Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Tunning whats the difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tunning whats the difference

Can some 1 tell me what is the difference between Trifecta Tuning and hp tunning and which one is going to be better thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 PM

HP tuners and Trifecta are two different things same concept they both flash the stock ECU.

Here is the huge difference between them though an HP tuner is a software YOU buy and YOU tune or get a TUNER to tune the car.

TRIFECTA is tuning company that makes a tune for your car sends you the tune and the cable to flash the stock ECU you then send the cable back and that’s it. Only thing is if you change parts or add power to the car you need another tune meaning you have to pay for the service all over gain where with HP tuners you have the software and can just update it yourself if you have basic knowledge of cars and can read and interpret things yourself.

Ryan,
Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM

thanks seeing as im new i was wondering what the difference was and i am looking into gettin a tune and probley get it frome one of u guys on here so thanks for all the help
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 PM

What rscott said is mostly true. If you buy Trifecta, you can either go directly through Vince (the owner) or find a dealer in your area (dealers are on his website... I'm one of them ). If you were to add some aftermarket parts on that would require a retune for max performace (cold air intake, short ram intake, down pipe) you can get a retune (or update) for a discounted price since you're already a customer. The main difference between Hp and Trifecta is doing it yourself or a independent tuner (HP) vs. having Vince tune the car for you and make adjustments through datalogging (Trifecta). If you have any further questions you can PM me and I'll help you out!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically no point to do a trifecta if you ar enot done modding, i myself only use hp, because they are the shiz for real man.

hp tuners
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM

my cynical input - hptuners gets your money and you get the ability to tune a shell of all the parameters. then you reach a limit and hptuners tells you to pound sand.

the trifecta tune is not a user editable tune per say, but at least we can see that vince is highly motivated to continue investing time in the platform.

summary - hptuners made it to the LNF market first, and made a lot of money in the process, but only gives us a small fraction of what we need.

trifecta came along later and is not editable, but at least they are still doing R&D in a dedicated fashion. I'd recommend trifecta 100% of the time if you have one car to tune and probably about 90% of the time if you have multiple cars to tune.

The biggest advantage of HPT is that i paid more upfront, but i got to tune my cavalier and gxp.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
Basically no point to do a trifecta if you ar enot done modding, i myself only use hp, because they are the shiz for real man.

hp tuners
Don't ever buy an LNF then. They are not the Shiz in the LNF world. they are taking for ever to release anything but the minimal things we need to tune.

Trifecta is your best bet right now. Because he is, and will continue to be, backing the LNF platform. HPT seems like they just want to go elsewhere.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Banned

Still like i said before. if all these LNF Guys feel that trifecta is better not gonna argue there. But all of us Hp tuned lsjs like hp tuners. Yeah theres those un lucky few that got trifecta and now are stuck with the tune they got. But i can change mine anytime. Another thing about hp tuners. is they are coming out with new stuff all the time. so dont mis communicate.

james
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM

All the time? Are you kidding me...

They released overboost over 3 months ago. That was the first table they had unlocked for almost a year. They have not unlocked anything besides that since the initial release.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 PM

I just chime in here as I too am a bit lost in the different tuning options.
But my concern is that I need the best tuning option available, plus the best "tunable GM PCM" for my SC-ed 2,2 in a rwd car... (Different crank, cam sensor + coil on plugs etc. will be NO problem.)
Only the PCM will have to operate with the ETB and without CAN issues, so the LSJ's P12 is probably my only option. Right?

Leaves the question of the tuning... HpT? Trifecta? other?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Banned

Since you are gonna do all theat. You will prob have to go with a stand alone fuel man, and so forth bro. Hp tuners comes out with stuff and is truly the best on the market for us AT HOME, OR EVEN SHOP TUNERS. Trifecta might be good tuner source, but why would i pay 300$ for a one time tune when i can pay from 500$-7000$ for a tuneable source until i get rid of the car. Yeah trifecta might be good for that one tune. But what if you move states, to a colder, or warmer place, or you are s/c right now, and you wanna go turbo, i mean no point if you will keep modding. Trifecta or hptuners, or even stand alone. there is so many options one can take. It is jsut how good of a tuner he is. Thats what will make him decide
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM

HPT doesn't support the 2.2 AFAIK.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Since you are gonna do all theat. You will prob have to go with a stand alone fuel man, and so forth bro. Hp tuners comes out with stuff and is truly the best on the market for us AT HOME, OR EVEN SHOP TUNERS. Trifecta might be good tuner source, but why would i pay 300$ for a one time tune when i can pay from 500$-7000$ for a tuneable source until i get rid of the car. Yeah trifecta might be good for that one tune. But what if you move states, to a colder, or warmer place, or you are s/c right now, and you wanna go turbo, i mean no point if you will keep modding. Trifecta or hptuners, or even stand alone. there is so many options one can take. It is jsut how good of a tuner he is. Thats what will make him decide
because you can pay trifecta an update fee and get it retuned.. if you have a dealer around you it's very easy to work with trifecta
Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM

just so you all know SCT will be releasing tuning software for cobalts with the e16a ecu...which is the 05/06 2.2's...so those of you that dont want trifecta will soon have a way to tune your car urself
Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrsilent13
just so you all know SCT will be releasing tuning software for cobalts with the e16a ecu...which is the 05/06 2.2's...so those of you that dont want trifecta will soon have a way to tune your car urself
when?

and what setup? they have a bunch of "tuners" but most of them dont allow full on tuning

Last edited by elecblue06; 11-24-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Hey guys sorry bout my typing lol. every thread i have written in i have bad hand writing. sorry again. but i would only use hp tuners, unless you have a dealer around you both are good i heard trifecta is a great tuning source just not my style. james
Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor

If you like to DIY, get HPTuners. If you want to just flash some more power to the car without worrying about anything, get Trifecta.

No offense to Trifecta, but someone said HPT is limited etc.. And while I agree it is, I still see people making more power with that then with a Trifecta tune. So if that is also a concern, you want to get the most you can, I would go HPT and custom tune.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 PM

And HPT reaches a limit with the stock turbo, really. All I said about HPT being limited is when you want to go with a bigger turbo. Otherwise its fine. Customer support sucks dick though.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Banned

Customer support is ok, it jsut if you are a diy then hp tuner is the way to go, because you can tune it for your lead foot and learn your car bettery with a canned tune all you can really do it,you get used to the car. So if you know how to tune then get hptuners. and all of us that use hp tuners can help you man, it is fun. truly is.
'
just let us all know
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM

I have HPT. I know how to use HPT.

If you were talking to me...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

I myself say if you are a diyselfer, hptuner is the way do go. so if you are not alot of us hptuner guys/gals can helpy ou tune the balt

No bro lol i was talking to any one in general. I love helping my other ss buddys out with hptuners.

Last edited by Chevycobaltss3; 11-24-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

here is the link to the SCT updates im providing if anyone is interested

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/tuning-131/2-2-tuning-sct-195198/
Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
If you like to DIY, get HPTuners. If you want to just flash some more power to the car without worrying about anything, get Trifecta.

No offense to Trifecta, but someone said HPT is limited etc.. And while I agree it is, I still see people making more power with that then with a Trifecta tune. So if that is also a concern, you want to get the most you can, I would go HPT and custom tune.
The problem is as follows - you can get a wide variety of canned tunes out there that up the boost, richen the AFR a little and adjust the spark timing. These tunes, including trifecta, range from 200-400 dollars. The results you achieve with street tuning via hpt will be similar. BYT has an extensive and well written guide to achieve such results. Dyno tuning with hpt will get you a slight edge over the canned tunes. By that time, however, you can purchase the credits from someone else and save a lot of money.

Cliffnotes - Unless you thoroughly enjoy and are passionate about street tuning/doing you own tuning, you won't come out ahead with HPT in a dollar per result standpoint.

Now, where HPT is supposed to shine is extensively modded engines (read as big turbo, ported head, high rpm). However that is where they suck the most *****. We have vince and zzp with fuel pressure modifications to achieve >400whp, and we have hpt with closing throttle plates that have boned a quite a few over the past two years or so (one example of ECU shenanigans that HPT has not helped us with).

After you've invested so much in your hardware, which would you choose? BTW, assume you will get zero new tables from HPT, it's a good assumption. I asked hpt about lean cruise tables and they told me, "that's illegal, we will never support lean cruise". However they do support turning off emissions related CEL's. Talk about lame...
Old 11-29-2009, 03:19 AM

Since you are gonna do all theat. You will prob have to go with a stand alone fuel man, and so forth bro. Hp tuners comes out with stuff and is truly the best on the market for us AT HOME, OR EVEN SHOP TUNERS. Trifecta might be good tuner source, but why would i pay 300$ for a one time tune when i can pay from 500$-700$ for a tuneable source until i get rid of the car. Yeah trifecta might be good for that one tune. But what if you move states, to a colder, or warmer place, or you are s/c right now, and you wanna go turbo, i mean no point if you will keep modding. Trifecta or hptuners, or even stand alone. there is so many options one can take. It is jsut how good of a tuner he is. Thats what will make him decide
And add a couple hundred on top of that to get a laptop if you dont already own one. Eventually id like to go the HPT route but I wanna get my own laptop so I dont have to keep stealing the GF's comp...lol
Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 AM
Banned

yeah but if you work where they sale laptops then it is cheap to get one lol.. But yeah understandable with having to purchase a laptop.

Quick Reply: Tunning whats the difference