Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

ZZP Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZP Control Arms

I am looking for some info and reviews of the newly released zzp control arms, since I was unable to find any real reviews with a search.

First off, are they the full control arms (nothing else would be needed)

What advantages do they have over the Powell inserts from OTTP?

Anyone who has the OTTP inserts or ZZP arms please chime. Hopefully someone has run both...

PS: I have Pedders coilovers waiting for install (pillowball mounts and camber plates too), Powergrid endlinks, rear OTTP street bar, TTR steering rack spacers. TTR engine mount, and TTR STOP mounts. The suspension aspect at least

ZZP can chime and talk it up if they want. That is ther right as a vendor.
Please do not talk about zzp as a vendor though. I do not care about some people's hatred towards them, and am simply inquiring about their product. I have their catless downpipe and love it, and I have their tune and think it is perfect. And I am happy with them as a provider, since they were great to deal with when we encountered difficulties in tracking down a blank PCM, and were helpful in answering my questions,
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RossGo
I am looking for some info and reviews of the newly released zzp control arms, since I was unable to find any real reviews with a search.

Anyone who has the OTTP inserts or ZZP arms please chime. Hopefully someone has run both...

PS: I have Pedders coilovers waiting for install (pillowball mounts and camber plates too), Powergrid endlinks, rear OTTP street bar, TTR steering rack spacers. TTR engine mount, and TTR STOP mounts. The suspension aspect at least

Please do not talk about zzp as a vendor though. I do not care about some people's hatred towards them, and am simply inquiring about their product. I have their catless downpipe and love it, and I have their tune and think it is perfect. And I am happy with them as a provider, since they were great to deal with when we encountered difficulties in tracking down a blank PCM, and were helpful in answering my questions,
- yes they are full control arms.

- the only advantage is they save some weight but honestly for the price i dont see it being worth it so i would choose powell spherical bushings and stockers all day long unless you are trying to save every possible pound. just my opinion though and it will save you a couple hundred.

- i think the zzp arms are too new for someone to have run them together yet. the combination would be overly expensive..... i would just go one or the other.

- sounds like a pretty good combination. your going to get a lot of vibration from the mounts. me personally i have went with ottp stage 2 mounts and wait for powells upper mount. regardless all mounts get the job done as long as you dont mix powell/ottps mounts with the ttr upper mount.

they are a good vendor.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that's the same build as mine!

I haven't settled on mounts just yet though.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 AM

They're probably to new for anybody to have run them like said above.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 AM

They look pretty sweet to me. And the install will be a cakewalk.

Having installed a few sets of CABs before, they aren't much fun. And most members here don't have access to a press. SO you hafta figure in the cost/time of taking your control arms up to a shop and having them press out your stock bushings, and press in the new spherical ones.

This also applies to maintenance down the road.

Either option is a significant improvement over stock. If I had the $$$ to blow I'd pick up the ZZP arms.

Last edited by SS33; 02-23-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unprotected spherical bearing on the street? I don't see that lasting.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Wouldn't these be advantageous for non-SS owners? For me, I would have to source FE5 arms ($150 at CED), plus the bushings. That ends up being the same price, $500. So, the weight savings, plus a longer lasting (imho) poly bushing seems like it would make sense for a non-SS owner.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Menace Kustoms
Wouldn't these be advantageous for non-SS owners? For me, I would have to source FE5 arms ($150 at CED), plus the bushings. That ends up being the same price, $500. So, the weight savings, plus a longer lasting (imho) poly bushing seems like it would make sense for a non-SS owner.
That is a very good point, seems to be a great buy for those without FE5 arms already
Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Can't see the Poly lasting all that long. I would honestly try to get some FE5 arms from a wreckers etc and put the OTTP SCABS in. If you contact qwikredline he MAY have a set he will sell might even have SCABS and install then ship..worth a shot anyways...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Just buy the ottp controll arm bushing, and if you want buy the moog ball joint and call it a day,. it the same thing minus the weight loss. Which I dont see being much really. If you want the moog ball joints I know where to get them
Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
I run unprotected sphericals on my traction bars and they have held up just fine so far. Yearly maintenance isn't a bad idea, and wouldn't take too much time at all. I'm sure the bushings OTTP sells would also benefit from similar periodical checks/maintenance
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM

to be honest nothing aganist ZZP but, I don't for see many people running out and buying these control arms, just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Cobalt09
- yes they are full control arms.

- the only advantage is they save some weight but honestly for the price i dont see it being worth it so i would choose powell spherical bushings and stockers all day long unless you are trying to save every possible pound. just my opinion though and it will save you a couple hundred.

- i think the zzp arms are too new for someone to have run them together yet. the combination would be overly expensive..... i would just go one or the other.

- sounds like a pretty good combination. your going to get a lot of vibration from the mounts. me personally i have went with ottp stage 2 mounts and wait for powells upper mount. regardless all mounts get the job done as long as you dont mix powell/ottps mounts with the ttr upper mount.

they are a good vendor.
Saving weight isn't the biggest deal to me. I have a fully dynamatted car with dynaliner on top of that. PLus it saves a minimal .75 pounds each.

I didn't expect someone to have had both. Was just wishful thinking for a good review.

I was unaware Powell was coming out with mounts. And I went with TTR due to a good relationship I established with Aaron, and after talking to a lot of people that had the setup I chose.

Originally Posted by Stamina
Wow, that's the same build as mine!

I haven't settled on mounts just yet though.
Once again. Stop stealing my tastes! haha

I'll let you know when I get it all on and can hopefully make your decision.

And do you really have Pedders coilovers? Or just springs?

Originally Posted by SS33
They look pretty sweet to me. And the install will be a cakewalk.

Having installed a few sets of CABs before, they aren't much fun. And most members here don't have access to a press. SO you hafta figure in the cost/time of taking your control arms up to a shop and having them press out your stock bushings, and press in the new spherical ones.

This also applies to maintenance down the road.

Either option is a significant improvement over stock. If I had the $$$ to blow I'd pick up the ZZP arms.
I have full access to a press, so no worries there

What do you mean by maintenance though?

And I am not necessarily looking to blow money, I am looking for the best product...

Which one are you referring to?
Can you elaborate please?

Originally Posted by OneCOLDBIZL272
Just buy the ottp controll arm bushing, and if you want buy the moog ball joint and call it a day,. it the same thing minus the weight loss. Which I dont see being much really. If you want the moog ball joints I know where to get them
What would the moog joint do for me?

to be honest nothing aganist ZZP but, I don't for see many people running out and buying these control arms, just my opinion.
I agree. I wouldn't call that as anything against ZZP. It is just a large price for a questionable advantage over another proven and cheaper product. I love their efforts on power, which can be proven, but this is tough to chose on such a subjective product

Thank everyone for the responses!

Last edited by RossGo; 02-23-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Once again. Stop stealing my tastes! haha

I'll let you know when I get it all on and can hopefully make your decision.

And do you really have Pedders coilovers? Or just springs?

I just recently bought some Pedders springs, but changed it to coilovers, so I should be getting them in a month or two. I've heard that Pedders takes a between 1-2 months from the time of order to make and ship a set of coilovers.

As far as the Powell mounts, I think they are referring to the OTTP mounts, because they are made by Powell.

I'd like to do Pedders coilovers, endlinks, OTTP street bar, and mounts. Not sure yet which mounts I'd like to go with. I'm trying to keep my car DD friendly while still being able to tear up the competition at an auto-x or road course. I think I'm going to leave the control arms alone for now. On that note though, I'm planning on doing forged pistons and such too, to enable me to either push more power or keep it at lower power and have it last forever.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM

I just recently bought some Pedders springs, but changed it to coilovers, so I should be getting them in a month or two. I've heard that Pedders takes a between 1-2 months from the time of order to make and ship a set of coilovers.

As far as the Powell mounts, I think they are referring to the OTTP mounts, because they are made by Powell.

I'd like to do Pedders coilovers, endlinks, OTTP street bar, and mounts. Not sure yet which mounts I'd like to go with. I'm trying to keep my car DD friendly while still being able to tear up the competition at an auto-x or road course. I think I'm going to leave the control arms alone for now. On that note though, I'm planning on doing forged pistons and such too, to enable me to either push more power or keep it at lower power and have it last forever.
I got my coilovers to my door within 2 days haha.
But I am a test fitter. I'll let you know how the setup is on a daily
Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 PM

you upgrade of the moog balljoints is one, it will be brand new, two its better, three it greaseable/servicable, four its stronger and more beefy, 5 in will perform better.

i dont have pic of the ball joints but here a pic of my moog tie rod ends. you get the pic.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Which one are you referring to?
Can you elaborate please?
In the below pic, ZZP's control arms have an unprotected spherical bearing. You can replace it yearly in the spring if you're hell bent on running these. The OTTP CAB replacement has a rubber boot.

I'm also not a fan of the poly bushing that ZZP is using. My experience is that they tend to bind and crack on most cars.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM

you upgrade of the moog balljoints is one, it will be brand new, two its better, three it greaseable/servicable, four its stronger and more beefy, 5 in will perform better.
I know I sound dumb here, but where does that even go? Is that an endlink?
What aspect of performance is it for?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:23 PM

I know I sound dumb here, but where does that even go? Is that an endlink?
What aspect of performance is it for?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM

In the below pic, ZZP's control arms have an unprotected spherical bearing. You can replace it yearly in the spring if you're hell bent on running these. The OTTP CAB replacement has a rubber boot.

I'm also not a fan of the poly bushing that ZZP is using. My experience is that they tend to bind and crack on most cars.
I have also heard bad things about poly control arm inserts, but when they are used in a different area than they are using them.

I like the chrome molly aspect of it, but I am unsure if a stiffer suspension part, on top of coilovers is a good idea for ride quality.

And why does it need so much protection? It's not an impact area is it?

Which joint is that?
That wasn't much of an explanation haha

Last edited by RossGo; 02-23-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Which joint is that?
That wasn't much of an explanation haha
It would be considered a lower control arm... sorry

Here are some pics of them and how they connect:

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Are you showing me the control arm?

I was asking about the moog joint
Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 AM

And why does it need so much protection? It's not an impact area is it?
I said spherical bearing, but it's really a rod end. I don't see it lasting long since it's exposed to grit, salt, and water. Not a problem for a fair weather car, but if you daily drive it, you need to know what the risks are.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 AM

Are you showing me the control arm?

I was asking about the moog joint
Oops... my bad. I thought you wanted mo' arm.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 PM

Oops... my bad. I thought you wanted mo' arm.
I was confused for a minute. I was thinking "man I really don't see it" haha

Quick Reply: ZZP Control Arms