Tuning For tuning and related discussions

OBDII for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OBDII for iPhone

Hey Guys,

I was just searching around on vendor sites to get some prices on dual interceptors when I came across this, its basically a wifi OBDII setup for your iPhone or Touch:

Linky: http://www.modernperformance.com/kiw...es-p-1996.html

Does anyone have this set up or is anyone familiar with it? I have an iPhone 3GS and currently have a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT installed, so as of right now I play all of my music and video through my iPhone with the USB cable for the deck, I use blue tooth to use my iPhone through the deck, and my contacts all download automatically and it works really well. So if this thing uses some kind of wifi, that leaves the last source of connection to my iPhone to my car and really makes it the most universal thing I have ever owned... I am seriously thinking of getting this instead of buying two interceptors but I am not completely sold on this yet.

I would like to hear if anyone else has tried this or if anyone sees any potential problems with this set up. Or if anyone can give some reasons why the dual interceptors would be more practical so that I can justify paying the extra cash for them and the pillar.

Ultimately the biggest advantage I can see with the phone set up is the benefit of a nice user interface and the ability to get soft wear updates... it looks like a really sweet app and easy to use and read if you watch the video but I am not sure if it will work as well or have the amount of parameters as the gauges...

Discuss...

Also, anyone who already owns dual interceptors, if you would like to save me the time you could recommend a vendor who gave you a good price and service and shipping time. So far everywhere I have looked all sell for 389.99-399.99, so its really the service and shipping time I am wondering about. I live in Canada.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM

I made a thread on this already and nobody seems to care it is just like a wideband in every way except you can transfer it car to car. cheaper on ebay under 'kiwi wifi' by the way. Im trying to piece myself one without the wifi adapter and the free app on the iphone for under $50.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by moranjames89
I made a thread on this already and nobody seems to care it is just like a wideband in every way except you can transfer it car to car. cheaper on ebay under 'kiwi wifi' by the way. Im trying to piece myself one without the wifi adapter and the free app on the iphone for under $50.
Thanks man. Not sure what I am going to do now... I kinda like the idea of having it wireless on my phone, but I like the idea of having two simple gauges right next to me too... I dont care much for the ability to plug into multiple cars, its the price difference between the two that kills me...

I think I may stick with the gauges because if anything ever goes wrong with my iPhone then i'll have no choice but to buy anyother because I am already "pot committed" if you know what I mean.

There really isnt anything you cant do with either, its just nice to have a user interface to use when you get a code or want to graph everything, but I eventually what to get tuning software so that should cover all the extra crap the app offers because ultimatly, I wont be looking at the graph while im driving...

Glad to see someone had something to say though, thanks for your post, I check out your thread too and it helped.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Can you use this as a scanner? To check and clear codes? It seems so? If so, I may just get one..
Old 06-24-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Can you use this as a scanner? To check and clear codes? It seems so? If so, I may just get one..
yes. and datalogging, and basically everything from afr's and iat's. and supposedly has very accurate whp estimates.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM

uuugghhh the more you talk about it the more I cant decide...

how can we hook up dual interceptors and this kit?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish they had something like that for blackberries.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:41 PM

wow sweet... now i dont have to worry about not having interceptor for my future cars :P
Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 PM

I'm buying one in a couple days. there is a free app on the iphone you can get right now to see what it can do (somewhat; eh its the free app) its revlite by devtoaster or some **** like that. I really just need the wifi interface and I was bidding on it on ebay and it disappeared I was the highest bidder. free app + 35$ interface = ftw a nice wideband.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Uh, no, it is not like a wideband in every way.

OBDLink is better and also has an iphone wifi feature. Cheaper, too.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm too JDM for you

I'm buying one in a couple days. there is a free app on the iphone you can get right now to see what it can do (somewhat; eh its the free app) its revlite by devtoaster or some **** like that. I really just need the wifi interface and I was bidding on it on ebay and it disappeared I was the highest bidder. free app + 35$ interface = ftw a nice wideband.
how is it like a wideband? your car doesn't have a wideband so how will it read that parameter?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:23 AM

Buncha dopes on this forum.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 AM

i just wish that plx wifi cord wasnt so ******* long... seriously why does it have to be that long
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by thedude411
i just wish that plx wifi cord wasnt so ******* long... seriously why does it have to be that long
Mount and use a zip-tie? haha

Anyone actually USE this? It sounds pretty dope.. I might need to get this, since I wanted a code clearer anyway..
Old 07-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Mount and use a zip-tie? haha

Anyone actually USE this? It sounds pretty dope.. I might need to get this, since I wanted a code clearer anyway..
i was thinking probably just run it underneath the dash from the obd2 port and have it sit in that little cubby hole. i think thatd be the best way to deal with that dam thing
Old 07-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Yeah.. Now, what if it's your phone and not a Touch? Can you still take calls if it's plugged in? lol
Old 07-04-2010, 01:01 PM

I was going to buy a OBD2 scanner but I just bought HP Tuners VCM suite instead. lol
Old 07-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Yeah.. Now, what if it's your phone and not a Touch? Can you still take calls if it's plugged in? lol
its never really plugged in bcus the plx thing is wifi and ur just running an app. so i imagine its just acts like every other app on ur phone when u get a call. and so far ive always seen that calls take priority over apps
Old 07-04-2010, 01:08 PM

I got mine a week ago and you can see pretty much everything except air fuel ratio, you have to get a separate thing for that, but it has stf-ltf, boost, IAT, believe there was a timing advance you can look at, basically everything I wanted except the afr.... which will come soon.

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
how is it like a wideband? your car doesn't have a wideband so how will it read that parameter?
you have to buy a separate part...

Last edited by ecot3c inside; 07-04-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 PM

that serparate part has be be a plx wideband tho right... it cant be a AEM UEGO?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:38 PM

So it's sorta like that optional gauge box in the SS t/c? Sorta?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 AM

I don't know about the tc gauge box comment, but like I said I have been using it off and on and it is pretty cool. I also have an aem uego going in soon for afr, but you gotta pretty much buy a vent mount or something to hold your phone so you can see it. (duh right?) but when I turn off my car the plx wifi device is still lit up, I figure it would just be safe to unplug it, but what a pain in the ass to unplug it everytime you leave your car... also about the long cord comment, you can easily hide it behind the dash and stick that **** down with double sided tape. Its pretty cool IMO and a good price (maybe) had to buy the 40$ app for it, I didn't know that. so grand total was 180$.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm too JDM for you

i'm so confused. you need a separate part to run a wideband but you are getting an AEM uego that displays its own AFR's and has nothing to do with that app?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
i'm so confused. you need a separate part to run a wideband but you are getting an AEM uego that displays its own AFR's and has nothing to do with that app?
yes sir. It doesn't say afr's, and Im not sure if it is the same as the sb1,lb1, sb2, lb2. either way I want just my afr on one gauge not going to switch between the 4 when my rpm changes. I already have the uego, might as well put it to use or sell it? .... you kinda confused me
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM

i posted this in another thread so i thought i would post it in here. they have software that connects through bluetooth for other phone applications. here is a link that i got after i emailed PLX devices about android software. they strongly reccomend the torque app. he said there is a FREE version with ads. and there is one that doesn't have ads that cost 2.99. anyway, here is the link

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwibluetooth/software.html

Quick Reply: OBDII for iPhone