War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

06 cobalt ss sc vs. 05 neon srt-4.....1/4 cobalt wins

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
theres only a few guys in there I would trust for actually being STOCK btw. But thats just me. I know a 04 RL traps at 94 so thats what I was using as a reference but for an SS I've never seen a STOCK one trap higher than a 96 but I will believe Tofu's 97 cuz he's a good guy. But if you wanna pick the cream of the crop of traps for a car and use your list, the highest on there is 100 and the highest on the SRT forums for a stock SRT is an 05 that trapped 105 so...
not disputing that the srt is quicker stock for stock....but you did say we trap 94, and i can promise you thats low.
the first time i ever went to the track in my life.....at 4500 corrected alt....i trapped 94 on my first run and i missed 3rd, 97 on my second run. my best trap stock was 98.

i honestly thing the srt4 and ss are so close that is does become a drivers race.
if you run both on a perfect run the srt should be a nose quicker....
but we all know that mistakes happen. and happen often.

they are just so close that if one driver makes a minor error, its close enough to cost the win.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i traped 100.2 last weekend just have to post my time slip. You could trap 94 if you miss 2nd i gues?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM

theres only a few guys in there I would trust for actually being STOCK btw. But thats just me. I know a 04 RL traps at 94 so thats what I was using as a reference but for an SS I've never seen a STOCK one trap higher than a 96 but I will believe Tofu's 97 cuz he's a good guy. But if you wanna pick the cream of the crop of traps for a car and use your list, the highest on there is 100 and the highest on the SRT forums for a stock SRT is an 05 that trapped 105 so...
well we all have time slips to prove it does that 105 have a time slip?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
Just because the Neon isn't made anymore doesn't mean a SS/SC owner shouldn't care.

Thats like telling a 05-06 Mustang GT owner than a 1998-2002 F-Body will walk there ass. Then they say " Do they make them anymore? " well no " That's what I thought ".

And seriously some of you need to quit talking like it's a simple feat to run a 13 with a stock SRT-4 beacuse it isn't. It will happen as many times as a 99-04 Mustang will see 13's and a LS1 will see 12's.

In the 1/4 stock vs stock SS/SC vs SRT-4 is a dead heat with equal drivers.
I would say it is less than that actually. There are plenty of LS1s in the 12s. Here is one with his most major mod being a cam swap.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619241

And here is the fastest times for people who have cam swap as their most major mod. There isn't even a 12 on the list.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187330
Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 PM

I might be wrong, isnt the 04 RL slower thant he 05RL& SS/SC. I thought they where a little weaker motor, cuz they where slower in the 1/4 than our cars
Old 12-07-2006, 12:51 PM

thats where people are wrong...you should never look at the trap speed of a 1/4 mile race with a fwd car.....IT IS KNOWN that if you dont catch traction your trap WILL be higher.....I have seen cars trap 110-120 and still run 15s...explain that one..and to the guy who thinks its hard to run 13s in a stock srt obviously hasnt been around srts long enough...your probally one of those people who say its just a neon with a wing...the ss\/sc was meant to do one thing autox. and who knows maybe if some of you would try autoxing you might actually become a better driver. I have been going it for almost 5 years now and i love it more that street racing or 1/4 mile racing. If anyone is in south louisiana ill glady take anyone to an event...drag racing is for fast cars...autox is for fast drivers
Old 12-07-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by PayJ
thats where people are wrong...you should never look at the trap speed of a 1/4 mile race with a fwd car.....IT IS KNOWN that if you dont catch traction your trap WILL be higher.....I have seen cars trap 110-120 and still run 15s...explain that one..and to the guy who thinks its hard to run 13s in a stock srt obviously hasnt been around srts long enough...your probally one of those people who say its just a neon with a wing...the ss\/sc was meant to do one thing autox. and who knows maybe if some of you would try autoxing you might actually become a better driver. I have been going it for almost 5 years now and i love it more that street racing or 1/4 mile racing. If anyone is in south louisiana ill glady take anyone to an event...drag racing is for fast cars...autox is for fast drivers
You still have to have the power to get to that trap speed in the 1/4 mile distance.
spinning or not.

and this "and to the guy who thinks its hard to run 13s in a stock srt obviously hasnt been around srts long enough...your probally one of those people who say its just a neon with a wing"

gets you a big **** you.
have a nice day.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 PM

awwww your butt hurt now that i have provided enough facts that makes you feel pushed into a corner.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:08 PM

This has been a convo on these boards forever, at least ever since I signed on and I signed on after I sold my RL and got me an SRT4. Everyone here knows this **** already. There are few that dispute the fact that the SRT is faster than an SS stock. Those few are in denial or met up with the 16 yr olds with SRT's. A stock SRT with a SS with equal drivers will put about 3-4 cars by 110. I have a video on ehre with me racing an SS with K&N and my SRT is stock and I destroyed him in 3rd gear(strongest). Point is, this is a pointless thread and all it does is attract fanboi's like myself. Krautmobile FTMFW.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 PM

awwww your butt hurt now that i have provided enough facts that makes you feel pushed into a corner.
before we even start.....show me a single "fact" in your post....

Im butthurt?
wtf kinda plant are you smokin fool.

I gave you a big ol **** you because your a judgemental idiot.

I am a member of 2 different srt forums and post often. Ive been a big fan of the SRT since it was released. and would have bought one in 06 when i could afford a new car, if only they continued to make them.

Lumping me into some kind of srt hating group because i dont stick my dick in an srt tailpipe daily, or because i drive a Cobalt makes you look like a retard.

Saying SRT4's run 13s stock all day is like saying cobalt ss/sc's run 14.2 all day.

its just flat out not true.

Once again i say.....mr butthurt expert,

**** you.

what now.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Yeah, PayJ, your not very bright are you. Yes, there are cars that trap 110-120 and run 15's. And yes, to get that slow of a time and that high of a trap you either A) Spin a lot off the line B) miss a shift....however, running a 15 and trapping 110-120 just means you're a bad driver. If you had that high of a trap, the car is more than capable of low 12's, high 11's, maybe even mid 11's.

And to Alphajaguar, i've NEVER....NEVER seen an ss/sc trap as low as a 94. Please show me a stock timeslip of an ss/sc trapping 94 that is not 30,000 feet above sea level. The lowest i've seen was a 95 I belive or 96 can't remember. But 94 is pretty darn low....and yes 1mph does make a difference. My friend has trapped 97 stock and I witnessed it...don't have it on tape though but maybe he still has his slip. Bone stock.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:29 PM

dude trust me i check the "official 1/4 mile" thread found on this here site before i made the post...and according to that list not a one person got into the 13s stock...srt4 are running 13s all day stock...and modded cobalts...only 2 people got out of the 13s. and im pretty sure those 12 sec cobalts are pretty heavily modded. The point im trying to get out is that the aftermarket for the cobalt is no where near the size of the after market of the srt4...thus making the srt4 faster modded. Once the ss/\sc owners see past their "underperforming" supercharge and go turbo..the cobalt will stay in the 12s. Ill end on one more note... for 4000 dollars i can turn a 13-14 sec srt4 into a 10 sec car...that is still a daily driver, and unstaged from mopar. Whenever a cobalt can do that...im sold. No disrespect to any of the cobalt drivers with dreams of wanting to go super fast..if you want to, you need to get of the m62 or whatever its called and start learning about a t3t4 or gt series turbo.until then keep getting owned by traction

Glad you checked the list...Most of those guys are honest. Like Cody says:

Half the guys in the SRT-4 forums are full of **** and don't even post slips with their so called "quartermile times".

Can you make a SRT4 faster than a cobalt..sure can, no one here will argue that fact, but equally modded they are close enough to almost always be a drivers race.

4000 dollars i can turn a 13-14 sec srt4 into a 10 sec car
hahaha you failed to mention the part where you will make it about 1000 miles before blowing your motor. Sorry, but you are not getting a "reliable 10's SRT4 for 4 grand" unless you put in new internals and NOS the F out of it.

and regarding our m62...you shouldn't brag..you SRT4 guys need to slap on a bigger turbo once you really start modding. Pretty easy to beef the internals of an SS/SC and slap a whipple on it.

These threads get so ridiculous.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:31 PM

agreeing with this guy ^^^^^
Old 12-07-2006, 02:57 PM

HAhAhAHAHA i love the fact that this is suppose to be a web community but everyone he are judgemental ****/********. Not a person yet has asked me what mods i have in the srt4 that makes me think the srt4 is a better car. First of all i am in a mostly srt4 car club with all the srt4 over 400hp. 2 of the srt4s have a garret 50 trim turbo and 2 others including mine have a gt35r turbo. Im on low boost @ 26psi. and my fastest time to date is an 11.90. I have replaced my clutch and done all necessary fuel mods(no nitrous). This will probally my last post because this place is more worried about arguing than actually helping people. The reason i came to this site is to help people with turbo questions since there are no tuning solutions yet for the 2.2. My srt4 has a little over 50K miles(its an 04) and have yet to have any problems. The internals are good for 500hp and at 26psi i make 414hp. Yes that is low performance for the gt35r, but i did not want to build an awesome motor. I have the right amount of power for the streets and able to run slicks at the track. I hate the fact that people cannot admit that they have the slower car. I tell them their problem and they are so damn ignorant that they dont take my advice. The problem with the ss\/sc is that the supercharger. The supercharger is so restrictive that it will only see so much power and stop. you can change your boost levels by changing the pulley but it will still only see so much and then stop performing. You see this is making me such a crittic. I dont not own a ss\/sc, so i should not be able to pass judgment, but i have been around sc and tc long enough to understand hoe these things work. So you guys keep searching for performance and when ever you see performance is in a turbo..you guys will understand me.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:13 PM

to the guy who thinks its hard to run 13s in a stock srt obviously hasnt been around srts long enough...your probally one of those people who say its just a neon with a wing...

i love the fact that this is suppose to be a web community but everyone he are judgemental ****/********.

your a ******* idiot.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:24 PM

HAhAhAHAHA i love the fact that this is suppose to be a web community but everyone he are judgemental ****/********.
Coming on and calling people names for stating their opinions...sorry if you don't like the opinions, but everyone has just as much right to one as you..so in my opinion...your the ******* and unlike the majority of the SRT4 owners on this site...you have you head so far up yours that you forget which way is up.

Not a person yet has asked me what mods i have in the srt4 that makes me think the srt4 is a better car.
First off I am sure with your additude, no one cares. But for the record...if you have you car modded how does that prove it is a better car?...on second thoughts, please don't answer that question...I don't think I can stomach anymore of your answers.

First of all i am in a mostly srt4 car club with all the srt4 over 400hp. 2 of the srt4s have a garret 50 trim turbo and 2 others including mine have a gt35r turbo. Im on low boost @ 26psi. and my fastest time to date is an 11.90. I have replaced my clutch and done all necessary fuel mods(no nitrous).
See this?..... this is me not caring.

This will probally my last post because this place is more worried about arguing than actually helping people.
Thank god as you are the **** talker here.

The reason i came to this site is to help people with turbo questions since there are no tuning solutions yet for the 2.2. My srt4 has a little over 50K miles(its an 04) and have yet to have any problems. The internals are good for 500hp and at 26psi i make 414hp. Yes that is low performance for the gt35r, but i did not want to build an awesome motor. I have the right amount of power for the streets and able to run slicks at the track. I hate the fact that people cannot admit that they have the slower car.

You come on spewing **** about how the SRT4 is soo much better and faster....NEWSFLASH...I could make a skateboard faster than 11.9 quartermile time...all it takes is money...no one here cares that you can do it cheaper..thats the dumbest thing I continue to here from SRT4 owners...we can make our car faster for cheaper...we can make our car faster for cheaper...My SS would walk your SRT4's ass and you know what...I could care less, so could most other people on this site...no one cares. If you come on to help people then go to the help section and stay the hell out of sections like these spewing SRT4 garbage.

I tell them their problem and they are so damn ignorant that they dont take my advice.
Can say I blame them for not taking your advice..I think you have proven how samrt you are by calling people names for stating their opinions...I wouldn't want you advice either.

The problem with the ss\/sc is that the supercharger. The supercharger is so restrictive that it will only see so much power and stop.
All FI turbos and superchargers will in fact hit their limit eventually...same as your stock SRT4 turbo...you think we don't know this?

you can change your boost levels by changing the pulley but it will still only see so much and then stop performing. You see this is making me such a crittic.

No...we see this as something we already know and get tired of SRT4 owners coming in here saying it.

I dont not own a ss\/sc, so i should not be able to pass judgment, but i have been around sc and tc long enough to understand hoe these things work.
We own them..pretty sure we are well aware of how they work...so much in fact that we don't need someone who doesn't own one telling us the limits on them and how they work.

So you guys keep searching for performance and when ever you see performance is in a turbo..you guys will understand me.
Thats why the 03/04 cobras go with turbo's instead of Whipples right? Thats why ford decided to build the new GT500 with a turbo right? If you knew as much as you claimed you would understand the difference between the two and you would understand why chevy went with a supercharger instead of a turbo. It makes for a much better everyday driver, without the lag. Which is why most peopl purchase a sport compact car...because they want something that is an everyday driver as well as something that is peppy...I don't think anyone here bought their cobalts expecting to break any records. We would have bought an SRT4 for that

SWEET I JUST POSTED THE LONGEST REPLY, EVER!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:34 PM

Just because the Neon isn't made anymore doesn't mean a SS/SC owner shouldn't care.

I loved my 2006 Cobalt SS, but this is far from the truth, having owned and raced both cars at the dragstrip, a stock Cobalt will not outrun a Stock SRT. It isn't a dead even heat, SRT runs quicker as well as trapping higher.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
not disputing that the srt is quicker stock for stock....but you did say we trap 94, and i can promise you thats low.
the first time i ever went to the track in my life.....at 4500 corrected alt....i trapped 94 on my first run and i missed 3rd, 97 on my second run. my best trap stock was 98.

i honestly thing the srt4 and ss are so close that is does become a drivers race.
if you run both on a perfect run the srt should be a nose quicker....
but we all know that mistakes happen. and happen often.

they are just so close that if one driver makes a minor error, its close enough to cost the win.

At my track the DA hit 8200ft and my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC only trapped 91mph...

Best trap at a lower DA was 92mph... Bone stock...

Bone stock my SRT was trapping 100-101mph...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:38 PM

thats where people are wrong...you should never look at the trap speed of a 1/4 mile race with a fwd car.....

You know.. everybody has a opinion, and one really isn't better then the other...

But in my experience (22 years of drag racing) my SRT ran its best traps when it hooked up the best and ran its best 60ft times.....
Old 12-07-2006, 11:43 PM

Thats like telling a 05-06 Mustang GT owner than a 1998-2002 F-Body will walk there ass. Then they say " Do they make them anymore? " well no " That's what I thought ".

And seriously some of you need to quit talking like it's a simple feat to run a 13 with a stock SRT-4 beacuse it isn't. It will happen as many times as a 99-04 Mustang will see 13's and a LS1 will see 12's.

I didn't really mean they shouldn't care, just that it was kind of funny.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:45 PM

Honestly, I wish a moderator would come in here and lock this. It's pointless, the original poster can't type if his life depended on it and on top of it, it doesn't make any sense. What's the point? There is none.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by memphisr24

And to Alphajaguar, i've NEVER....NEVER seen an ss/sc trap as low as a 94. Please show me a stock timeslip of an ss/sc trapping 94 that is not 30,000 feet above sea level. The lowest i've seen was a 95 I belive or 96 can't remember. But 94 is pretty darn low....and yes 1mph does make a difference. My friend has trapped 97 stock and I witnessed it...don't have it on tape though but maybe he still has his slip. Bone stock.
I could show you a good 10-15 of them, and not one is a trap as high as 94. All done by my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Honestly, I wish a moderator would come in here and lock this. It's pointless, the original poster can't type if his life depended on it and on top of it, it doesn't make any sense. What's the point? There is none.
there are moderators here?!

i've never seen one....at least one that does anything.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by LittleMT
At my track the DA hit 8200ft and my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC only trapped 91mph...

Best trap at a lower DA was 92mph... Bone stock...

Bone stock my SRT was trapping 100-101mph...

well im gonna have to say, first off, you own an srt, and ive seen plenty of your posts, and your NOT an idiot. I love SRT's and i get very indignant when people automatically lump me in as an SRT hater just cuz i drive a cobalt, and thats mainly what was going on here with another srt owner......

but to your point, once again, I dont disagree with you. stock for stock an srt should win. especially 04-05

but to be honest bro, im not the best driver at all....hell when i got stage 2, i trapped at 103 and put down a 14.7, i still have plenty of learning to do.

but be that as it may, stock i didnt have much trouble trapping well over 94.

but either way, i think this thread has lived its life too.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:57 AM

I hope this will clarify for the stock vs stock SS/SC vs SRT4. Here are some arbitrary numbers which seem to be fairly accurate:

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

The only difference though is the SRT4 has more HP stock than the SS/SC. It also has MUCH more torque. Here are the specs on each for all model years.

2005:
http://www.internetautoguide.com/car...t-4/index.html

2004:

2003:

Lets see here 245-250 ft/lb of torque ( SRT4 ) VS 215 ft/lb torque ( SS/SC ).

The neons stock have a huge torque advantage. I would hope you can run low 14's to high 13's. Now, lets compare a stage 1 cobalt ( has around the same torque ), and around the same hp, because we all know that neons really make about 225-230 hp stock.
A stage 1 cobalt can easily see mid to high 13's, which is a LITTLE better than the SRT4 stock.

Now lets take it a step further. A stage 2 cobalt w/ a 2.8" pulley, and a CAI ( still fully warranteed by my dealership ). My car produces around 260 horses. From a dig Ill be the first one to tell you my car isnt very good ( partially responsible to the bald pirellis I use ).

From a roll, with this setup, I have yet to be beaten by any cars Ive raced. I have killed trans Ams, WS6's, RSX's, Mustang GT's, GTO's, 5.0's, Camaros, etc. Most of these cars run low 13's, high 12's. I put car lengths on them. Not to mention, Im only making around 260 HORSES. And the best part of all is IM STILL WARRANTEED.

As far as I know, Im not even sure if SRT's stage kits are warranteed at all. So honestly, you can have your aftermarket, when your s*&t breaks, youll be payin out the a&% for it, whilst Ill just drive my SS/SC to the dealership, and theyll front the bill .

HP 4 HP, and torque 4 torque, theyre almost identical. I think the SRT4 and SS/SC at the same HP/ Torque would be a VERY SMALL AMOUNT, in favor of the Cobalt. This is based on everything Ive read and seen though. For the most part, its a drivers race.

Ya know, out of all the cars Ive raced, I have yet to race an SRT4. Everytime I see them theyre going the other direction.... It sucks.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 12-08-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 cobalt ss sc vs. 05 neon srt-4.....1/4 cobalt wins