teh first post should be moddified.

Second part - my bad, typing faster than thinking, I meant LCA's and swaybar (as you correctly deduced). I have been informed that the FE3 uses a single bolt/clamp connection and teh FE5 a different "block" and clamp with 2 bolts; one for swaybar and one for LCA. Again I am open to this being wrong, it's just what I've got from several sources on Redlineforums and elswhere. If the FE5 bar AND LCA can be used on a stock FE3 equipped car without welding in hte "block" I keep hearing about - cool! Tell me how, 'cuz I'll do it. <--- not sarcastic, sorry if it sounds that way

Third part - what you said is what I said. Worded differently - I'll have to decide whether or not it's worth upgrading the master and getting all 4 upgraded vs keeping my master as is and just upgrading teh front. Sure wouldn't mind larger, vented rear rotors, but I could live without them if the master cylinder is a bitch to swap work- and cost-wise.

Last part - the first post indicated that this info was being put forth to benifit all the cars with these suspensions, thus I included that last bit rather than being concerned with it's being off-topic for being Ion specific in what would otherwise be a Cobalt-only thread. Does that make sense, lol? Didn't want to post "off topic", but figured plenty of Ion owners would probably find this thread in teh fullness of time.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Update bump. I am still looking for the weight of the stamped steel control arms versus the aluminum ones, and the spring rates of the various different suspensions.

I'm actually stick stuck out on the road. They can't get the part they need for the plane, so I'm still sitting here in the hotel. Yeay!

Maven, we could use the part numbers of the 4*100 and 5*110 wheel hub assemblies.
This just in weighed them myself:
"Redline steel flca 8.4 lbs. Cobalt alloy flca 6.1 lbs."... this ends the broadcast from world headquarters
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM

First part - my information indicated that the FE3 arms were steel. I am not saying it;s correct, I'm saying that's what I'd got until now. The rest oft eh paragraph is merely restating that they are differen;t, so teh first post should be moddified.
Gotcha.....Ive been informed by someone I trust a great deal that early IRLs have steel arms. I dont know when they switched, but I "think" its 05, as the CSS has always had alloy arms.

Second part - my bad, typing faster than thinking, I meant LCA's and swaybar (as you correctly deduced). I have been informed that the FE3 uses a single bolt/clamp connection and teh FE5 a different "block" and clamp with 2 bolts; one for swaybar and one for LCA. Again I am open to this being wrong, it's just what I've got from several sources on Redlineforums and elswhere. If the FE5 bar AND LCA can be used on a stock FE3 equipped car without welding in hte "block" I keep hearing about - cool! Tell me how, 'cuz I'll do it. <--- not sarcastic, sorry if it sounds that way
Again, I am not sure about the IRL, but on the CSS '05 FE5 cars use the bolt/slot style clamp and '06 cars switched to 2bolts, after it was found that the 1bolt clamps can fail under heavy use. I have the FE5 bar installed in my 08 Cobalt right now, using the early 1 bolt style clamp(this is still the stock clamp on the FE1 cars) While I must admit I have never replaced a stabilizer bar on an IRL, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the rear lower control bolt goes through the bar clamp. It doesnt on the 2nd design CSS, and it just wouldnt make any sense to do that on the IRL, looking at the service manual it doesnt appear that it does.

Third part - what you said is what I said. Worded differently - I'll have to decide whether or not it's worth upgrading the master and getting all 4 upgraded vs keeping my master as is and just upgrading teh front. Sure wouldn't mind larger, vented rear rotors, but I could live without them if the master cylinder is a bitch to swap work- and cost-wise.
Work wise, its probably about 1.5 hours extra max. And I think full retail on the cylinder is only like $100. The expensive part is the rear brakes Youll pay more for the rear brakes than you probably will for the fronts and the m/c.

Originally Posted by qwikredline
This just in weighed them myself:
"Redline steel flca 8.4 lbs. Cobalt alloy flca 6.1 lbs."... this ends the broadcast from world headquarters
Yes, youre findings agree with my own extensive research that shows that the alloy controls arms offer a 27% weight savings over steel.

Thanks for that, Ive been too busy(lazy?) to put my FE5 arms back on and use a scale.

Last edited by Maven; 11-11-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maven
Gotcha.....Ive been informed by someone I trust a great deal that early IRLs have steel arms. I dont know when they switched, but I "think" its 05, as the CSS has always had alloy arms.

Again, I am not sure about the IRL, but on the CSS '05 FE5 cars use the bolt/slot style clamp and '06 cars switched to 2bolts, after it was found that the 1bolt clamps can fail under heavy use. I have the FE5 bar installed in my 08 Cobalt right now, using the early 1 bolt style clamp(this is still the stock clamp on the FE1 cars) While I must admit I have never replaced a stabilizer bar on an IRL, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the rear lower control bolt goes through the bar clamp. It doesnt on the 2nd design CSS, and it just wouldnt make any sense to do that on the IRL, looking at the service manual it doesnt appear that it does.

Work wise, its probably about 1.5 hours extra max. And I think full retail on the cylinder is only like $100. The expensive part is the rear brakes Youll pay more for the rear brakes than you probably will for the fronts and the m/c.

Yes, youre findings agree with my own extensive research that shows that the alloy controls arms offer a 27% weight savings over steel.

Thanks for that, Ive been too busy(lazy?) to put my FE5 arms back on and use a scale.
if you use the LNF master cylinder you gotta use the power booster as well, the reservoir is different etc...

The sway bar bolts to the cradle itself NOTHING to do with the cradle through bolts; the rear cradle through bolts go through the flca trailing bushing. The sway bar clamps its easy weld in an extra nut on the cradle and use the Cobalt busings and clamp. Or not. I did not. My Redline is fine. I had the cradle out last month and checked it. 38,000 miles all highway /track /hard life but put way dry...also power grid drop links, spherical jointed and delrin bushed Cobalt alloy flca, eibach springs stock shocks (Cobalt not Redline damping) big brakes etc. Cobalt drop links 9.3/4 inches center to center, Redline longer about 12 inches or just under

Last edited by qwikredline; 11-11-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm old school

Good stuff guys. Thanks for those weight numbers.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would 2007 FE3 lower control arms work on my 05 SS/SC ???
Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 AM

yes.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Banned

Whoa! Why would you want FE3 lower control arms on a SC? Did I miss something in this thread?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dave7417
Whoa! Why would you want FE3 lower control arms on a SC? Did I miss something in this thread?
No, he needs new arms and found FE3s cheap
Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 PM

You can get the FE5's for $130 for both at most chop shops online.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 PM

"Online Chop shops"?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM

well i found FE3 arms for 190 for both shipped. only 5k miles on em from a 2007..... my bushings are shot and sounds like clunking for last 20k miles. i need em bad!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Junkyards, dismantelers, etc. Morad Parts Company out of Ohio is my personal favorite, though they are out of FE5 LCA's right now (I know 'cuz I have an order in with them). I also have "dibs" on their first Cobalt Turbo axles, brakes, knuckles and other assorted bits that aren't the engine & tranny. If they had teh LCA's I'd let miked take 'em though, he's more desperate than I am.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM

Junkyards, dismantelers, etc. Morad Parts Company out of Ohio is my personal favorite, though they are out of FE5 LCA's right now (I know 'cuz I have an order in with them). I also have "dibs" on their first Cobalt Turbo axles, brakes, knuckles and other assorted bits that aren't the engine & tranny. If they had teh LCA's I'd let miked take 'em though, he's more desperate than I am.
Okay, the whole "chop shop" just caught me out.....to me a chop shop is an illegal business that dismantles stolen cars.

Morad is a good company, Ive bought from them before(my SS axle and other bits as well)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM

The 2009 Pontiac G5 GT comes with 4wheel disc brakes, it is yet another new combination of parts.

It uses the same rear brakes as all other GT/Sport/SS-SC and SS-2.4 do.

For front brakes it however DOES NOT use the 296mm rotors that were used previously on the GT/Sport/SS-SC, instead it uses the same 280mm rotors as the 5lug LT Cobalts and base G5s.

2009 also uses a different bolt pattern master cylinde that is not compatible with previous years.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:56 PM

anyone got the part numbers to FE1,FE3,FE5 endlinks?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by XgunsmokeX
anyone got the part numbers to FE1,FE3,FE5 endlinks?
Yup, post #11. I think I have every major part listed for all 4 suspensions
Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 PM

ohh so there all the same part number?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by XgunsmokeX
ohh so there all the same part number?
Nope. You have to read the post. You will see the FE5 end links are different.

Quick Reply: Suspension and brake facts (FE1, FE3, FE5, J41, JM4, JL9)