Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Tuning (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/tuning-131/)
-   -   MAF tuning (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/tuning-131/maf-tuning-98970/)

Area47 03-13-2008 06:10 PM

i hate fuel
:)

Kaisoboy 03-13-2008 06:16 PM

fuel = good grief charlie Brown...:cry::mad:

Area47 03-13-2008 06:22 PM

give me timing and 10mins. i'll make your lil head spin around

jimbos'ss 03-13-2008 06:28 PM

subscribed

Kaisoboy 03-13-2008 06:28 PM

So how do you go about doing your timing to the High / Low tables after tuning the fuel, VE and MAF? Can anyone enlighten me on the steps required to tune and add timing for more HP.

Hmmm...It would seem that I have re kindled this thread. haha

thanks

SJSchafer 03-13-2008 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy (Post 2074275)
So how do you go about doing your timing to the High / Low tables after tuning the fuel, VE and MAF? Can anyone enlighten me on the steps required to tune and add timing for more HP.

Hmmm...It would seem that I have re kindled this thread. haha

thanks

Hey Bryan, I think this is your field. I'll stick to fuel. :) I swear I need to fly you out here to figure my car out timing wise. At least fuel has some method of math and science and physics and shit. Timing is like some weird magic or something.

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 01:59 AM

midnight bump

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 10:23 AM

morning bump

Area47 03-14-2008 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SJSchafer (Post 2074512)
Hey Bryan, I think this is your field. I'll stick to fuel. :) I swear I need to fly you out here to figure my car out timing wise. At least fuel has some method of math and science and physics and shit. Timing is like some weird magic or something.

hehehehee

steve, it's hard as shit to tune timing when someone is 1300 miles away. im all up for a vacation!

anyways

kaiso, start small. take the timing map {high octane} everything above .55 g-cyl, drop 2-3 degree's as a base to work with. simpley put. from .55 down to 1.36 drop 3 degree's. load map. log. start with a base timing of 14 degree's and work up from there. adding .5 degree's at a time. untill it knocks. then back it off 1 degree. go beat the crap out of the car for a while, still logging of course. look at iat2 temps vs timing. the richer you run, the more timing you can run. to a degree.

this is not an end all be all how to on timing. every car is different, and requires different styles of tuning.

:twothumbs

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Area47 (Post 2076757)
hehehehee

steve, it's hard as shit to tune timing when someone is 1300 miles away. im all up for a vacation!

anyways

kaiso, start small. take the timing map {high octane} everything above .55 g-cyl, drop 2-3 degree's as a base to work with. simpley put. from .55 down to 1.36 drop 3 degree's. load map. log. start with a base timing of 14 degree's and work up from there. adding .5 degree's at a time. untill it knocks. then back it off 1 degree. go beat the crap out of the car for a while, still logging of course. look at iat2 temps vs timing. the richer you run, the more timing you can run. to a degree.

this is not an end all be all how to on timing. every car is different, and requires different styles of tuning.

:twothumbs

Hi Area

Just a recap to make sure I understand.

1. Creat a histo showing IAT2 Temps vs Timing Advance so you can log where the car is running rich so you can see where you might possibly want to add timing.

2. Take the HO table reduce any cells above .55 - 1.36 g/cyl by 2-3*.

3. Add 14* of timing across the board to start with and work up from there adding .5* of timing each time untill it knocks then back it off by 1* in that cell then smooth.

Is my understanding correct

Thanks

Pickles 03-14-2008 11:42 AM

http://members.shaw.ca/neo01/timing.JPG

Area47 03-14-2008 11:45 AM

don't add 14 degree's. bad bad bad idea. your total timing should be 14.

also. etc adder below 230 degree's zero it out
afr adder. zero it
iat adder. zero this below 140 degree's.

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Area47 (Post 2076990)
don't add 14 degree's. bad bad bad idea. your total timing should be 14.

also. etc adder below 230 degree's zero it out
afr adder. zero it
iat adder. zero this below 140 degree's.

Sorry, but I don't follow.

BlackSS/SC 03-14-2008 12:15 PM

He means your max timing for a run with be 14 segrees to start, if you don't get KR then add .5 degree at a time in the WOT timing places. You can make a filter in the histo of timing advance to filter out any part throttle stuff for WOT timing if you don't know where the WOT timing runs.

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC (Post 2077089)
He means your max timing for a run with be 14 segrees to start, if you don't get KR then add .5 degree at a time in the WOT timing places. You can make a filter in the histo of timing advance to filter out any part throttle stuff for WOT timing if you don't know where the WOT timing runs.

Is that 14 degrees across the board. The do a WOT run at a full 14 degrees across the board, log KR and any where there is KR reduce it. Then add another .5* to the rest of the table except where you reduced timing to get rid of knock.

sorry but I guess I am just not grasping this.

Raven SS 03-14-2008 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy (Post 2077223)
Is that 14 degrees across the board. The do a WOT run, log KR at 14 degrees and any where there is KR reduce it.

sorry but I guess I am just not grasping this.

only at wot...

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 12:50 PM

So what part of the table posted above would be WOT runs?

BlackSS/SC 03-14-2008 12:54 PM

The higher g/cyl will be WOT. But it all depends on the car, you need to log and figure out where your car runs at WOT. The put the filter to show you timing in the Timing Advance table. Then look at the table and you'll see the pattern. Your filter will be ECT Position say above 95%

And you don't want all of the WOT timing to be 14 degrees or you will most likely have KR. The higher RPMs you can ramp up to 14 degrees and then go from there.

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 12:57 PM

OK thanks.

So once I find my WOT range, Is that where you are telling me to increase the timing by 14* then do a log run at WOT and any knock I find reduce it, smooth it and increase any other cells in the WOT range with no knock by a .5* advance and log again, find any knock if any do the same then log again.

BlackSS/SC 03-14-2008 12:59 PM

DO NOT INCREASE BY 14*. Just lower the places that are over 14* to 14* in the WOT spots.

Other then that it sounds like you've got it.

Raven SS 03-14-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy (Post 2077268)
OK thanks.

So once I find my WOT range, Is that where you are telling me to increase the timing by 14* then do a log run at WOT and any knock I find reduce it, smooth it and increase any other cells in the WOT range with no knock by a .5* advance and log again, find any knock if any do the same then log again.

not add 14....make ur max 14 and smooth it out below so it doesnt ramp and cause knock...

Area47 03-14-2008 01:03 PM

what pulley are you running.

Kaisoboy 03-14-2008 01:17 PM

OK, OK I think I have it...Lets Recap.:lol:

1. In the stock stage 2 HO table reduce all the cells from .56 to 1.36 by 2 to 3* across the board and this will be my base to start with.

2. Flash the new table and go logging at WOT to find out where my WOT range is and patern. (Which table do I need)

3. Now keeping in mind that I do not want to go Higher than 14* of knock in those cells go out and do another WOT run and monitor any knock over 14* at WOT and reduce those cells then smooth. (which table do I need)

4. Now after correcting the last run add .5* timing to the remaining cells that did not show knock in my original log. Correct those and repeat.

5. So with the 42lb injectors, what would be the most on average timing I would want to add to keep the tune safe.

6. In my histogram which of the tables do I need to have or set up for this.

Thanks alot guys you've been a great help.:twothumbs

Area47 03-14-2008 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy (Post 2077372)
OK, OK I think I have it...Lets Recap.:lol:

1. In the stock stage 2 HO table reduce all the cells from .56 to 1.36 by 2 to 3* across the board and this will be my base to start with.

2. Flash the new table and go logging at WOT to find out where my WOT range is and patern. (Which table do I need)

4. Now after correcting the last run add .5* timing to the remaining cells that did not show knock in my original log. Correct those and repeat.

5. So with the 42lb injectors, what would be the most on average timing I would want to add to keep the tune safe.

6. In my histogram which of the tables do I need to have or set up for this.

Thanks alot guys you've been a great help.:twothumbs

fixed.

BlackSS/SC 03-14-2008 01:21 PM

But you want "0" KR.