War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Should i have kept my sti?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC

evo > cobalt (

touche
Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HyperMuffin
touche
haha

Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by cresintern
as long as they dont fall apart.
My homely 05 SS didnt fall apart in the 100K miles I had it . As long as you realize its based off a economy car and not a lexus , its actually a pretty killer car for the money . Is what it is .
Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
Without even mentioning anything about preference .....the final amount of monies paid on the STI after 9 years should make you refreshed you got out of it . STI's are nice , yes ....$46K nice , helllllno . On the other hand , after paying 385 for a long term 6 year loan in which the payments u make go towards you owning it ....the total comes to , including interest 27K and some change . Thats a decent deal , especially on a 6 year loan note that tends to really screw it to you on the interest paid . So ....

Financially = smart move

Which car is better = neither
My evo payments are $428 a month for 6 years. I really hate them, but Im getting rid of some credit cards so Im only actually paying an additional $30 a month over what I do now to have the evo.

Im still broke as a joke though.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 PM

Im still broke as a joke though.
Unless your jus loaded , I think its just and aquired trait of a car guy

I rolled a upside down loan into my new 05 SS when I got it ...payment $406 . I think you got the better deal . I like my Camaro , its payment is 0 .
Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 PM

sexiest AWD car other than evo's and sti's.
Yeah I plan on paying cash for a used one so no payments. I like how they come really loaded sunroof and indash nvg.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to ask you what youve driven in AWD. If you say an SUV, Im going to smack you.
no. Here's a list:

Buick Terezza (close enough to your SUV )
Subaru Impreza Outback
Impreza GT
06 STI (in a dealer lot)
Evo 8 (again in a dealer lot)
Eclipse
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Black SS
Hey now im trading in my cobalt for an blue 06 STI on friday. Im excited
Save for that clutch
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cresintern
guys i know this is war stories but this is a raging war in my head that i keep fighting. in march of 09 i traded in my 06 sti with 24k (had an awsome tune and invidia turbo back) made 305whp on a dyno dynamics dyno. probably a 12.6 110 car. ran perfect. anyhow, I lost my job and wasnt sure if I was goin to get a job that paid as much as my previous one. I panicked and traded the sti in for a balt ss/tc.

heres the stats , i got the STI with no money down and was paying 550 a month on a 48 month lease. when I traded it in I owed about 3000 in lease payments and 17300 on the residual payment. chevy took it, paid the 20,300 balance and sold it for 27k. I got into the balt ss, again, no money down and financed it at 72 months for 385 a month.

so I keep thinkin would it of been worth it to just of paid of the lease payments and go into a 5 year finance on the rest of the 17300 residual. assuming that I wouldnt of gotten a 0% 5 year deal (even with a credit score of around 700) I figure I would of paid 350 a month for 5 more years.

9 years of payments and a total price of around 46,000 $ out of my pocket after 9 years. (i also put 3k into with mods) what do u think bout that?
Sounds like you should sell the Cobalt and buy something like a 1994 Civic. Please, don't buy a house!!!! The last thing we need is more people like you being forclosed on.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by FutureEcotecOwner
A tune only SS/TC > stock STI

Sound better?

Good for you!! I've raced 2 STI's and a new WRX, beat all 3 of them each time I raced them.
Ya congrats? I was not saying, "ZOMG I HAS AN STI I IZ DA ****!!!" I am reffering to your initial post "a tune only SS/TC will beat an STI from a roll everytime"

I know of at least 3 600whp STI's 99.99999% sure you will NOT beat one from a roll... basically you made a very GENERAL and IGNORANT statement and I am glad you corrected it in the first half of the post I have quoted.

Last edited by tREBs; 12-09-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM

should have kept the STI...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by turbaltss
big wow you own an sti
AHAHAH **** you're a moron... did you not read the statement? where in any part of it did I say My car was god!! ahaha you are stupid, I added that in as a "I have first hand knowledge about the STI" and I am not bashing the cobalt. PLEASE re-read my statement and the context in which it was made, i'm sure a 10 year old could figure it out. I sure hope you can.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by tREBs
AHAHAH **** you're a moron... did you not read the statement? where in any part of it did I say My car was god!! ahaha you are stupid, I added that in as a "I have first hand knowledge about the STI" and I am not bashing the cobalt. PLEASE re-read my statement and the context in which it was made, i'm sure a 10 year old could figure it out. I sure hope you can.
ahhh did I hurt mr. over sensitive's feelings? poor baby blah blah blah
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shibito
no. Here's a list:

Buick Terezza (close enough to your SUV )
Subaru Impreza Outback
Impreza GT
06 STI (in a dealer lot)
Evo 8 (again in a dealer lot)
Eclipse
Did you own the evo or sti?? Taking one out for a test drive isnt necessarily a fair comparison. You need to drive it around corners, in shitty weather, and at the track to see where it really shines. Trust me when I tell you awd is much better than fwd and rwd. I have owned an LSJ, a CSRT4, and a Cobra. Neither one of those handle no where near as well or launch as good.

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Yeah I plan on paying cash for a used one so no payments. I like how they come really loaded sunroof and indash nvg.
thats gonna be sick. You will enjoy it. You can make them pretty quick with little work too.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 12-09-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Did you own the evo or sti?? Taking one out for a test drive isnt necessarily a fair comparison. You need to drive it around corners, in shitty weather, and at the track to see where it really shines. Trust me when I tell you awd is much better than fwd and rwd. I have owned an LSJ, a CSRT4, and a Cobra. Neither one of those handle no where near as well or launch as good.
If he test drove it with the intention of buying it and didn't like, why would he buy it? Not alot of people go out and buy a car they don't like and say: "Well, I guess I'll get used to it". I test drove a WRX265 and I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the test drive either. I found it boring for daily driving and that alone didn't justify spending 40,000$+ () for me. Others see it different, and that's cool no hate.

As for AWD > FWD + RWD, in what respect? Kind of a general statement don't you think?

Btw, I woulda kept the Cobra :P RAWR!!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by White_Out
If he test drove it with the intention of buying it and didn't like, why would he buy it? Not alot of people go out and buy a car they don't like and say: "Well, I guess I'll get used to it". I test drove a WRX265 and I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the test drive either. I found it boring for daily driving and that alone didn't justify spending 40,000$+ () for me. Others see it different, and that's cool no hate.

As for AWD > FWD + RWD, in what respect? Kind of a general statement don't you think?

Btw, I woulda kept the Cobra :P RAWR!!
Drag strip:

LSJ = wheelhop
CSRT4 = wheelspin
Cobra = backend kicking out
Evo = goes straight

Snow/ice/rain:

LSJ = wheelhop + sliding
CSRT4 = wheelspin, but otherwise good due to ESP
Cobra = hold on to your asscheeks
Evo = unstoppable

Cornering:

LSJ = pretty good
CSRT4 = decent
Cobra = average
Evo = excellent

stock 1/4 miles:

LSJ = mid 14's
CSRT4 = 13.9 @ 106.6
Cobra = ~13.7
Evo = low 13's

Maybe I should be specifying, but I have the evo 9 which is the fastest evo out of the box.

And I agree, if he didnt like it thats cool. But honestly, you need to really drive the car to understand the difference, and not necessarily for just a test drive.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Not going to lie most of the AWD owners in here are getting awfully defensive about their cars.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rissa
Not going to lie most of the AWD owners in here are getting awfully defensive about their cars.
Because they are the ****

I'll have a WW Evo X by this time next year.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM

I miss my cobra. I had so many plans for that car. I still have the gears and CAI for it sitting in my closet . Someday Ill have another muscle car.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

I miss my cobra. I had so many plans for that car. I still have the gears and CAI for it sitting in my closet . Someday Ill have another muscle car.
And when you get that car, we'll hear all about how THAT car is the best car ever.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM

1Bad - which trim 9 did you get?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 AM

so back on topic with the OP's question... If i were you personally (i am in a sense, seeing as how i just lost my job), you need to do what i'm doing, or something similar... I love my SS/TC, and hate to see it go, but a car payment of any sort just isn't logical at the moment... i'm buying a cheap truck (for this shitty west MI winter), paying cash, having $15-25/mo PLPD and going back to school until i have something stable again before buying another vehicle like this. I'm not going into which is better, honestly i love both cars, but having a car payment, whether it's $550 or $250/mo, when your unemployed just doesn't make sense. Wait til you get back on your feet and you'll thank yourself later... just save alot of the money you'd be spending on a car payment and insurance, and use that to put down on a nice car in a year or two and have that one with next to no payment.
Good Luck with everything though!!

Last edited by kissmySS08; 12-09-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Drag strip:

LSJ = wheelhop
CSRT4 = wheelspin
Cobra = backend kicking out
Evo = goes straight

Snow/ice/rain:

LSJ = wheelhop + sliding
CSRT4 = wheelspin, but otherwise good due to ESP
Cobra = hold on to your asscheeks
Evo = unstoppable

Cornering:

LSJ = pretty good
CSRT4 = decent
Cobra = average
Evo = excellent

stock 1/4 miles:

LSJ = mid 14's
CSRT4 = 13.9 @ 106.6
Cobra = ~13.7
Evo = low 13's

Maybe I should be specifying, but I have the evo 9 which is the fastest evo out of the box.

And I agree, if he didnt like it thats cool. But honestly, you need to really drive the car to understand the difference, and not necessarily for just a test drive.
Maintenance, wear and tear, repair, broken part replacement cost, etc etc... Don't be so 'MAH AWDZ ARE TEH INDESTRUCTIBLZ!!!11!" I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a great platform and all, but when you're talking about a DD, you gotta factor more than just the performance numbers. Cost is an issue with alot of us here, which is why we're driving a freaking Cobalt (:flamesuit.

And I've been trying to convince my buddy who has a brand new EvoX-MR to let me drive it through the snow this winter so I can test it's drivetrain .... Somehow I don't think he'll let me abuse his baby ... That's really the only way I can see the practicality of a TRUE road test... most dealers won't give more than 20mins ... speed limits, safe cornering, etc etc.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 AM

thats gonna be sick. You will enjoy it. You can make them pretty quick with little work too.
Yeah i seen one with a vortech supercharger kit and made 600 hp yeah i am pretty excited too!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM

AWD>FWD
RWD>AWD

my car has just one wheel FWD drive FTW

Quick Reply: Should i have kept my sti?????