Tuning For tuning and related discussions

HP Tuners 1-2.5 bar E38/E67 ECM's features

Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP Tuners 1-2.5 bar E38/E67 ECM's features

Over the past couple of years GM has changed their coding from what most had become accustomed to with LS1's...some of their changes have been for the better(MAF limits moved upwards for many 08' models) and others for the worse(IFR table limited to 63.5 lb/hr & Fan temp turn ons start at 192*F) what we've tried to do is take the best of what GM offered & improve on them :chug:

Our final hopes with this Custom OS is that you'll be able to run anything from a standard 1 bar maf tune all the way to 2.5 bar utilizing a REAL VE table that we've all come to know and love, we've also doubled the max airflow limit of the maf for guys that want to stick with a maf tune!

Anyways here's the skinny on the rest of the features as posted on our forum http://www.hptuners.com/forum/index.php

Hi guys,

Some of you are aware that we have been working on a 2.5bar solution for the E38 ECM's that no longer have a VE table. After a few issues, I completed the last internal devtest session today where finally everything worked as planned on the dyno

We've incorporated a number of powerful new features that brings the HP Tuners solution well ahead of any stock operating system solution. Here's a quick rundown on the features, some of which will be familiar to those that have used our enhancements before.

This E38 enhancement contains the following features:
- 2.5 bar (255 kPa) max MAP sensor support (calibration capability for GM 0-5V linear MAP sensors)
- Rescaled MAF High Freq table supports up to 15400 Hz with 300 Hz resolution, also supports airflow up to 1024 g/sec
- New VE tables with 33 x 33 cell resolution each and configurable MAP and RPM axes (choose your own resolution)
- Charge Temperature based VE multiplier table, configurable axis
- TPS based VE multiplier table, 33 x 17 cells with configurable TPS and RPM axes
- MAP referenced Boost Enrich table
- Boost Enrich MAP threshold and hysteresis value
- Both MAF and Speed Density mode supported
- Boost based fuel cut, selectable MAP threshold cuts fuel to all cylinders when exceeded
- Rescaled fan temperature axis 163-250F (73-121C), stock is 192-250F (89-121C)

The MAF High Freq table has been rescaled to 5800-15400Hz at 300 Hz resolution and the maximum airflow limit for this table has also been adjusted to allow up to 1024 g/sec (instead of the stock 512 g/sec). This is excellent news for boosted applications that want to retain the MAF but reach higher than the stock 12200Hz and 512 g/sec limits.

There are three new VE tables. Two Normal tables (one for the intake manifold control open and another for closed) and one Displacement On Demand (DoD) VE table. For vehicles that do not have intake manifold control and/or DoD it is a good idea to set all three VE tables the same. There are also VE multiplier tables that can be used to change (multiply) the VE value based on Charge Temperature (Manifold Air Temperature) and TPS/RPM. The TPS Multiplier table can be useful for tuning large camshafts. On various tables the RPM/MAP/TPS axes are fully configurable, you can set the resolution to suit your application. The defaults are suited up to around 10psi boost (175 kPa) with 5 kPa MAP resolution and 200 RPM resolution from 400-6800 RPM.

Boost enrichment functions as per our other enhancements, with an enable MAP, hysteresis and Boost Enrich table. Boost enrichment also triggers open loop fuelling. The ECM will use the richest of the PE table and the Boost Enrich table values when fuelling.

The new Boost Fuel Cut feature will cut fuel to all cylinders whenever boost is above the enable MAP value. There is also an enable/disable option for this feature. It is a complete fuel cut to all cylinders when active. This could be used by engine shops who supply turbo chargers with electronic boost controllers to protect against customers winding the boost up higher than the engine internals can handle. It could also be used as a valet tune kind of feature.

Overall, the devtest results are very promising with the folks looking in on the testing very happy to return to "normal" VE table style tuning, the HUGE tables, the awesome flexibility and customization possible with the configurable axes and also looking forward to the possibilities of extended MAF tuning with exotic MAFs or maybe even the new LS3 MAF. The fan axis lowering is also one that was well received!

As i mentioned above, at present we will start out with a limited beta for the Aussie VE Holdens with a specific operating system ID (covers most if not all VE's). Assuming the limited beta goes well then after SEMA we will begin the large'ish task of integrating all the E38 and E67 OS's we currently support for the US and other markets. I would like to offer a US beta also initally, but with the many deadlines to meet before SEMA this is the best plan we could make.

:cheers:

Chris...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 AM

This is incredible for 2.4s that wanna turbo. They basically just got standalone control

Can we get this for lsj..plz

and ve table to 8100rpm instead of 6800rpm
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by djt81185
This is incredible for 2.4s that wanna turbo. They basically just got standalone control

Can we get this for lsj..plz

and ve table to 8100rpm instead of 6800rpm
This isn't just for FI applications, it will also be the hot ticket for 1 bar n/a applications with all the added benefits.

as far as custom operating systems for the lsj the cost & development time cannot be justified at this moment for the little advantages this would produce. Also the p12 pcm isn't as flexible in what you can do as the E38/E67 pcm's. Not to mention the E38/E67's cover far more vehicle lines most of which don't already have any 2 bar solutions at this moment unlike the p12 which was designed around boost by GM.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 AM

Damn that sucks, hope someone will come out with a extanded VE table for us!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC
Damn that sucks, hope someone will come out with a extanded VE table for us!
Werd
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM

This is great news cant wait to get my hands on it and use it
Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Can the revised VE table be used on engines with VVT?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
damn no p12... oh well. But at least it will help us out on the boosted 2.4's we'll be doing soon.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:09 PM

In regards to the VVT motors, this is something we will work on before the US beta, i originally planned to add a couple of extra Cam Multiplier tables that will be Multiplier vs. Intake Cam Angle vs. RPM and also Multiplier vs. Exhaust Cam Angle vs. RPM. Although i think tuning it will be beyond most folks, but still a lot easier than trying to picture a 6d chart in your head
Found that post in the original thread on the HPTuners forum. Kinda helps, kinda doesn't I guess.

Edit again: I see they are including cam angle as a scannable PID with this. That should solve most of the problem and allow boosted 2.4 guys to use the VE in their airflow calculations again.

Last edited by Witt; 10-23-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 AM

So, if I get this right, there is no custom OS for the LSJ, right? That means we are stuck with the 63.5 IFR limit and can't get RTT?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 AM

damn i was hoping for the custom os for the lsj, especially since there is a bunch of us going turbo now. but 3 inch maf piping it is.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
looks like us lsj people are stuck in the ve and maf side. yet again.

the injectors could be skewed for larger than 63.5, just not sure how the car will react to this.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Well, yes, they can. Look at any of the fuel tables I've sent you. The problem is that it is a pain in the ass and we don't know the full ramifications of doing that. We are using the modifier vs volts to make up for it, but that keeps us from being able to use that table as it is meant to be used - to modify the ifr according to drops in voltage below 13v. I would also really like to be able to make use of RTT, as it would save me a TON of tuning time. Worse than that, when auto tune comes out, it will depend upon RTT, so we lose out there too.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SJSchafer
Well, yes, they can. Look at any of the fuel tables I've sent you. The problem is that it is a pain in the ass and we don't know the full ramifications of doing that. We are using the modifier vs volts to make up for it, but that keeps us from being able to use that table as it is meant to be used - to modify the ifr according to drops in voltage below 13v. I would also really like to be able to make use of RTT, as it would save me a TON of tuning time. Worse than that, when auto tune comes out, it will depend upon RTT, so we lose out there too.
it makes baby jesus cry.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 PM

yes it does
Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 AM

Bill, Chris, where are you guys? Talk to us about great things you have planned for us lsj owners in the coming releases.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Banned

Well they just put the nail in the coffin on that one.. LSJ will never see the kind of support we hope and intended on.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:58 AM

I fear you are correct.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The p12 pcm looks to be dead by gm's standards & many vehicles that used the p12(colorado/canyon/hummer h3) have all moved on to using the E67 pcm. Its hard enough keeping up with the demands of adding calibrations from new vehicles, we try to add what we can where we can for those calibrations that cover broad markets such is the case with the E38/E67 pcm's.

-Bill
Old 11-16-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
oh well that sucks.

Standalone time it is cause this maf **** sucks with the turbp setup
Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 PM

I get you, Bill. I am the last person to fault you for your work. You guys rule the tuning world. imo There are a lot of us blown ecos out there and we really don't need that much more than what we have. Personally, the ability to use the IFR tables above 63.5 lbs/hr and some RTT support. I know that sounds simple, and is probably a lot more complicated than it sounds... I guess what I am really looking for is a response other than, "sorry, but we can't give you guys any more support due to lack of demand." At least, maybe a, "we will see what we can do". ****, man, I will help in any way I can. I will spend time doing whatever I can to help. I can beta test, give input, feedback... hell, I can even write code if I can learn the language you use.

Bottom line is that is tastes like **** to invest in a product with high hopes only to find out a few months later that you are left out of future enhancements.

Just my $0.02

Steve
Old 11-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Well, that's really good news for the 2.4 fellas. Sucks for us lsj guys... I think maybe we should start hitting up aem and greddy and asking them if they can make us a full plug and play standalone....would be expensive, but well worth it for people wanting to make power
Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 PM

Yea.

I can work around the IFR issues with the modifier, but it is not ideal. The RTT would really be nice. I doubt AEM or anyone else will do that for the same reason HPT is bailing out on us.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SJSchafer
I get you, Bill. I am the last person to fault you for your work. You guys rule the tuning world. imo There are a lot of us blown ecos out there and we really don't need that much more than what we have. Personally, the ability to use the IFR tables above 63.5 lbs/hr and some RTT support. I know that sounds simple, and is probably a lot more complicated than it sounds... I guess what I am really looking for is a response other than, "sorry, but we can't give you guys any more support due to lack of demand." At least, maybe a, "we will see what we can do". ****, man, I will help in any way I can. I will spend time doing whatever I can to help. I can beta test, give input, feedback... hell, I can even write code if I can learn the language you use.

Bottom line is that is tastes like **** to invest in a product with high hopes only to find out a few months later that you are left out of future enhancements.

Just my $0.02

Steve
Bottom line is we NEVER tell anyone upfront "oh yeah we're going to create custom OS's, RTT, etc" for any vehicle or calibration as custom OS's take months to develop in itself, adding RTT DOUBLES that development time and we're talking for 1 pcm it could take 6-8 months for that to become a reality start to finish...6 months of steady work at $100/hr is alot of income it would need to generate to make it worth our while, we currently offer tuning for ~20-30 different pcm's meaning development time for custom OS's for all of them is in the 10-15 YEAR range

sorry but we cannot offer custom OS's for each & every pcm we support, just not feasible nor cost effective.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by foff667
Bottom line is we NEVER tell anyone upfront "oh yeah we're going to create custom OS's, RTT, etc" for any vehicle or calibration as custom OS's take months to develop in itself, adding RTT DOUBLES that development time and we're talking for 1 pcm, we currently offer tuning for ~20-30 different pcm's meaning development time for custom OS's for all of them is in the 10-15 YEAR range

sorry but we cannot offer custom OS's for each & every pcm we support, just not feasible.
Yeah that's understandable. You guys helped us out a lot! If it wasn't for hptuners, i'd still be stuck on my maf translator (what a piece of crap that was)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP Tuners 1-2.5 bar E38/E67 ECM's features