Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Looking for Blizzaks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Blizzaks?

Good luck. If you're anywhere in Canada, you're going to have a hard time finding them.

Here's why: “Between 15 December to 15 March, the owner of a taxi or passenger vehicle registered in Quebec may not put the vehicle into operation unless it is equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving, in compliance with the standards prescribed by government regulation. The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires. (…)”

Here's what the last four Bridgestone Blizzaks in Western Canada look like:

I won't be putting them on for a few more days, no threat of snow quite yet. I thought I was pretty lucky - three of them were in Edmonton, the other one was in Regina. I went to Kal Tire first to see if they had 'em - nope. Midas is where I ordered them from. I was considering TireRack but I didn't really want to pay $100 for shipping and THEN have customs on top of that from UPS. Got all four in three days, so I can't complain. About $500 later. Can't wait to feel them grip through our harsh winter snow. This could be fun.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 AM

Blizzaks are killer in the winter. They wear out fast because of the extremely soft tread.......but that's why they're so good in the first place.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:11 AM

Yea that really sucks about customs and all that. I bought 4 Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1s and 4 steelies from Tire Rack and it was like $578.xx shipped to PA. Can't wait to try them out.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
huh im confused. if they are winter tires how does the mandate make them harder to find?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 AM

I've got Blizzak REVO's and they F%$k'n ROCK......I'll never go back to all weather tires!!!

Chad is a knob!!!..........the last 4 blizzaks in all of western Canada????????? Ha,ha,ha,ha

Last edited by betterthanbad; 11-09-2008 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 AM

i have 2 seasons... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
huh im confused. if they are winter tires how does the mandate make them harder to find?
Manufacturers can't keep up with the demand. This is a new law this year for Quebec. Does it cover any other Provinces though?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin Balt
Manufacturers can't keep up with the demand. This is a new law this year for Quebec. Does it cover any other Provinces though?
No only Quebec, but the tires all come from the same place.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by betterthanbad
Chad is a knob!!!..........the last 4 blizzaks in all of western Canada????????? Ha,ha,ha,ha
The last four any tire shop has in stock in western Canada. Order new ones and they'll backorder them. That is until suppliers start getting more of them from Bridgestone.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM

Careful discussing the "LAW"... According to the Reign SS Doctrine of political discussion threads, Law=Government=Politics...

Originally Posted by REIGN SS

I am well aware of the topic of the video, I saw it when it was first posted. Furthermore the video is about or tax system which is part of the govt. which is politics. I wasn't ignorant to lock the thread, the no politics rule didn't just pertain to the election.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM

are these bad for dry weather, im looking for a tire that is good in dry and snow, but mostly dry weather here in missouri, i know some snow tires suck if it isnt snowing, figures right? lol
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by BRN169
Careful discussing the "LAW"... According to the Reign SS Doctrine of political discussion threads, Law=Government=Politics...
And to think, you can talk about anything and STILL pull in the trolls. Come on buddy. Grow up. If you don't like it get out. No one is making you post and read posts here.

Originally Posted by SSuperchargd
are these bad for dry weather, im looking for a tire that is good in dry and snow, but mostly dry weather here in missouri, i know some snow tires suck if it isnt snowing, figures right? lol
I'm leaving mine off until there's a big threat of snow. They're a really soft rubber, so they will wear really quick on dry pavement and even faster on gravel. So I'm still driving on my OEM continentals until there's some snow on the ground.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM

I have a set of almost brand new 17" blizzak tires here in ontario..

selling for $300

they were on a g35 sedan
Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM

how many miles can i get out of blizzaks and should i look ahead in the forecast to see wether or not i should switch back to stock tires when its dry out so i dont waste the tread?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by EceSSiveMod
how many miles can i get out of blizzaks and should i look ahead in the forecast to see wether or not i should switch back to stock tires when its dry out so i dont waste the tread?
You should switch back to your regular tires when the snow melts and the roads are bare again. The tread is very soft and hard pavement wears them out like a hot knife through butter. I'm watching the forecast and the weather outside and when I see snow in the forecast I'll switch my conti's to the blizzaks. Good thing I have access to the tire changer at work!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't seen any of this supply drought everyone is talking about with snow tires due to Quebec going mandatory...

Between my 'Balt, my dad's Altima 3.5SE and my girlfriend's Mazda 3 I've had zero issues tracking inventory. 2 sets of Blizzak WS-60s and a set of Gizlaved Nordfrost 5s
Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 AM

Yeah, but we're taking western Canada here. I bet it's easy for you with you guys being right on their border and people may be wanting them just in case they go to Quebec. They probably have all their stock over there.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 AM

thats a PITA tho to change them a couple times a week
Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad92
You should switch back to your regular tires when the snow melts and the roads are bare again. The tread is very soft and hard pavement wears them out like a hot knife through butter. I'm watching the forecast and the weather outside and when I see snow in the forecast I'll switch my conti's to the blizzaks. Good thing I have access to the tire changer at work!
Are you serious? I'm not switching back and forth... **** that.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chad92
What you say is true here, but only to a certain extent. The wear isn't as extreme as you're describing.

I advocate not putting the tires on until the temperature is pretty much permanently below freezing for the winter, and taking them off the second there's some above freezing weather consistently in the spring.

As far as taking them off during the winter when there's no snow on the roads? Totally unnecessary. The key for these tires is operating temperatures, not driving on snow. My dad has had two consecutive Altima 3.5SEs (an 02' and now an 05') and both ran on the same set of Blizzaks until this year. This included a TON of highway and city driving on dry, clear roads. They key to making them last was taking them off at the right time of year; there's simply no need to dismount them otherwise.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSteveSC
I have a set of almost brand new 17" blizzak tires here in ontario..

selling for $300

they were on a g35 sedan
steve pm me thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=Force;3090049]What you say is true here, but only to a certain extent. The wear isn't as extreme as you're describing.

I advocate not putting the tires on until the temperature is pretty much permanently below freezing for the winter, and taking them off the second there's some above freezing weather consistently in the spring.

As far as taking them off during the winter when there's no snow on the roads? Totally unnecessary. The key for these tires is operating temperatures, not driving on snow.
QUOTE]

I ran Dunlop winter sport M3's for 2 winters on the SC.... they rocked!
after 2 Chicago winters they have another 2-3 winters left in them

as Force said, you'll want to wait until it's freezing out to put them on and leave them on all winter.... they not just snow tires, the rubber compound is meant to be softer than All-Season tires and will give you incredible grip/bite at below freezing temps!!!

I just bought Blizzak WS-50's from the Tire Rack and can't wait to get them on!!

Snow tires are made in limited production, companies estimate demand and they estimate a little bit low.... so yes, some tires do sell out by Thanksgiving!

you just don't want to be spinning the wheels on pavement that is NOT snow covered... enjoy!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:30 AM

Blizzak revo 1's......They are the best. I never get stuck in the snow ........ever..... Only problem is.....you can't race with them. Not the best on the gun at a red light!!! but who cares. Your life is worth it. I'll never go back to all season anything!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 PM

They weren't quite the last Blizzaks. I got a set of 225/45R18 LM25V put on my stock wheels in Fort McMurray last week...
Old 11-23-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by superx
They weren't quite the last Blizzaks. I got a set of 225/45R18 LM25V put on my stock wheels in Fort McMurray last week...
where at? and I had gotten 15's. Maybe should have stated that in the topic.

Quick Reply: Looking for Blizzaks?