Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Problem w/ Trifecta

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem w/ Trifecta

Ok, to start off I ordered a trifecta tune about 4 months ago. Since I see the majority of the site is either trifecta or HP, I decided to try out trifecta. So I seen one of the dealers have a good deal on the tune and red cable; snatched it up and waited for my tuning experience to begin!

Now mind you, I never had a car other than mustangs so I wasn't familiar with this type of tuning, all my past tuning was with SCT and it was simple and quick. Trifecta tuning; simple but not quick.

4 months have gone by and I'm still on the base tune, because "everything seems good with that tune." But I wanted more than just the canned tune, I paid for a custom tune. I asked for a "higher boost tune" and am still waiting for an email back. In the past 4 months, the communication blows, and I'm still waiting. Waiting, waiting, and waiting, most of the time when I emailed this guy, it would take two or three weeks to respond, and it was either "ok," or vince was out of town or some stupid ass excuse.

Sorry for the rant, but I have never dealt with any tuning that the turn around time just flat out sucks.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talk to Terminator2. He lives in Florida and does custom tuning with HP tuners. He's very good. Not sure how much he's around here but he'll still answer emails.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha I'm having a similar issue. I put the base file on my car and did some data logging... They come back and tell me everything is fine. Im like wtf, I have bolt ons and the base file was written for the stock car. I emailed the vendor back and haven't heard back yet, (vendor wont be mentioned yet because they have been good to me in the past). It's just frustrating I'm right there with you because it makes no sense that this base file should be right for my car.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM

This is the main reason I left trifecta. There's othere things too but this was the final straw. I agree with tommyP. Get an HPTuner and I too recommend Term
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Former Vendor

Who did you buy it from? We're located in South FL also... and my turn around time for my customers is 24 hours or so when Trifecta is open.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nobody2u
Haha I'm having a similar issue. I put the base file on my car and did some data logging... They come back and tell me everything is fine. Im like wtf, I have bolt ons and the base file was written for the stock car. I emailed the vendor back and haven't heard back yet, (vendor wont be mentioned yet because they have been good to me in the past). It's just frustrating I'm right there with you because it makes no sense that this base file should be right for my car.

Did you tell them what mods you had when you got the tune?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by nobody2u
Imma tell you this now, the reason he asks for your parts is because how many people he tunes... he makes a tune FOR your car. He doesn't give you a base tune for a cobalt.............It's never taken me longer then a couple hours to hear back from him so I'm not sure of the issue your having. He works Tuesday-Saturday.

Originally Posted by BNRacing
Did you tell them what mods you had when you got the tune?
Everyone assumes the first tune he sends you is for a stock cobalt, but it's not lol.

Last edited by ctn2mb; 07-13-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM

To add to it.. I just emailed him and got a response in 13 minutes.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM

I didn't the base file was sent to be before I knew it was being created hehe. But I mentioned several times that they need to be dialed in, seems that message wasn't relayed to Vince. It's not a big deal, I just expected that Vince would have gotten that message, I mentioned in the email that my downpipe and intake need to be dialed in within the body of the email but maybe it wasnt read too closely. Don't get me wrong I haven't given up on trifecta, it just gave me a surprise when my base file was 'fine'.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM

What mods did you tell him you had... He gives you a base file based off of other tunes that have had the mods you have... not to mention with the new ECP, the intake is pretty much auto dialed in.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 PM

The base file was done in November, so they wouldn't have had the new intake software involved. Like I said, the base file was sent to me before I was asked what mods I had so they were not included. I was told that they could be dialed in later on. So I did my data log with my base file and restated my situation that my mods were not included and needed to be added. That message clearly didnt reach Vince though. And that's my story haha. I emailed them back asking if they were included because it didnt make sensr that everything was sound. Didn't get a response back yet though. I think I'm just gonna resend that email and stress this information this time. Some caps lock maybe
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM

Umm... who was your dealer lol. I always ask what are your mods and such........... You had a horrible dealer lol. I'd prefer to get the base file as close as possible so no headache. When you order the tune it asks for mods and specifications you want...

also are you sure your data log even got sent to vince?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Haha I wouldn't go that far, it was because it was a special offer so it was done through messages and I should have known to speak up about mods. It was partly because I knew I wouldn't be tuning the car till summer time. My dealer has been very good to me on every other occasion. But no I'm not sure if it was sent to Vince. I'll just take this up with my dealer probably, I'm sure it'll get sorted.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by BNRacing
Who did you buy it from? We're located in South FL also... and my turn around time for my customers is 24 hours or so when Trifecta is open.

I bought from some trifecta dealer out of N.O, he had a special for the red cable and tune. But I'm in Coral Springs
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 AM
village idiot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd reccomend emailing Vince directly. Keep it simple because he does tons of cars. I'm sure business is booming. LOL.

You should give your name, address, vin#, mods and maybe go ahead and include any information you have about the time when you datalogged (elevation, temp, etc.)

Then attach the logs and see what the reply is.

If there's anything wrong he'll fix it. Keep in mind that he has done more Cobalts than anyone and has seen just about any combination of intake, gas, intercooler, turbo, supercharger, etc. Because of this he can usually get the tune right the first time and if any tweeking is needed it only takes one (maybe two) times.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 AM

I have had the same problem with Vince, he has told me that the reason for this is he is over whelmed with work. If I could go back in time I would and get a HP tune, but I am in it for $250 so i dont want to throw that money away.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 AM

I went through BNRacing and they sent it to Vince. These guys are good at replying back to me in a timely manner and the car pulls pretty hard too.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 AM

Yea dealt with bnr just got my cable an tune waiting to install everything on, good communication with bnr
Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommyP
Talk to Terminator2. He lives in Florida and does custom tuning with HP tuners. He's very good. Not sure how much he's around here but he'll still answer emails.
This!!! Term2 is my tuner and has been for a year now. I couldn't be happier with his professionallism and knowledge of the LNF. He has tons of years and cars under his belt. His turn-around for updates has been "ATMOST" a few hours. Usually the next morning in my inbox I have an updated HPT's file.

Originally Posted by vahdyx
This is the main reason I left trifecta. There's othere things too but this was the final straw. I agree with tommyP. Get an HPTuner and I too recommend Term
Exactly, I'm in California and I'm being tuned by Term2. His remote tuning(Despite what people say about it) is outstanding. I'm pretty happy with my setup currently on the stock turbo, I can't wait to put in my BNR and 5th injector to see what I can get. I never thought at first when I started with Term2 that I would be getting much over 300whp. First dyno he surpassed that more than I ever imagined. You'll be happy you did the switch.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ctn2mb
Imma tell you this now, the reason he asks for your parts is because how many people he tunes... he makes a tune FOR your car. He doesn't give you a base tune for a cobalt.............It's never taken me longer then a couple hours to hear back from him so I'm not sure of the issue your having. He works Tuesday-Saturday.
this...and agreed. when i was tuning my car, i'd get e-mails back within a couple hours, sometimes minutes...

Umm... who was your dealer lol. I always ask what are your mods and such........... You had a horrible dealer lol. I'd prefer to get the base file as close as possible so no headache. When you order the tune it asks for mods and specifications you want...

also are you sure your data log even got sent to vince?
yeah, it sounds as though the problem may not be with vince, but rather with the dealer...they should have asked you for your mods & vin from the start...

when i was getting my car tuned, i originally went through a dealer. When he told me about the cable special, i decided to do that and after i gave the dealer my vin & mods, i dealt straight with vince...i actually had a handful of problems when i tuned and i probably drove him nuts, but he was super helpful every time i'd e-mail him about something...
Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Also a little update. I emailed Vince after I started replying in this thread and he replied with.

"Yeah, I’ve heard. But I’m not really sure where these lack-of-response inquiries are going – these people that are complaining aren’t sending me email, which is, and always has been the best way to get my attention…

So I’m not really sure what to do. Any ideas?"
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Perhaps if he came on here and posted exactly how he works, his relationships with dealers, an dhow he wants people to proceed when there are issues it would help. Right ow people are frustrated because they have to guess.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Exactly, all I wanted was just more boost, I paid for a custom tune and all I have is just the canned tune. Ill try emailing my dealer again, or just go straight to vince
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM

If you have a cable... why are you going through the dealer.......................................
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM

If you have a cable... why are you going through the dealer.......................................
this.

he usually replies to me in a few minutes.
sometimes i'll even just call him.

vince is a busy guy, but is understanding and will work with you.
i make sure to take care of anyone i help out, so it sounds like its your dealer.

Quick Reply: Problem w/ Trifecta