War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Cobalt Ss Vs. Srt-4

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that the Lambo LM-002?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 PM

well i am not interested in the cobalt but i do have alot of knowledge to help who ever has questions about mods... so we can win the war on rice...................
Old 07-07-2005, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by srtok
well i am not interested in the cobalt but i do have alot of knowledge to help who ever has questions about mods... so we can win the war on rice...................

THE WAR ON RICE,COMING TO SOME ASPHALT NEAR YOU!
Old 07-07-2005, 11:26 PM

wHERE IN OK ARE YOU?
WE ARE OPENING A NEW DRAG STRIP SOUTH OF LAWTON,u RACE AT NOBEL?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 PM

now he's got the right idea
Old 07-08-2005, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
Wow, I am pretty famous.

Although I did say numerous times SRT-4 vs SS is a drivers race. The fact that I am beating SRT-4's directly relates to the first statement. Like many SRT-4 owners posting here no one realizes ego and BS doesn't add HP.
It is not a driver's race, SRT-4's are faster, simple as that.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:58 AM

NOOOO damit please don’t start this again it finally ended and the post came to a peaceful end!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by polarexpress17
hmm ima jump on the bandwagon

SRT4s are fast for a drag strip or something straight, but the cobalts have WAY better handling and cornering than an SRT-4, so if you wanna brag about your "madd fast neon", we can brag about our great handling cobalts

Yes the SS S/C handles better. But not by that big of a margin, so you can get off your high horse about the "great" handling.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Wannago]Now don't get me wrong, I am fully aware of my car's pedigree, but nowhere on any of my insurance, registration papers, owners manual, etc. is my car referred to as a Neon.[/QUOTE

I just went and looked at one 2 days ago. I like them I think the front ends on those things are freakin sweet lookin, but it says NEON right on the sticker my friend!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dvscobaltSS
It is not a driver's race, SRT-4's are faster, simple as that.

Hey dude...I say an SS is faster, simple as THAT..ohhh no what you gonna do now...tell me and everyone esle SRT4 is faster...AGAIN... GIVE IT UP ALREADY
Old 07-08-2005, 02:27 PM
JCX

You know I was tempted to throw a couple barbs out there to stoke the fire but I'll take the high road and simply say this :

- I like both cars
- We'd do better to get along than to bicker
- Proven reality contradicts some people's opinions
Old 07-08-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
.I say an SS is faster
I say you're wrong.

What a dumb argument to even make.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM

I would just like to go ahead and say I coined the phrase "the war on rice."

That is all.

-Matt

Old 07-08-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
Sorry to dissappoint you man but your car is a Dodge Neon SRT-4. The same way the Viper is a Dodge Viper SRT-10, ot the Charger is a Dodge Charger SRT-8.

Your car is basically just a performance version of the standard Dodge Neon, its not a totally different car. Just becasue its got a turbo, bodykit, and wing does not mean its no longer considered a "Neon".
It's no disappointment, like I said, I am more than aware of what my car is....besides, I'm not the one getting beat by a lowly "Neon"... I often tell people that I drive a "suped up Neon"...much easier than trying to explain what SRT is / means.

I was simply trying to clarify than NONE of the documentation I have says Neon on it.

Not my registration, not my insurance, not my owner's manual, not my window sticker etc.

AGAIN - I KNOW IT'S A SUPED-UP NEON - but it's not officially referred to as a Neon on ANY of my papers.

Actually, I don't know you if you can even buy an official Neon anymore...aren't even the base "Neons" called SX2.0's now? Anyway...not worth arguing about.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by b-spot
I say you're wrong.

What a dumb argument to even make.
F***ing A....g-spot...b-spot...whatever the hell your name is...if you would have noticed the sarcasm in my post you wouldnt have said anything...i really dont care that an SRT is faster...next time dont be so jumpy on calling people DUMB
Old 07-09-2005, 08:23 PM
tio

Hi All. I don't know how to tell you all this but your are all fighting a 30 year war. I am 38 years old ( have a 2 week old SS) and love it. I remember my Dad and his friend fighting (back in the 70's) who had a faster car, My dad's Chevelle SS or his buddy's 1969 Charger.
When I was about 18 I would fight whether my 1976 Monte Carlo was faster than my buddy's 1974 Duster. Dodge and Chevy have been going head to head for almost 40 years in performance and to be honest with all of you things have not changed that much.
They both produce great performance cars however they are for different types of drivers.
Dodge has always had all out brute force pick up in their performance cars. Chevy had always had a more refined approach to speed and handling ( not better just different).
The Srt-4 has ( in my opinion only ) great straight line speed. I think this car is great, a little raw in the whole cornering ralley type driving but still pretty good. The SS/SC is not quite as fast off the line but, man the thing handles corners and top end like a dream. I realize that most of you are into 1/4 mile but the real strenth of the Cobalt SS is on the twisting road ( I mean closed course ). This car is amazing over 100 mph. The only critical point I have on the SS is it does not have quite enough driver feedback ( and the Srt has just a little too much for my liking). Both are great cars and you can cross over the type of driving for both. Which car is faster ?? Who is driving it and where ? Careful with this debate, try to get it over with before your kids start driving LOL. It's Saturday night, I am going to go burn a tank of gas out of my car. Sorry for the novel but I have been reading these posts for a long time and wanted to offer my old man's .02 .

Respect to all of you,

Enjoy your cars ( whatever you drive) !
Old 07-10-2005, 08:50 AM

Tio,
Good comments. I am of the same era as you (I'm 40 - so I don't fit into the typical SRT demographic) and I also remember the same arguments.

However, don't be so quick to write the SRT-4 off as a "poor handler". There are many reviews out there to the contrary as well as a couple VERY impressive One Lap of America results over the last 2 years. Not trying to say it's better than the Cobalt, I've also read the reviews with respect to those, but I think many people see the accelleration numbers for the SRT and figure that's all it has going for it, when it actually handles and stops better than people give it credit for.

Oh, by the way:

The '69 Charger was faster than the Chevelle SS
The Duster was faster than the Monte Carlo

...just thought I'd clear that up for you, finally!
Old 07-10-2005, 10:31 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The '69 Charger was faster than the Chevelle SS
The Duster was faster than the Monte Carlo
Party pooper
Old 07-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by tio
Hi All. I don't know how to tell you all this but your are all fighting a 30 year war. I am 38 years old ( have a 2 week old SS) and love it. I remember my Dad and his friend fighting (back in the 70's) who had a faster car, My dad's Chevelle SS or his buddy's 1969 Charger.
When I was about 18 I would fight whether my 1976 Monte Carlo was faster than my buddy's 1974 Duster. Dodge and Chevy have been going head to head for almost 40 years in performance and to be honest with all of you things have not changed that much.
They both produce great performance cars however they are for different types of drivers.
Dodge has always had all out brute force pick up in their performance cars. Chevy had always had a more refined approach to speed and handling ( not better just different).
The Srt-4 has ( in my opinion only ) great straight line speed. I think this car is great, a little raw in the whole cornering ralley type driving but still pretty good. The SS/SC is not quite as fast off the line but, man the thing handles corners and top end like a dream. I realize that most of you are into 1/4 mile but the real strenth of the Cobalt SS is on the twisting road ( I mean closed course ). This car is amazing over 100 mph. The only critical point I have on the SS is it does not have quite enough driver feedback ( and the Srt has just a little too much for my liking). Both are great cars and you can cross over the type of driving for both. Which car is faster ?? Who is driving it and where ? Careful with this debate, try to get it over with before your kids start driving LOL. It's Saturday night, I am going to go burn a tank of gas out of my car. Sorry for the novel but I have been reading these posts for a long time and wanted to offer my old man's .02 .

Respect to all of you,

Enjoy your cars ( whatever you drive) !

Leave it to a fellow Torontonian to bring the soothing words of wisdom to this thread
Tio we need to hook up for a cruise night with some other T.O. folks
Old 07-27-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by redrocket
I agree that this is getting old and we should put our heads together to dust the rice burners.
I'm sure the SRT guys could help alot of us and as we modify our SS's we can share our results and know how.
I must say this and it is truth.
The driver absolutely makes a difference, and may have something to do with the following statement:
I have only run against 4 SRT's both on the strip and the street.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN BEAT BY A STOCK SRT BY MORE THAN HIS REAR BUMBER TO MY FRONT.
AND!!! I HAVE ACTUALY BEAT THEM.
From a standing start I always lose the holeshot but always gain and usualy go through the traps at a slightly higher speed, even if I lose.
Now wheather this result was from fear, I always beat the SRT over 120 MPH. Any one who has tried to stick with me to 140 is toast.
I laugh every time someone on here says the SS has no top end. HELL the SS is all top end!!!!!!!Long story short-I usualy get beat in the 1/4.
I usualy win in the long run.
No s_it.
And dude, the SRT is a neon.

Can i ask what your mods are, because just by physics your car should not be winning up to 140 simply because it is supercharged, turbos are much better top end.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:57 PM

The people that say the SS has no top end has never been in one. On the roll is when I win most of my races. There is no fall off on the top end at all on my SS. The S/C pulls hard in all gears, minus 5th? Never raced in 5th. The powerband on this car is not peaky, instead it peaks early and stays there!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:18 PM

hey whats up srtok. In the tulsa area? I live in owasso and drive a rally yellow cobalt with 5% tint sides and back. I like srt-4's there is a guy in owasso with a silver one that Iv followed around a few times. His car is pretty damn fast.

Lol heres the funny part. I followed him in tulsa one night and there was a black firebird at a light and I pulled up. Of course he wanted a run so I went. The guy was suprized to see I wasent in his rearview. In fact I was pullin on him slowly. After my fun I let the silver srt-4 take him lol that was funny he pulled him hard. It was lots of fun.

To all the SRT-4 owners I COME IN PEACE!

Old 08-07-2005, 05:58 AM

lol,, glad to see this thread isnt a million pages long like that STI thread was...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:16 AM

jag, thats because the cobalt and srt owners have evolved..the sti/evo guys are still stuck in "uugh..awd..uugh..terbow..uugh....TIMMY"

cept for the cool sti owners..the very few i know.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:39 PM

i can imagine you may be able to stick with an SRT-4, but eventually it will pull.. everyone really has to stop looking at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, and look at the 5-60 times.. a car's full potential and power is shown during roll starts.. if a cobalt ss was AWD, it would be running high 13's and if the SRT-4 was AWD, it would be running low 13's.. AWD makes a HUGE difference

Quick Reply: Cobalt Ss Vs. Srt-4