Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   War Stories (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/war-stories-54/)
-   -   GTO vs Stage 2 + Nitrous (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/war-stories-54/gto-vs-stage-2-nitrous-76919/)

SLoW SHO 09-19-2007 12:07 AM

GTO vs Stage 2 + Nitrous

Ran into a stage 2 Cobalt SS/SC tonight. We chatted for a few mins and he actually knew what he was talking about :o He's got an N.O.S wet kit with a shark nozzle basically pointing straight into the blower. He told me he was on a 75 shot, just filled his bottle and was really interested in running my GTO.

Naturally I was down to run.

So from a 40 roll he got a little jump on me, he hit it just a little bit before the 3rd beep. He pulled out about a half car. I cast into third at about 70mph and started reeling him in. This guy obviously didn't want to give up his jump because it took all of 3rd gear to pull back even. I hit 4th at about 105 and started inching away, by the time he shifted to 5th (125mph) I had about a car on him. He started to fall back quickly after that and I let off at 140 right at the top of my 4th gear.

We did a quick race from a stop but I let off in 2nd gear because I had already put about 10 cars on him.

Suprised and confused he was interested to know what I had for mods. Just a catback and drag radials I told him. He looked my car over and scratched his head. Couldn't find anything. "Good race" I said, and we took off :twothumbs

c0ld29 09-19-2007 12:11 AM

man I'm considering getting a GTO now after all these threads... haha good race

blownssdel 09-19-2007 12:13 AM

very good run it sounds like. i think thats the way i'm gonna go with my balt. not too small of a pulley, tune, and nitrous. seems like the best way to make the most power. were you suprised at all?

RoelSS 09-19-2007 12:18 AM

You got 12.54 with a catback and drag radials? Good lord thats a great improvement!. Nice run by the way. The 6.0L Goats rock!! (Why are the 5.7's so much slower?)

lsjwannabe 09-19-2007 12:21 AM

he is dumb if he was shifting into 5th at 125 4th goes to 148 on a stg2 7k limit... i think he was a little misleading about what he had done

c0ld29 09-19-2007 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe (Post 1465065)
he is dumb if he was shifting into 5th at 125 4th goes to 148 on a stg2 7k limit... i think he was a little misleading about what he had done

maybe he was trying to conserve gas, after all, the ecotec is about gas mileage first! lol

jgarciarivera 09-19-2007 12:23 AM

I know GTO's have a lot of power. My good friend, a dentist, invited to a dyno. His first pass was 421WHP, (2004 GTO supercharged).

lsjwannabe 09-19-2007 12:23 AM

hahaha true

Shanman 09-19-2007 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by RoelSS (Post 1465052)
You got 12.54 with a catback and drag radials? Good lord thats a great improvement!. Nice run by the way. The 6.0L Goats rock!! (Why are the 5.7's so much slower?)

LS2's have an extra 50 hp and 30 torque also torque curve is much fatter in LS2 then LS1

SLoW SHO 09-19-2007 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe (Post 1465065)

Crack kills :lol:

Originally Posted by blownssdel (Post 1465017)
very good run it sounds like. i think thats the way i'm gonna go with my balt. not too small of a pulley, tune, and nitrous. seems like the best way to make the most power. were you suprised at all?

Not really too suprised, a 2.9'' pulley and a 75 shot, he seemed about right where he should be.

Behind me! lol :lol: jk... kinda :-p

lsjwannabe 09-19-2007 01:08 AM

stg2 is a 3.06 pulley fyi

SLoW SHO 09-19-2007 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe (Post 1465269)
stg2 is a 3.06 pulley fyi

Oh yea I forgot, s2 cars aren't allowed to run smaller pulleys :lol:

And they go 150 in 4th :lol: :lol: :lol:

hungryhip-ccp 09-19-2007 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO (Post 1465310)

what you dont belive we hit those speeds in fourth ? i dynod my 07 balt ss and begged the tech to let me use third telling him my gears were long... well he insisted on fourth so i did, with custom tune i hit 146.3 mph at 7295rpm basically 150 thats what my speedometer said just so you know...

imagine if we had close ratio tranny with six speed how much faster are cars would be! also with all my mods i still only have $22500 in my car what do you have $35000?:nono:

but i give you props you still won i wouldent race you without the :lol: gas either!!!

SLoW SHO 09-19-2007 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp (Post 1465392)
what you dont belive we hit those speeds in fourth ? i dynod my 07 balt ss and begged the tech to let me use third telling him my gears were long... well he insisted on fourth so i did, with custom tune i hit 146.3 mph at 7295rpm basically 150 thats what my speedometer said just so you know...

imagine if we had close ratio tranny with six speed how much faster are cars would be! also with all my mods i still only have $22500 in my car what do you have $35000?:nono:

but i give you props you still won i wouldent race you without the :lol: gas either!!!

7300 rpm to go 146 is accurate im sure. But this guy probably didn't want to run his car to the 7,000rpm rev limiter spraying a relatively large shot. Im sure he shifted at like 6500rpm.

Your car didn't come with 6psd's and I doubt it would make that much of a difference.

I got my car for $24,000 used with 1,200 miles on it. Why do people insist on comparing cost? You have a Cobalt, I have a GTO. You get what you pay for.

Mines_Better 09-19-2007 02:27 AM

no need to make excuses for the balt in this race guys. sounds to me like he put up a damn good fight. the GTO didnt really win by that much. to lose by only a car thru 3 gears???? thats bad ass! hes probably capable of fairly low 13's.
i think the GTO is a bit of a freak though to be so fast from just exhaust. you sure the previous owner didnt do anything else to it? haha! i mean, i have raced a couple 6.0's and they werent like yours thats for sure.

Red2.4SS/SC 09-19-2007 02:58 AM

GTO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe, i ran a carrera s last night , thats all i have for storys

codyss 09-19-2007 08:41 AM

GTO's suck:lol:

1gmfanatik 09-19-2007 08:50 AM

:lol: @ yet another GTO thread. Nice runs though...He did admit to the Cobey giving him a run for a little bit though

R&C_rallySS 09-19-2007 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO (Post 1465433)
7300 rpm to go 146 is accurate im sure. But this guy probably didn't want to run his car to the 7,000rpm rev limiter spraying a relatively large shot. Im sure he shifted at like 6500rpm.

Your car didn't come with 6psd's and I doubt it would make that much of a difference.

I got my car for $24,000 used with 1,200 miles on it. Why do people insist on comparing cost? You have a Cobalt, I have a GTO. You get what you pay for.

I agree with you. If I could find a LS2 GTO for around 23-24k I would get one I think. I like the cars alot. You just can't beat that kind of displacelent with a cobalt (inless you have tons of work done) I think I can keep up with you from a dig with my DRs on and from a roll I honestly think it would be close. Then again I won't be running mid 12s I'll only be in high 12s. Should be like 12.7-12.9 next time I go. It's only a guessing game at this point. Awesome kill. I won't race past 115 cuz I only trap in the 1/4th @ 107-109. ^ and when I say keep up I mean within a car length.

Mods If I had a GTO:
stronger axles (seen people snap them at the track)
Lingenfelter 366 CID LS2 Supercharged Package (http://www.lingenfelter.com/ls2gtoscic.htm)
Intake
Exhaust
Headers
Tune

That would put me aprrox: 560 whp & 520 wtorq Lingenfelter GTO FTW!

lsjwannabe 09-19-2007 09:07 AM

you said he was stage 2 didn't you, i didn't catch the 2.9 pulley.

btw stop talking about cost this i got my gto for that i don't care and i don't think any respectable person does your comparing a cobalt to a gto like you said

CTCOBALTSSS 09-19-2007 09:11 AM

I don't get it SLoW SHO. You have more than a cat-back and drag radials........

lsjwannabe 09-19-2007 09:16 AM

what.. driver mod

Edubs 09-19-2007 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS (Post 1466055)

Whatever do you mean?

codyss 09-19-2007 09:41 AM

I could see drag radials helping with his 12.5 but a cat-back is pretty much a 3-5hp gain.

The fastest stock GTO went 12.79 with I belive a 1.8 or 1.9 60ft, what kind of 60ft were you running with the Drag radials?

c0ld29 09-19-2007 10:27 AM

I wonder if this one will get locked too... everyone calm down! lol

Onyxd04Redline 09-19-2007 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by c0ld29 (Post 1465004)
man I'm considering getting a GTO now after all these threads... haha good race

Why? If you want speed just get an LS1 f-body. Fast if not faster then the GTO. GTO weighs too much for me.

c0ld29 09-19-2007 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline (Post 1466347)
Why? If you want speed just get an LS1 f-body. Fast if not faster then the GTO. GTO weighs too much for me.

actually my friend loves GTO's so I've been looking around at them with him, and I like em too besides them being so big, but in all actuality as soon as I pay the balt off I would like to get a c5 corvette. I was just saying that it seems every thread I read about a s2 cobalt vrs GTO ends up in a loss for us cobalts.

607Motorsports 09-19-2007 10:46 AM

I have personally pulled on a couple 6.0's on the highway. Choose to believe that or not, I'm not here to bullshit or brag but thats the fact. At the track... well that's a completely different story, FWD blows :(

It drives me nuts seeing all these GTO owners coming on the Cobalt forums braggin about taking down a 4cyl 2 liter car... Why not go try to find a Z06, 427R, Shelby, or hell even a Supra and get some real bragging rights... It really doesn't impress me to hear your 6.0 took down a Stage 2 Cobalt the other night... End Rant...

codyss 09-19-2007 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 607Motorsports (Post 1466373)
I have personally pulled on a couple 6.0's on the highway. Choose to believe that or not, I'm not here to bullshit or brag but thats the fact. At the track... well that's a completely different story, FWD blows :(

It drives me nuts seeing all these GTO owners coming on the Cobalt forums braggin about taking down a 4cyl 2 liter car... Why not go try to find a Z06, 427R, Shelby, or hell even a Supra and get some real bragging rights... It really doesn't impress me to hear your 6.0 took down a Stage 2 Cobalt the other night... End Rant...

So that is different how, then the Z06, 427R driver should be held in the same regard as the GTO driver that raced a Cobalt.

Look at it this way we race what coes our way, if it happens to be a Cobalt oh well. I had a SS/SC and know how they run thats why I am here. The other GTO guys came here because alot of the easily BS stories reached beyond CSS.net.

Also think about this a modded SS/SC or SRT-4 kills stock Mustang GT's left and right so racing a GT in a GTO is barely rewarding. The argument of displacement or number of cylinders is a weak mans excuse. When the said 4 cylinder is competition for alot of todays and yesterdays V8's who cares if we race them?

c0ld29 09-19-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by codyss (Post 1466484)
So that is different how, then the Z06, 427R driver should be held in the same regard as the GTO driver that raced a Cobalt.

Look at it this way we race what coes our way, if it happens to be a Cobalt oh well. I had a SS/SC and know how they run thats why I am here. The other GTO guys came here because alot of the easily BS stories reached beyond CSS.net.

Also think about this a modded SS/SC or SRT-4 kills stock Mustang GT's left and right so racing a GT in a GTO is barely rewarding. The argument of displacement or number of cylinders is a weak mans excuse. When the said 4 cylinder is competition for alot of todays and yesterdays V8's who cares if we race them?

i agree, plus when theres a lot of sh*t talking on a civic forum about cobalt ss/sc's and you would go defend them, they could use the whole "well my car is older and yours has 205 HP and its FI its in a different league" blah blah blah... it happens. I'm not saying I don't get irritated when people come over and start talking trash on our cars and how they are slow, but the OP was just saying what happened in a nice way. Just because he had a GTO doesnt mean anything. If a guy with a geo metro posted up this same thing would you be as upset?

chevysalesman614 09-19-2007 12:00 PM

yes they do. any cobalt with a 7K redline does. you dont know what you're talking about.

i've never maxed 4th. but i did 2nd and 3rd yesterday. i video'd it too. proof can be produced. 2nd ends at 70mph. 3rd ends at 117mph. i think its safe to say 4th goes to at least 145

i think in the real world you would lose to a 2.9 car with a 75 shot. maybe not rape.. but a difinitive loss.

607Motorsports 09-19-2007 12:17 PM

I race whatever comes my way as well guys. I rarely ever back down from a race on the street. You win some you lose some and you can't get too excited or upset either way, it's all in good fun.

I'm simply saying I don't get why so many GTO guys come on these forums bragging about taking down a Cobalt... It would be like me coming in here bragging about taking down a Civic SI... what's the point? You are obviously faster and should be so why brag about it, to me it's just not impressive. I honestly don't see anyone else with any other type of car doing this on these forums except the GTO owners and I just don't understand it. For an SS/SC to really hang with a 6.0 on the highway you need a ton of mods, at the track you can simply forget about it lol.

Do not get me wrong at all... I love the GTO's and seriously considered buying one when I bought the Cobalt, but being in New York the RWD in the winter wouldn't have served me well. For my daily driver the Cobalt is more than adequate and keeps my appetite for power at bay for now.

FYI - I'm not sure about the Cobalt guy running the nitrous or if you know him personally but he should really do some more research on spraying into the blower with a wet kit. The fuel does very bad things to the rotors of the blower, not to mention spraying pre-blower isn't very efficient whatsoever. He needs an s/c spacer if he wants to spray wet and get its full potential.

Darksun 09-19-2007 12:25 PM

Good races man sounds about right. And i don't doubt a cat back 6.0 Gto pulling those traps if the weathers nice. The guy loloosh on here with the speed 3 went from a 100-101 trap to a 103-104 trap just from the weather going from hot and humid one day at the track to a cool night the next time he went.

Acidangel_5.0 09-19-2007 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614 (Post 1466582)
yes they do. any cobalt with a 7K redline does. you dont know what you're talking about.

i've never maxed 4th. but i did 2nd and 3rd yesterday. i video'd it too. proof can be produced. 2nd ends at 70mph. 3rd ends at 117mph. i think its safe to say 4th goes to at least 145

i think in the real world you would lose to a 2.9 car with a 75 shot. maybe not rape.. but a difinitive loss.

ive tached the cluster so i know 160 is definate.. but dont know b/c calibration could be slightly off at that high a speed.. but the ws6 i was racing multiple times confirmed we were in 16x range...

not sure what the deal is.. i run just fine with ls1s with just the 2.9 + stage and cai *shrugs*

Red2.4SS/SC 09-19-2007 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline (Post 1466347)

who wants a 6 year old car with a way shittier interior , and higher milage , and no warranty

NOT I

SLoW SHO 09-19-2007 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS (Post 1466055)

Not installed yet :guns:

Originally Posted by 607Motorsports (Post 1466373)

Already beat a 427r but why would I post that here? This is a Cobalt forum and I raced a Cobalt.

1gmfanatik 09-19-2007 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC (Post 1466789)
who wants a 6 year old car with a way shittier interior , and higher milage , and no warranty

NOT I

Actually, the interior isn't all too bad. The seats are pretty damn comfortable, and you can get ahold of a decent LS1 carrying Camaro or T/A for half what you got your GTO for and drive away from ya with much less money dropped in there, 04 wise. The 05/06's with the same mods would be a pretty good race, but I would still put money on the Camaro or T/A with a competant driver.

Not trying to start yet another argument, but just throwing out my opinions. Don't get it twisted, the GTO's are damn nice, very comfortable, and have alot of potential, but don't talk shit about an LS1 powered Camaro or T/A that was stopped being built how long ago, and still hangs with the LS2 powered GTO's. Stock LS1 Camaro/T/A can run a low low 13 all day long.

skymynx 09-19-2007 01:29 PM

i love how some people who probably have never even used nitrous like to talk crap about it and the effects of it preblower. im here to say right now that i've gone through about 30 pounds at the track on my ss/sc and have no signs of wear on the rotors. honestly i think u got a better chance of seizing the supercharger from overspinning it with a 2.5" pully. slow sho where bouts in ct are you?

SLoW SHO 09-19-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by skymynx (Post 1466827)
i love how some people who probably have never even used nitrous like to talk crap about it and the effects of it preblower. im here to say right now that i've gone through about 30 pounds at the track on my ss/sc and have no signs of wear on the rotors. honestly i think u got a better chance of seizing the supercharger from overspinning it with a 2.5" pully. slow sho where bouts in ct are you?

Central CT, in close proximity to the Berlin Turnpike.

607Motorsports 09-19-2007 01:47 PM

Honestly man I've ran nitrous for years now. I ran it on my Mustang, Camaro, and S/C ed Cav. I'm not blowing smoke out anyones ass here. Fuel will eventually have an effect on the coating of the s/c rotors. Also it's been dyno proven that nitrous sprayed pre-blower on any roots type blower does not yield the same amount of gains as being sprayed post blower.

Anyways SLo SHO you took down a 427R? Lets hear the details on that race because that's definately pretty impressive and worth hearing about.