Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Enkei News

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enkei News

Maybe you've seen my posts all over CobaltSS.net. I spoke with customer service rep King several weeks ago about adding some SS/TC wheels to their line. The problem is there hasn't been enough interest in this wheel and there aren't enough TC's on the road to make it worth their while to tool up for them. King has been pushing the people that make the decisions on wheel applications for us. I asked King if having as many people as possible inquiring on wheels for the TC would help in the decision process. He said it couldn't hurt. He told me then that Enkei would be releasing a brand new wheel around the end of Sept and if there was enough interest shown by the Cobalt SS/TC community they would consider making it for us. This was all weeks ago. I posted all this on many threads, including some that I shouldn't have for which I caught hell, asking for some support from the community.

Yesterday King told me he had received many calls and emails requesting some wheels for us. King had some positive word for me yesterday. The powers that be now have a SS/TC wheel template and are working towards making this wheel available for our cars. THIS IS NOT A DONE DEAL JUST YET!! But it is further than they have gone in the past. It's a good sign. The wheel will PROBABLY be a 17" that WILL clear the Brembos and weigh less then 17#. It will be offered in the race wheel line. The pricing should be the same, or close to, the RPF1. The model number will be "PFO1" and will be released the end of this month. This is ALL VERY TENTATIVE and may never happen. I'll be in touch with him and pass on any info I get.

Whether or not we get this wheel is still up in the air but I want to personally thank all the people that called and emailed King with their requests and support. It would have never gotten this far without it. Gentle persuasion works sometimes.

More calls, even now, would help our cause even more. Go to the Enkei website for the phone number. It's at the bottom of the page. And ask for KING. He's the guy leading the charge.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to see a damn pic of the wheel before I get all excited / interested.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:06 PM

It won't be released till the end of the month. Period!
Old 09-19-2009, 12:22 AM

I don't see how anybody can care about this when they have no clue what the wheel will look like...if someone at least said what style it is (5-spoke, mesh, etc.) then people may be more interested.

Especially with all the spamming you did in everybody's threads, I really don't think anybody is interested.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 007CobaltLS
I don't see how anybody can care about this when they have no clue what the wheel will look like...if someone at least said what style it is (5-spoke, mesh, etc.) then people may be more interested.

Especially with all the spamming you did in everybody's threads, I really don't think anybody is interested.
Ever since I joined this forum I've seen people complaining about the lack of choices of wheels for the TC. Many people have asked about light wheels. I too want some light wheels. So I went looking. The only thing I could find was custom wheels that cost way too much for my pocketbook and I'm sure others as well. When I called Enkei and talked with King things started looking up. Maybe there was a chance. He told me that because little interest had ever been shown Enkei wouldn't be producing anything for our 5X110 pattern. He said they were working on a new design that would be released around the end of September and the applications for it were still being decided. If he could drum up some interest that he could pass on to the powers that be, they MIGHT cover our application with the new wheel. So I volunteered to find people that were interested enough to make a phone call or send an email. The response was good enough to warrant them making a template for our TC wheels that will go over the Brembos. The people that design wheels and decide what applications they will fit are working with that template.

So, again, I'll thank those that contacted King at Enkei to show their support. It might, JUST MIGHT, be enough to tip the balance in our favor. This is still NOT A DONE DEAL!! But closer than ever and looking up.

What's the big deal about making a phone call to ask a manufacturer to pay attention to some possible new customers? You talk like a brainless fool when you say you don't care because you don't have a picture in front of you? I NEVER asked anybody to BUY anything or ORDER anything. Only SHOW INTEREST in a wheel. ANY wheel. If you don't like the new wheel you don't have to buy it. But maybe somebody else will. And if they sell enough of them they will make another available for our cars that maybe you WILL like. The wheel manufacturers make MANY style wheels. But very few of them to fit OUR CARS. Why is that? Because it takes time and money to make ANY wheel to fit a specific application. Our cars are unique in their wheel requirements. If a need is never shown for a product, nobody will ever make it. What makes it so hard for you to understand? Only a simple mind would think a manufacturer makes a product on a whim THEN hopes there is somebody in the buying public that wants or needs it.

As for all my initial posts. I do apologize to anyone I offended. But the word had to get out as fast as possible due to the October 1 release date of the new wheel. I only posted once in many of them and more than once if anybody asked a question.

Thanks to those that helped in the effort. And "you're welcome" to those that refused to take the initiative to help but will surely reap the rewards of others efforts.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
And "you're welcome" to those that refused to take the initiative to help but will surely reap the rewards of others efforts.
I tired many time to get them to make RPF1's for the SS...that was my effort.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM

i still want the RPF1. but whatever, i'm down if theres any lightweight, AGGRESSIVE offset wheels.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Get some Oz's and call it a day. These will cost as much or more than Ultralegerra's anyway.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Whatever floats your boats. I want 17", 17# wheels that I can afford. If I get them I'll be happy. If not I'm not just going to roll over and die. I'm going to continue to ask the manufacturers to make a wheel for MY car. If/when they do and If I like what I see I'll buy it. Till then have a nice day. But when that wheel does become available I'll be the only one around with them on my car because I'm not going to bore anyone on this forum with something new.

My final post on this subject. I'm tired of talking to people with closed minds.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:30 PM

only thing is we have no idea what the wheels gona look like, cant really get excited even if its a light race wheel, its tsill has to look good in order for me to buy.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 PM

My final post on this subject. I'm tired of talking to people with closed minds.
OMG! Your the only one to ever try and get a wheel company to make something in our size.

Originally Posted by Rage915
only thing is we have no idea what the wheels gona look like, cant really get excited even if its a light race wheel, its tsill has to look good in order for me to buy.
Thats what Ive been sayin. Stop making these threads without pics, nobody cares if there thinking about making a wheel in our size UNLESS we see pics of it and its a sexy ****.

Last edited by rallyracer; 09-19-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM

I give up. You guys are all brain dead!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 PM

No, people just have no interest in trying to get a wheel in their bolt pattern if they don't have a clue what the wheel is going to look like.

Sorry for the caps, but...

WHY THE **** WOULD ANYONE WANT TO WASTE THEIR TIME IF THEY DON'T KNOW WHETHER THEY'LL EVEN LIKE THE WHEEL AND WANT IT? DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

And for you to go around and spam all these ******* threads about it makes very little difference...again, people would be interested if you had any info at all about the wheel....at least what type of wheel it is...maybe no pic, but a description...does it have a lip, is it 5 spoke or mesh or whatever? Does it have fake looking rivets or real ones...any kind of info would help people decide if it's worth their time to make a call or put some effort into it.

Just going around saying I talked to so and so...call them to say I want this wheel in 5x110...what is that going to do? Especially when you're posting in threads that are specifically for the 4x100 folks like myself...real ******* useful.

One more thing...think about how many SS/TC's there are...2 model years worth...now think about how many of those cars are actually owned by someone...out of those people...do you really think all of them are going to be here? Are they all going to want aftermarket wheels? You're looking at a few hundred people AT MOST that MAY be interested in a wheel that they have no clue as to what it will look like. Also, I don't see too many of these people wanting to go down to 17" to save a few pounds...most probably want to stick with 18" and have something lighter/more durable than the stock wheel.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 PM

get them to make the rpf1 in a 5x110 and im interested.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 PM

a lite, wide wheel with an agressive offset would be cool
Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 PM

^like what i said
Old 09-19-2009, 11:24 PM

I Just bought a set of Enkei's. Good Quality Rims
Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 PM

like a 18x9 with a 35mm offset-ish
Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 PM

give me rpf1's or give me death!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:20 AM

I've called and have been in contact with King as well. He seems very proactive about this wheel. After SEMA is when the closure of the deal should be complete. The wheel itself should be similare to the RPF1. Look it up on the site. For the majority of the LNF cobalt comunity, we should all band together. Give our input on what we are wanting. I myself want a light wheel in a 17". With a 17" there are SO many more performance based tires that we can select from. From Drag Radials to snow tires.. Pick your poison. I want to be able to put on a DR with NO sparers or longer studs. Lets make this happen and give us an edge on the competition. A 17" wheel with Brembos?? Thats awsome. I don't care what they look like, but they will be a nice looking racing wheel.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:25 AM

not a similar wheel, that wheel. rpf1.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:38 AM

It sounds like Enkei needs to start drilling the RPF1 in 5x110 and that's about it.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:54 AM

Alot of it is not closeminded . Like I stated earlier , weve been down this road before since 2005 with the SS/SC and the RPFI . King is a AWESOME person and really does want to help the 5x110 community where lightweight race wheels are concerned( Ive spent a great deal of time on the phone with him ) . But it like a broken record from the folks who make decisions at Enkei and now just horse that beaten to bloody death . Generate interest , we need to see interest , oooh were so close to making it happen ......then ultimately in the end they just pull out the " sorry , not enuff interest card ".....oh wait but here , you can select from some of these bullshit heavy ugly wheels we make for you .
Old 09-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kildore
I've called and have been in contact with King as well. He seems very proactive about this wheel. After SEMA is when the closure of the deal should be complete. The wheel itself should be similare to the RPF1. Look it up on the site. For the majority of the LNF cobalt comunity, we should all band together. Give our input on what we are wanting. I myself want a light wheel in a 17". With a 17" there are SO many more performance based tires that we can select from. From Drag Radials to snow tires.. Pick your poison. I want to be able to put on a DR with NO sparers or longer studs. Lets make this happen and give us an edge on the competition. A 17" wheel with Brembos?? Thats awsome. I don't care what they look like, but they will be a nice looking racing wheel.
Thank you Kildore. Things sure were easier "back in the day". You had your choice of steel wheels or Cragers. What will it take to make these young guns understand?

NOBODY knows what the new wheel looks like except the designers. It hasn't been released for sale yet. As mentioned above they're probably waiting for the SEMA show. HELL! We aren't even sure it's going to be made for us. But it's worth a phone call if it will help. The RPF1 wheel has been around for a while. Maybe they COULD just drill the wheel to our pattern. But would it clear our Brembos in it's present configuration? I doubt it. If it was that easy, if all it needed was five new holes, I'm sure they would have done it already. They need a TEMPLATE to make a wheel. A TEMPLATE is a gauge or guide made to the dimensions and shape needed to design something mechanical. It doesn't have to be a physical thing. It can be a drawing. They didn't see a need in the past so they didn't waste the effort. Due to the INTEREST shown recently they HAVE MADE A TEMPLATE FOR OUR WHEEL. This should indicate to a THINKING mind they might be interested in PRODUCING a wheel from it. But only if they can justify the expense of creating a whole new wheel. Not Rube Goldberging a wheel that's already in production. That's not Enkei's style. They do it right or not at all. To justify the expense, somebody has to WANT the wheel. ANY wheel. They don't need orders up front. If enough interest is shown in an APPLICATION they will make a wheel for that APPLICATION. They will use their experience and wisdom to design a wheel that they hope will be what the people want. IF they are successful people will buy the wheel which will prove the interest is there for that APPLICATION and as new designs are released maybe they will include our APPLICATION for that wheel. To redesign an EXISTING wheel to fit would be more expensive than designing a totally new wheel. All this is not to say we are going to see a whole new line of wheels for the TC, but in the future we will have more influence on applications. To put it simply. If it wasn't for the older guys, like kildore and me, you young guns might never have seen a lot of the choices you have today.

To those that have to have a picture in front of them to make any decision at all. Just imagine an RPF1 or any other wheel that puts a tilt in your kilt and make a wish.

To 007cobaltls. I've already apologized for posting on the other threads (I don't believe I was spaming but posting on threads already talking about wheels and tires). What more do I have to do to please you?

To those of you interested in how our cars are gaining interest check your channel listings. Should be very interesting. Here's the link

http://www.gmtunersource.com/index.p...-time-on-speed

Happy trails.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Maybe they COULD just drill the wheel to our pattern. But would it clear our Brembos in it's present configuration? I doubt it. If it was that easy, if all it needed was five new holes, I'm sure they would have done it already.
Alot of the cars using the RPF1 already come with brembo calipers( evo , sti , 350z ect. ) larger than the SS cobalt version , so the answer to that would almost assuredly be yes so long as u stuck with a proper 38-40 mm offset on a 8" rim . And it is that easy , they have drilled the RPF1's for the 5x110 for various show cars from GM to the aftermarket . They start with the 5x114 pattern wheel to insert the 110 . A old vendor on here named street-graffiti hade a set drilled in the SBC finish , it was a show car for Alpine in the 06 Sema show . The particular 5x114 wheel they used was for a scooby STI . King is the one that handled having it done .

Quick Reply: Enkei News