Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

ContiSportContact 2 = <3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ContiSportContact 2 = <3

I love these tires :don_flame_suit: While they might not cut it for those literally tearing asphalt in the dry the wet performance of these for me @ 16k miles, 6/32nds tread depth to be simply astonishing once rolling. Sure, they don't launch all that well in the wet but the hydroplaning resistance and handling other than the aforementioned make this tire "beyond thunderdome" for me. I can deal with the minor trade offs in absolute dry performance for how well these tires have worn for me and the peace of mind I get from having these boots on when the Seattle rain gets shitty.

I do generally take it easy on the car as far as launching is concerned as evidenced by the tread depth remaining @16k but I thrash through the twisties like its going out of style and the uniformity of the wear just makes me harder than a crying stripper

Simply put, I can't see myself using anything else for my summer through fall driving with the tirerack's price on these atm.

What kind of mileage accumulated, comaprison versus your replacements and general comments would you like to toss in for me?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rchiwawa
I love these tires :don_flame_suit: While they might not cut it for those literally tearing asphalt in the dry the wet performance of these for me @ 16k miles, 6/32nds tread depth to be simply astonishing once rolling. Sure, they don't launch all that well in the wet but the hydroplaning resistance and handling other than the aforementioned make this tire "beyond thunderdome" for me. I can deal with the minor trade offs in absolute dry performance for how well these tires have worn for me and the peace of mind I get from having these boots on when the Seattle rain gets shitty.

I do generally take it easy on the car as far as launching is concerned as evidenced by the tread depth remaining @16k but I thrash through the twisties like its going out of style and the uniformity of the wear just makes me harder than a crying stripper

Simply put, I can't see myself using anything else for my summer through fall driving with the tirerack's price on these atm.

What kind of mileage accumulated, comaprison versus your replacements and general comments would you like to toss in for me?
I agree with your assessment. I like them too.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 AM

The stock SS/TC tires are excellent, despite what a lot of people on here think. A little lacking when powering out of a corner, but not bad at all. I've got like 5-6 auto-x's and almost 19k miles on the car and i've probably got 4-5 32nds tread depth all around. Rotate them every few thousand miles and don't drive like a douche and they will last a good while. I'm going to get star specs or V12's as my next tire, but for most these are an excellent summer tire.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 AM

My next door neighbor drives SCCA events all the time. He uses a 08 STi and his Porsche. the STi is well built and he runs Hankook Ventus RS3's. He says everyone there that wants competition DOT tire traction without the points penalty uses them, BUT the wear out in about 10-15k miles. On the porche he uses Falken RS-912's. yesterday I went and purchased 235/40-18 912's. I love them. way better traction smoother ride and a 40k warrentee!! I talked to some other guys at one SCCA event and they all backed his statements when he wasn't around.

Just my .2