War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

2.0 ss vs. 2.0 ss (both modded) weird outcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.0 ss vs. 2.0 ss (both modded) weird outcome

So my friend has a cobalt ss/sc (2006) that has the following mods:

3 inch pulley (15-16 psi)
42 lb injectors
Injen Intake
Vibrant catback
GM stage 2 tune tweaked by me

My mods:
2.5 pulley (was hitting 20 psi tonight, usually I hit 19)
60 lb injectors
K&N CAI
ZZP Header
ZZP Dp with hf cat
Magnaflow 2.5 catback
A modified CA tune by me (20 degrees of timing)
100 OCTANE UNLEADED

Starts off at about a 35 roll.....2nd gear....3 honks

The Outcome.........

WTF DEAD EVEN. WELL ACTUALLY, HE PULLED A LITTLE BIT ON ME! WTF! WTF! WTF! My car is a hooptie, a p.o.s., a lemon, w/e you wanna call it. I will be going back to stock and probably selling the car because it's just a piece of shyt. Now, i'm not saying the cobalt is a piece, because it's a very niCe car, but my car just lacks power for some weird ass reason. It has always been like this.

A while ago when I had just a CAI and Catback, my friend had his 06 and it was stock. We did a 40-100 run....DEAD EVEN. THIS WAS BEFORE I DID MAJOR MODS! Both of us were alone, no passenjers, AND I HAD MY CF HOOD (which saves at least 15 lbs.)

However, I will not be selling my parts, SO DO NOT ASK ME IF I'M SELLING ANY PARTS.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

sounds like you do not have a driver mod
Old 02-10-2007, 11:54 PM

Well, i've had a boost problem with my car for a while now. She won't boost past 16-17 with the 2.5, and drops down to 10, sometimes 5 at redline (changes all the time). It's not my supercharger, not my boost bypass actuator, not the solenoid before that, and not the tune. IDK WTF IT IS. I run the boost bypass mod in order to keep the 19 lbs.

I ran a 14.1 at 99 with a 2.8 pulley intake and catback. WTF 14.1 at 99!!!! I can see if it was a 14.1 at 102...but 99 and a 60ft time of 2.2. A 2.2 is average in my books. I'm not a bad driver at all. I'm not the best, but i'm sure not bad. I have a fucked up car and i'm pissed off because my car has had lots of problems with it. It's just time for me to get rid of it
Old 02-10-2007, 11:57 PM

sounds like who is the betta driver!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:02 AM

life sucks then you die man i dont know what to say. you wanna know how to whoop ass. stock tune adjusted for 42 pounders and a 2.7 pulley, and steelies. your actuator IS fucked that why you can't hold boost at red line with out the bypass mod. also you might have a weird boost problem cause a rocker arm went out on you on the intake or exhaust side. you throw no codes so you wont know till the top end goes on you completely. all so seems like your trying to tune please tell me you have a wide band you know tunning those 60's can be funny sometimes. thats all my advice good luck. your car can be saved. it took me a yar to figure out whats wrong and trying to sell it twice but now that i figured it out its running better then ever. figure out your problems **** always wont go right you just gotta man through it.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:05 AM

Who is the better driver!? WHEN I SHOULD BE PUTTING DOWN 25-35WHP and about the same tq more than he has? To top that off, I was running on 100 octane. You want to know his 60 foot time at the track??? His BEST was a 2.4 (not making fun of you rob, just trying to prove to these guys that my car has something wrong with it). We went to the same track together and ran our cars. my 2.8 pullied car trapped 99 (EDIT: My 3 runs were 99 traps with my worst 60ft time of a 2.5 and best of 2.2 so that 99 was consistant), his intake and exhaust just trapped 100. I was banging the gears as hard as i could. So don't tell me that he's the better driver because we are pretty much equivalent.

From a roll, you eliminate driver error (unless you are granny shiftin it WHICH I WASN'T or short shifting it). You punch it, and then you shift at redline as fast as you can.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my input and opinion, but the way you break in your car can make a huge difference. I gave mine 2,000 miles without any heavy load. I made sure everything sealed well and everything would maintain well. Also broke it in some some long very consistant speed drives. I never run the car hard until it heats up to 90 degrees and has run long enough to distribute heat and pressure evenly. etc etc it all adds up over time.

How did you treat the car when it was in the first 2,500 miles? I agree too that driving styles could have determined that a lot too. The cars aren't divided enough to win skill aside.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 AM

I'm just so pissed off that my car is slow. My friend rob and I will have to switch cars and do the same thing over. I will get it on video this time and I will show you that my car is slow for my mods.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Banned

sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere. get rid of that ******* bypass "mod" and figure out where the leak is..
Old 02-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned

Boost leaks, especially as inconsistant as that is. If your tuning shouldn't you be able to control the boost bypass valve? If so then why are you having that problem. A buddy back home has a 350z thats extremely quick and stock. There are only two good reasons(unless broken), and those are a factory freak or driving habits. If you break your car in hard, its going to want to run hard. To seat piston rings properly you have beat on the motor. Only time you take it easy on it is when you break in a cam.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by liolixli
Just my input and opinion, but the way you break in your car can make a huge difference. I gave mine 2,000 miles without any heavy load. I made sure everything sealed well and everything would maintain well. Also broke it in some some long very consistant speed drives. I never run the car hard until it heats up to 90 degrees and has run long enough to distribute heat and pressure evenly. etc etc it all adds up over time.

How did you treat the car when it was in the first 2,500 miles? I agree too that driving styles could have determined that a lot too. The cars aren't divided enough to win skill aside.
I bought my car from Hawthorne Chevy. It had 330 miles on it already, I don't know why but they still sold it as a new car. Anyway, I learned stick on this car. Yes, I have stalled it out a couple of times, NOT TOO MANY times. Mostly I would just chirp the tires. (wasn't used to the drive by wire and the power since coming from a 1996 toyota corolla). (But other than that, I was pretty easy on it until about 1400-1500 miles).Anyway got my oil changed by the dealership for free the first time (I sent it in a little under 3000 miles, I think to be exact it was 2866). A little after 1500 miles though, I started beating on it just a little bit. However, I never beat on my car on a daily basis. I beat on it an average of maybe 2 times a week. I had my catback exhaust installed pretty early on in the cars life, i'd say about the 2000 mile mark.

However, i'm not going to lie, the car did knock for a while. Just blips of knock though, nothing serious. (meaning as soon as I step on the gas, I get a blip of anywhere from .4 to about 1.3 and it goes away in less than a second). When I had my 2.8 pulley on, I had knock up top past about 5500 rpm in 4th gear. However, when I found that out (which was right away because I had my scan gauge already before the 2.8) I never took it above 5500 in 4th gear.

I went to get my 2.5 tune put in and it was BEAUTIFUL. The car was amazing. 30 minutes later, I had a BAD knock problem. So bad I couldn't get on my car after 3500 rpm in 2nd gear. Get on it meaing flooring it. EVER SINCE THEN I DROVE THIS CAR LIKE THE BIGGEST BABY IN THE WORLD! I even shift slow to save my clutch. I rev match when I shift and i'm pretty good at it. So that made me buy HPTuners so I can figure out what the hell is wrong. I try tweaking stuff but nothing worked. After about a month, that's when I started getting the boost problems.

Get this, I put in a tune for a 2.6 pulley that someone else had made but richened up a tad bit. Same amount of knock in the SAME place, and same boost problem. The two tunes were completely different. The injector flow rate was pretty much the same though

Whatever, i'm just done with this car. I'll still be on the forums but will most likely be selling the car and giving the parts to my friend.

Last edited by memphisr24; 02-11-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by articzap
To seat piston rings properly you have beat on the motor..
I'm not saying I didn't run it through the rpms from time to time. Just that it was always with breaking it in in mind. Never started it and ran it hard right off the bat and never inconsistantly ran it hard.

That is one reason I picked up my car right away when I saw only 6 miles on it. I couldn't stand having something people beat on for a few hundred miles at the dealer. You know anyone driving it there was killing it. Even if the dealer took it home they were abusing it more then likely.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 AM

So the big question....Whats next in the garage??
Old 02-11-2007, 12:31 AM

I'm going to do a quick trade in for maybe only 8-10 thousand. Reason so low is because it has been in an accident as well, yes that may be what's causing problems to my car as well, however my car was always slower than the other cobalts even way before it had the accident. It also has a lot of miles, it's going to be hitting 26,000 in about a month. Then i'm going to buy a used civic with low miles (just for the time being guys lol shutup). Once I have some money again, I will be going the new camaro route or a used corvette. I don't really want to go used so I will most likely end up getting a camaro.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:47 AM

since everyone thinks that its driver mod why do you and your buddy race again but you drive his he drives yours
Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Banned

that sucks man , who do you think would win cobalt a : stage 2 , stock filter open box,gmpp exhaust. OR Cobalt B : Stage 2 , Airbox mod , ZZp header , zzp downpipe.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:05 AM

i beat guys with stage 2 with just injen intake and gm performance exhaust...depends on the driver....who is the better driver.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnfromVA
i beat guys with stage 2 with just injen intake and gm performance exhaust...depends on the driver....who is the better driver.
40 roll not a dig
Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by tummy
sounds like you do not have a driver mod
x2. i dont think it's your car... i think it is you

Originally Posted by memphisr24
I'm going to do a quick trade in for maybe only 8-10 thousand. Reason so low is because it has been in an accident as well, yes that may be what's causing problems to my car as well, however my car was always slower than the other cobalts even way before it had the accident. It also has a lot of miles, it's going to be hitting 26,000 in about a month. Then i'm going to buy a used civic with low miles (just for the time being guys lol shutup). Once I have some money again, I will be going the new camaro route or a used corvette. I don't really want to go used so I will most likely end up getting a camaro.
look into the lemon law if you think its really fucked up... you might be able to get a brand new 07

Last edited by chevysalesman614; 02-11-2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 PM

It's not always about how much power you make... it's about how much you can get to the ground.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:10 PM

well the lemon law wont help because it isnt a major problem that has been repaired 3 times. but it does sound like the car wasn't broken in properly. to do a good break in you have to be nice for a couple thousand miles, the first 500 miles are the most important. You also do some gradual higher rpm low load driving too, that means you should be going the normal speed you would be driving but a gear lower once in a while. my other comments are, are you tuned for 100 octain? If you arnt you will lose power runing something too high. Also the knock problem sounds like you need to check your tune because that is a problem that is probably stealing a lot of power from you. You probably have it tuned too agressivly
Old 02-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by articzap
Boost leaks, especially as inconsistant as that is. If your tuning shouldn't you be able to control the boost bypass valve? If so then why are you having that problem. A buddy back home has a 350z thats extremely quick and stock. There are only two good reasons(unless broken), and those are a factory freak or driving habits. If you break your car in hard, its going to want to run hard. To seat piston rings properly you have beat on the motor. Only time you take it easy on it is when you break in a cam.
Ding ding ding ding!! I always thought this way. If you beat it from the start the heat will expand the piston rings and hone the cylinders and give you just a little bit more power. I always drive new cars relatively hard from the start. BTW I was the 06
Old 02-11-2007, 08:17 PM

The problem is deffinetly your tune man. Also do you have a HE, did you guys let the cars cool off between runs, if you didnt then he had a slith advantage since you car overheated much more than his. and you would end up making less up on an overheated 2.5" I think its the tune. Get some meth and a good tune and I assure you , your problems will be gone.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
So my friend has a cobalt ss/sc (2006) that has the following mods:

3 inch pulley (15-16 psi)
42 lb injectors
Injen Intake
Vibrant catback
GM stage 2 tune tweaked by me

My mods:
2.5 pulley (was hitting 20 psi tonight, usually I hit 19)
60 lb injectors
K&N CAI
ZZP Header
ZZP Dp with hf cat
Magnaflow 2.5 catback
A modified CA tune by me (20 degrees of timing)
100 OCTANE UNLEADED

Starts off at about a 35 roll.....2nd gear....3 honks

The Outcome.........

WTF DEAD EVEN. WELL ACTUALLY, HE PULLED A LITTLE BIT ON ME! WTF! WTF! WTF! My car is a hooptie, a p.o.s., a lemon, w/e you wanna call it. I will be going back to stock and probably selling the car because it's just a piece of shyt. Now, i'm not saying the cobalt is a piece, because it's a very niCe car, but my car just lacks power for some weird ass reason. It has always been like this.

A while ago when I had just a CAI and Catback, my friend had his 06 and it was stock. We did a 40-100 run....DEAD EVEN. THIS WAS BEFORE I DID MAJOR MODS! Both of us were alone, no passenjers, AND I HAD MY CF HOOD (which saves at least 15 lbs.)

However, I will not be selling my parts, SO DO NOT ASK ME IF I'M SELLING ANY PARTS.

Just kind of goes to show its best to go with all GMPP and keep your warnity. Just IMO...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Banned

i think you need a new tune, get rid of the retarded boost bypass mod crap, and maybe look into a methanol injection setup if you still have a knock problem. dont sell your car for problems that can be resolved with a little work.

Quick Reply: 2.0 ss vs. 2.0 ss (both modded) weird outcome