Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Strange VIN # issue, help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange VIN # issue, help needed!

First things first, my car is a 2007 SC Cobalt. Built April '07 so it's a later year '07. Any1 ever have an issue getting a VIN to be programmed successfully? I just got the OTTP Stage 2 kit 2 weeks ago, I installed it, all is well in performance land. However, I couldn't get a crankcase relearn done. Turns out the computer I recieved had a different VIN programmed into it than mine, the one I specified. Cruise control also no longer worked.

I had them send a 2nd PCM out... I plug it in, put my key in and turn it to run, and was ready to do a fresh PASSKEY 3+ security relearn like the 1st time, but the security light didn't stay lit and turned off like normal... ok, I thought. I tried to turn it over and voila! It started. Weird... also, I didn't have to perform a crank relearn because the P0315 check engine light wasn't lit. Another added bonus; Too good to be true! but why? So I look with my OBDII scan tool and the VIN number again is not my VIN number, nor is it the one they 1st sent to me. They told me they programmed both successfully with my VIN, and now that the second one is wrong I believe them...

Josh at OTTP suggested that it is something with my car and that the VIN is being enumerated to be read differently that what it was programmed for, perhaps due to a lock on the PCM? Is that even possible? He's trying to find a used '05 or '06 PCM and flash that to my VIN, because he suggested the '07 might have some sort of strange lock on the VIN, which I never heard nor read of before.

If i ask for a 3rd replacement PCM and again it doesn't work, that would confirm their assumption (unless of course they are doing something wrong on their end 2+ times in a row, which I don't believe to be the case.... I sure hope not.) They sound professional enough, and many many many people recommend them on this site hence why I chose to do business with them.

What do I do from here?! I want my VIN to be correct when I read it with a scantool, I am going in to the dealer for an airbag issue I have... B0081 Passenger Presence System code which doing some research on needs their Tech II to access a subcode to find out which module is the cause. I don't want them to see a different VIN and bitch and moan about that being the problem... I also want my cruise control to start working again!

So I turn to the tuning veterans. What can be done with this VIN number issue? can HP Tuners change the VIN? if that can, then OTTP should be able to, right? HELP!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 AM

any1? i really need to know why I can't get my VIN right, no cruise and wrong VIN is killin me...
Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM

I'm not sure what to tell you on the VIN issue other than asking the dealer a "what if" question. As for the cruise, disconnect your battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect it. Normally that will get your cruise control working again.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Disconnecting your battery will do nothing.

On mine, I had a VIN OS/pair error because I had the wrong OS on my stock PCM. "Write entire" with the proper OS solved that, although it's a rather risky move and of course requires you to have HP Tuners.

Send the PCM back and tell them to rewrite it that way with your VIN.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM

*sigh*

It worked for me.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM

damn, i forgot to check back up on my post, thanks for the ideas.

so i went ahead and sent my original PCM in to get the calibration flashed, but b4 that they will do a read entire to a file, then flash another PCM with my stock file.

I should be getting my PCM with the tune on it tomorrow, and everything should work just fine. I'll then have a backup PCM with my stock file on it, hopefully GM won't look too far into it if I ever have to go back to stock, which I shouldn't have to (nor do I want to) but I wanted that option just incase something stupid happens.

Thanks for the replies, I'll post up when I get this resolved.