War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Cobalt tc vs v6 Honda accord coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MillerCycle
Yeah, it's rated 240 hp/212 lb ft at the crank. With my i/e mods I beat the crank hp rating and almost got to the torque rating. The manual 3.0's do 210-220 whp/190-195 lb ft stock. They respond very well to bolt ons for n/a, as good or better then 2v 4.6.

The 08+ Accord V6 gains about 35-40 whp from just J pipe and Pre-Cat Deletes alone.

The reason they make so much, is because Honda has arguably the most restrictive exhaust systems out there. Here's my old OEM J pipe.
35-40 whp from a J pipe and pre cat deletes with no tuning done? Does that include deleting the main cat or cats as well as replacing the catback?. Seems impossible to me that honda would make their exhaust that restrictive so as to leave that much power on the table. That is nearly a 20% gain. Catless DP and 3" CB on a SS/TC cobalt is worth 20 whp at most and that is with a tune.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terminator2
35-40 whp from a J pipe and pre cat deletes with no tuning done? Does that include deleting the main cat or cats as well as replacing the catback?. Seems impossible to me that honda would make their exhaust that restrictive so as to leave that much power on the table. That is nearly a 20% gain. Catless DP and 3" CB on a SS/TC cobalt is worth 20 whp at most and that is with a tune.
Yes, no tuning. It includes the main cat, the cats on the front exhaust manifold as well as the rear. So 3 cats taken off total! Seems impossible to me too, but there are a variety of J series power V6 Hondas/Acuras running PCD's and custom J pipe. All gaining 25-40 whp depending on which J3x engine. Acura TL Type S 3.5 can hit 300 whp untuned! J series are excellent little single cam engines, arguably some of the best all around V6's made overall(NVH/ reliability/ lineariy of power/ flat torque curve/ maintainence/ etc)!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
I must of clicked on the wrong link, I thought this was a cobalt forum.
This guy^ decided to troll my youtube account.
Name:  photo-110.png
Views: 913
Size:  88.1 KB

So I decided to check out what's on his channel. Hahahahaha

Name:  photo-109.png
Views: 876
Size:  684.1 KB

Trying to bash other youtube user vids, while you have THIS on your account?!^ Nice man.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This guy^ decided to troll my youtube account.

So I decided to check out what's on his channel. Hahahahaha

Trying to bash other youtube user vids, while you have THIS on your account?!^ Nice man.
Haha i felt like ******* with u dont cry, btw i love anime and do not give a single **** if u dont like it, i have never been ashamed of liking anime are manga so keep trying. Matter fact iv admitted to liking them on another thread on here where others also said they like that kinda stuff so please try and make fun of me about it lol
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 AM
Banned

Looks like i got more views then ur stupid ass honda video lol
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 AM

Looks like i got more views then ur stupid ass honda video lol
I would hope so, I only posted it a few days ago....

Those vids are over 4 years old too.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think he's trying to make you feel ashamed, I think he's simply pointing out makes you a soft dorky nerd. if anything he's implying you are ugly or overweight, at least all the anime people I've meant or known are basically societies rejects in terms of dress and overall personal appearance and hygiene. ?? Lol
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cranemaster
I don't think he's trying to make you feel ashamed, I think he's simply pointing out makes you a soft dorky nerd. if anything he's implying you are ugly or overweight, at least all the anime people I've meant or known are basically societies rejects in terms of dress and overall personal appearance and hygiene. ?? Lol
U need to leave 1970s people that enjoy anime/cartoons and video games are not all that stupid **** u have named we all come from different background different shapes and colors, i see u know how to use to the internet why dont u try to educate urself then.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 AM

So did you see my torque curve ?

Youre still making honda tq which was why i posted the smart ass commet.

Honda = lacking tq
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
Youre still making honda tq which was why i posted the smart ass commet.

Honda = lacking tq
I quoted you asking about my torque curve, not peak torque.

Here's an LSJ with pulley/intake/exhaust/tune. Seems pretty damn close to me. I guess LSJ's have Honda torque too.... but even then the torque curve is not quite as flat as mine.

Name:  fixedgraph.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  58.9 KB

Here's another bolt on tuned GM Stage 2 LSJ
Name:  Dyno2.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  78.4 KB

^I'm at or above 200 lb ft from 2500 rpm to 6250 rpm(in this dyno it is 4000-6000). Once again I don't have full bolt ons or tune or even full exhaust mods, I'm comparing to LSJ's with more mods and tunes to me.

Last edited by MillerCycle; 01-08-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM

I used to have a 6th gen v6 accord. Loved that car. V6P for the win, still one of the best forums I've belonged too .

Interesting reading this thread. I don't know much about the 8th gen accords. And of course, I highly doubt I'll ever get a chance to run one. But nice to see Honda up its power more after the pathetic j30.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Seebs
I used to have a 6th gen v6 accord. Loved that car. V6P for the win, still one of the best forums I've belonged too .

Interesting reading this thread. I don't know much about the 8th gen accords. And of course, I highly doubt I'll ever get a chance to run one. But nice to see Honda up its power more after the pathetic j30.

*J30a1 w/4AT.

J30a4/a5 6MT is completely different beast altogether.

7G PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION - V6 Performance.net Forums

8th gen J35 6-speed Accords can hit ~300 whp+ with bolt ons and no tune(Hondata just released tuner for J35 this month though).
7th gen J30a4/a5 6-speed Accords can hit 270-280 whp with bolt ons and no tune, but less torque then J35.

Last edited by MillerCycle; 01-08-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

I quoted you asking about my torque curve, not peak torque.

Here's an LSJ with pulley/intake/exhaust/tune. Seems pretty damn close to me. I guess LSJ's have Honda torque too.... but even then the torque curve is not quite as flat as mine.

Here's another bolt on tuned GM Stage 2 LSJ

^I'm at or above 200 lb ft from 2500 rpm to 6250 rpm(in this dyno it is 4000-6000). Once again I don't have full bolt ons or tune or even full exhaust mods, I'm comparing to LSJ's with more mods and tunes to me.
lol gonna go to the dyno section and pic guys off the bottom of the list with gm super rich tune.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM

*J30a1 w/4AT.

J30a4/a5 6MT is completely different beast altogether.

7G PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION - V6 Performance.net Forums

8th gen J35 6-speed Accords can hit ~300 whp+ with bolt ons and no tune(Hondata just released tuner for J35 this month though).
7th gen J30a4/a5 6-speed Accords can hit 270-280 whp with bolt ons and no tune, but less torque then J35.
Well ya, the 6th gens got raped by their pathetic transmission. (which I went through 2 of).

With the 7th gen only dynoing around 200whp stock. What exactly would get them up to those kind of numbers? Especially without a tune. I knew a couple bolt on 7ths that weren't even remotely close to 260ish.

Only one on there I can find even near that got quite a lot of stuff done.

The 8th on the other hand I can believe a little more. Especially with the j pipe mod.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Very impressive torque. I've never seen a J30 so flat like that. We both reach 200wtq at about the same RPM even with my mods.

Also, the peak hp is a bit lower because there was a spike at the end. Probably more like 237-238. Same thing happened to me with my first dyno. The chart said 255 but there was a spike and it was really 250. That was STD corrected and way back like 2 years ago lol. Not to be an ass, but although it's a bit cut off, it looks like the graph above reads STD in the top right corner

Btw, I wouldn't necessarily say the cutout lost power. Like I said, I saw 3whp differences between one run and the next with no changes at all. I'd say there would be a slight loss in the low end, but only where the AFR is different as shown. Otherwise it's basically identical the whole way.
hmmm even ur hero sonnick dont buy the bs.
Dyno results are in guys - Page 2 - V6 Performance.net Forums
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05J30VTEC
Turns out it was STD, I'll call tomorrow for the SAE corrected and the CF. You were right on the spike.... Here's the numbers without spike. But it was in a closed 80 degree room with no fan on my car.... Still not bad, 238 whp.
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/...1/photo-95.jpg

PCD's would help so much, my short term goal is 250 whp. Then later I will do the 3.7 IM/TB, UDP, and 4 inch CAI(after the IM/TB though).

I beat TL Type S auto(3rd gen) with intake and exhaust, I thought it would be closer....
hmmm getting better.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub'd, lol.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Well ya, the 6th gens got raped by their pathetic transmission. (which I went through 2 of).

With the 7th gen only dynoing around 200whp stock. What exactly would get them up to those kind of numbers? Especially without a tune. I knew a couple bolt on 7ths that weren't even remotely close to 260ish.

Only one on there I can find even near that got quite a lot of stuff done.

The 8th on the other hand I can believe a little more. Especially with the j pipe mod.
A normal stock auto Accord V6 7th gen does 190 whp, manual does ~220 whp.

Name:  acorn123_zps7d8c7ecd.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  204.4 KB

For J30a4/a5:
Acura J37 IM/bored TB w/matching 4 inch CAI: solid 20 whp
CAI by itself: 7-10 whp(the link posted recorded 7 whp gains across the powerband)
3 inch CBE(Catback Exhaust): 5-10 whp
PCD:Solid 15-20 whp
J pipe w/3 inch collector:10-15 whp
UDP:Negligible, little to no gains.

Here's a stock Accord V6 manual J30. They do about 220 to the wheels out of the box, this one wasn't broken in.
The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online - Articles - Road Atlanta?: Day 3 - Dyno and Dragstrip

"The Accord went second and performed like we thought it would after hammering the throttle for a couple of days. No shy, retiring commuter engine, the J30A4 is a beast. It belted out 217 hp and 195 lbs-ft of torque at the wheels. And this engine is only rated at 240 hp/212 lbs-ft at the flywheel! Of course, we did use premium gas to extract the most possible power and the J30A4 rewarded us with a surplus. By comparison, last year's CL-S 6-spd pumped out 218 hp and 201 lbs-ft (also on a Dynojet) from its J32A2 engine. We felt that the J32A2 was pretty accurately rated at 260 hp/232 lbs-ft at the flywheel. If this is the case, that would make the Accord a 260 hp/225-230 lbs-ft engine. Not bad for 3 liters, SOHC and the "economy" form of VTEC. Note how ruler flat the torque curve is. From 1500 to 6500 the engine produces 90% or more of its peak torque. The little blip at 4000 rpm appears to be the VTEC transition, while at 5000 rpm the intake manifold butterfly valves open. Sweet. If we had any complaint about this engine it was that it wanted more revs - yep, that's about the only complaint."

Here's an 2 Accords with my mods, but with PCD's.

248 whp.

I have 3 inch CBE and custom J pipe, he doesn't have these... but he has PCD's. Look at our torque curves.
Name:  Mydyno_zpse4317494.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  35.7 KB

Last edited by MillerCycle; 01-08-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM

lol gonna go to the dyno section and pic guys off the bottom of the list with gm super rich tune.
I don't even have a tune, so seems pretty damn fair to me. Untuned stock Cobalt S/C's run with slow cars like RSX Type S and Civic Si anyways.... I remember reading Insideline article that got 15.4 @ 97 mph for it.

Last edited by MillerCycle; 01-08-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Here's an 2 Accords with my mods, but with PCD's.

248 whp.
Accord V6 6spd Sedan Dyno - YouTube

I have 3 inch CBE and custom J pipe, he doesn't have these... but he has PCD's. Look at our torque curves.
The numbers are pretty impressive giving the simple bolt ons, but still not close to the 270-280whp said.

At 250, you'd be hanging with a stage 2 lsj (which anyone serious about modding their lsj would minimum be) and possibly a stock lnf.

I don't even have a tune, so seems pretty damn fair to me. Untuned stock Cobalt S/C's run with slow cars like RSX Type S and Civic Si anyways.... I remember reading Insideline article that got 15.4 @ 97 mph for it.
A stock lsj dynos around 215whp (gm don't overrate the hell out of their cars like Honda does). Using the dyno you provided, a stock 7th gen dynos 217whp. So you got 2whp over us yet weigh an extra 300lbs more. If we go on your other baseline of 220whp, it's a 5whp difference. I would think this would be more of a drivers race then anything else, stock for stock that is.

A SS/TC on the other hand dynos around 240whp stock. So they have an extra 23-26whp and weigh 300lb. less. So winner there is obvious.

Throw tuning into the mix and both the lsj and lnf improve dramatically. Heck, the LNF bolt ons make no difference at all unless the car is tuned. Boosted cars are known as things that need tuned.

It's interesting learning about the Accords. I have drove a 7th gen 6 speed and liked it, but I wouldn't trade my LSJ for it any day of the week. The nice thing about the LSJ and LNFs is it's very possible to make them quick for very little money. Personally, I've had my LSJ since April and I've already maxed the power on the stock supercharger. And I did it pretty damn cheaply. Looking over V6P, even the 7th gens on there with the most bolt ons that are N/A, I couldn't fine near my current numbers.

As for the 8th gens. Besides the fact that I've never seen a modded one in my life (and don't blame them. I have always thought the 8th gen is ugly as hell compared to the 6th and 7th). Even if we have one at say 300whp. The car weighs about 500lbs more then your average lsj/lnf. Giving the price they go for and year they were made, it's more fair to compare them to an LNF. And a bolted on/tuned LNF can make 320whp easy with some ridiculous torque. With the weight difference, the LNF wins easy.

I appreciate you sharing your information on here. It's refreshing to learn the V6 Accords are still around and kicking, especially with it being a car very few people know about.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM

The numbers are pretty impressive giving the simple bolt ons, but still not close to the 270-280whp said.

At 250, you'd be hanging with a stage 2 lsj (which anyone serious about modding their lsj would minimum be) and possibly a stock lnf.

A stock lsj dynos around 215whp (gm don't overrate the hell out of their cars like Honda does). Using the dyno you provided, a stock 7th gen dynos 217whp. So you got 2whp over us yet weigh an extra 300lbs more. If we go on your other baseline of 220whp, it's a 5whp difference. I would think this would be more of a drivers race then anything else, stock for stock that is.

A SS/TC on the other hand dynos around 240whp stock. So they have an extra 23-26whp and weigh 300lb. less. So winner there is obvious.

Throw tuning into the mix and both the lsj and lnf improve dramatically. Heck, the LNF bolt ons make no difference at all unless the car is tuned. Boosted cars are known as things that need tuned.

It's interesting learning about the Accords. I have drove a 7th gen 6 speed and liked it, but I wouldn't trade my LSJ for it any day of the week. The nice thing about the LSJ and LNFs is it's very possible to make them quick for very little money. Personally, I've had my LSJ since April and I've already maxed the power on the stock supercharger. And I did it pretty damn cheaply. Looking over V6P, even the 7th gens on there with the most bolt ons that are N/A, I couldn't fine near my current numbers.

As for the 8th gens. Besides the fact that I've never seen a modded one in my life (and don't blame them. I have always thought the 8th gen is ugly as hell compared to the 6th and 7th). Even if we have one at say 300whp. The car weighs about 500lbs more then your average lsj/lnf. Giving the price they go for and year they were made, it's more fair to compare them to an LNF. And a bolted on/tuned LNF can make 320whp easy with some ridiculous torque. With the weight difference, the LNF wins easy.

I appreciate you sharing your information on here. It's refreshing to learn the V6 Accords are still around and kicking, especially with it being a car very few people know about.
The 270+ whp dyno numbers are attained with the simple addition of J37 Intake Manifold and bored J37 Throttle Body plus custom 4 inch CAI to make the most of the IM/TB. I can post the dyno sheets, videos, and time slips of an Accord with those mods. Basically the extent of I/E mods for J30. Tune would definitely jump him to 290-300 whp, but as stands SAE corrected 276 whp untuned. That dyno run of ~255 whp was before the IM/TB/4 inch CAI install.

I disagree on Honda overrating their cars, my "240 hp Accord" dyno's same whp as "260 hp Acura CL Type S"(as in the above quoted article) and just as much or more the 280+ hp G35 as well as 2v 4.6 Mustang GT's. I think where they get this rep is from the unusually high parasthetic drivetrain loss through their automatic transmissions.

Yeah stock LNF would be good run.... as stands any mods on LNF and I would lose. I found this out when 300 whp LNF Casionerd and I had little run in.

I have never seen a modified V6 manual Accord other then my own, I second that. Old people buy them.

I would definitely consider an LNF as next car, I drove one and loved it.... Fantastic brakes, steering, suspension, clutch, etc. My only complaint was it's low redline and less then thrilling 2.0 Ecotec exhaust note, I like to and am used to wringing out the engine to redline.

Name:  photo-90.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  109.5 KB

Ignore the torque number, it was a spike(actually 235)! The lower number is before 4 inch cold air intake.

^Before and after IM/TB install.

Last edited by MillerCycle; 01-08-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran my friends 03' TL Type-S this summer, has intake, headers, exhaust and tuned. I was surprised how fast it was down low, but I could reel him in after giving him 5 cars, so it wasn't impressive at the top end at all. I've raced newer awd TLs with exhaust and it was the same outcome. They heavy cars.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Banned

ur a moron dude the cobalt ss/sc stock is not a 15.4 sec car try 14.2-14.4
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM

I know Edmunds Insideline can't drive and always seems to get bad numbers but.... I'm not a moron and they did record 15.4 @ 97 as previously stated.
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Road Test

"At the track our test car ran zero to 60 in 7 seconds flat and sprinted the quarter-mile in 15.4 at 97 mph. In comparison, a similarly priced Dodge SRT-4 (which is turbocharged) that we recently tested went zero to 60 in 6.3 seconds and ran the quarter in 14.9 seconds at 94.3 mph."

Yes there are much better and faster numbers out there for it, but that one was just stuck in my head for some reason.

Last edited by MillerCycle; 01-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Hahahahahaha you're wrong. Most guys can only hit that with an LNF. LSJ is a high 14 car. Competes with Si's and stuff.

Quick Reply: Cobalt tc vs v6 Honda accord coupe