Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Intense or keep hptune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intense or keep hptune?

I've been reading around, doing a little research. Trying to figure out if Intense Racing has gotten any better when it comes to LSJs? A guy by where I live just put one on his 2007 but he has a 2.9 pulley and I'm going to 2.7

I read some of the threads from before and everyone said only use Intense if you want to see how high you can shoot a piston in the air. However, these threads are from, like 2008and 2006. I thought perhaps they may have fixed whatever issues they may have had.

Or should I just adjust the HP tune that's on the car already? I kinda hoped if you already had a tune from a certain company, re-tuning it would be inexpensive and easy. They're asking for $200-300 minimum to tune the car.

I don't know, I just figured with cobalt mods being so common, The tune would be a little cheaper.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM

So, I'm assuming that since no one has answered, Either we have been avoiding Intense like the plague for so long that no one knows who they are anymore

Or that genuinely no one knows an answer to my question?

I'll probably go ahead and get tuned by someone up here, rather than chance it with a part that has been historically bad for cobalts. Still, I wish someone would chime in so I'm not operating on pure assumptions.

They claim to be selling hundreds of these things every week to SS cobalt owners. Doesn't one person have a recent experience with Intense they could share? One? plis?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM

I had an Intense tune from 2006 on my SC and I never had a problem. I had a custom HP tune done a couple years after when I added some additional mods though.

Your best bet is to always have a tune done specifically for your car though. So find someone local that you trust and get it done.

Considering the gains that are achieved from tuning, $200-$300 is cheap. Considering we pay over $200 for an aluminum pipe with a filter on the end of it that nets little to no additional power.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM

the problem with intense i believe came from way back in the day when none of us knew how to get SAFE power from the lsj's. they were one of the first companies to offer us a "stage kit". unfortunately no1 knew about cooling mods back then other than a cobra h/e. a bunch of pistons popped, but intense was not the only company to "pop" pistons. they just seemed to try and push too much for a canned tune, and it didnt like everyones car. some cars ran fine, and strong. some blew. now that we have cooling mods, and supporting mods, i dont think that intense would be that bad, but ive never bought anything from them. probably never will. seeing as we have vendors that have proven power, and are active still on the forums, and actively developing stuff for us, i would go with one of them. or with a trusted hptuner in you area.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best bet keep your hptune
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by K-Train04RL
the problem with intense i believe came from way back in the day when none of us knew how to get SAFE power from the lsj's. they were one of the first companies to offer us a "stage kit". unfortunately no1 knew about cooling mods back then other than a cobra h/e. a bunch of pistons popped, but intense was not the only company to "pop" pistons. they just seemed to try and push too much for a canned tune, and it didnt like everyones car. some cars ran fine, and strong. some blew. now that we have cooling mods, and supporting mods, i dont think that intense would be that bad, but ive never bought anything from them. probably never will. seeing as we have vendors that have proven power, and are active still on the forums, and actively developing stuff for us, i would go with one of them. or with a trusted hptuner in you area.
Haha.... remmeber back in the the day when people were running 2.79 pulleys on the stock injectors with a MAF-T lol..... we have come along way !