Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

SS N/A: Stock tires in snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
SS N/A: Stock tires in snow

How are these in the snow? I know they are all seasons. I am going to be purchasing a set of rims and tires from an SS N/A and plan on using them throughout the winter. They usually do a decent job with the roads here, but there are times where we get a TON of snow and i'll probably have work or class. I refuse to go through another winter with my (now bald as ****) factory 18's and stock tires. I also will probably paint these gunmetal or black since they ahve some curb rash on them. Or i'll paint them red or yellow or something completely ridiculous. Just curious how these are in the snow (personal experiences.) Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was actually wondering this my self thanks for posting this.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
I was actually wondering this my self thanks for posting this.
No prob.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're fine. Just don't TRY to spin the tires and you won't have any issues. I drove my balt in a 14" snowfall with minimal problems. They're nowhere near my Jeep's MT/R's performance in the snow, but I could get around and stop as long as I left plenty of following distance.

Basically, don't drive like an idiot and you won't have any problems with your tires.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:07 PM

I wouldn't drive with the SS/NA tires in the snow. Yes they are "all seasons" but that doesn't mean they are good for the freezing temperatures. They most likely will give you the same or very similar snow performance as your 18" perelli's.

My winter tires (BF Goodrich Winter Slaloms) are better in snow and slush than my stock perelli's were in rain during the summer. If you know you are going to be doing a lot of driving in the winter get a good set of winters, even a cheapo set of winters would be hands down better than the stock perelli's.

I don't care how many people on this site say that the 17" or 18" stock tires are fine for winter, driving performance all seasons in the snow isn't the best of idea.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by EvlPeanut
I wouldn't drive with the SS/NA tires in the snow. Yes they are "all seasons" but that doesn't mean they are good for the freezing temperatures. They most likely will give you the same or very similar snow performance as your 18" perelli's.

My winter tires (BF Goodrich Winter Slaloms) are better in snow and slush than my stock perelli's were in rain during the summer. If you know you are going to be doing a lot of driving in the winter get a good set of winters, even a cheapo set of winters would be hands down better than the stock perelli's.

I don't care how many people on this site say that the 17" or 18" stock tires are fine for winter, driving performance all seasons in the snow isn't the best of idea.
We don't get as much snow as you do here, but we do get snow from time to time.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Theya re pretty good in the snow, but as said, you can't drive like an idiot. If you drive like one in the winter regardless of what car and tires you have, you are an idiot. But these aren't bad.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:17 PM

I don't know about how you guys drive, but I seriously never had an issue in the snow last winter. I had to drive over 30 miles each way in traffic every day to work and we had snow, ice, sleet, rain, pretty much every type of shitty weather last winter.

Like I said, as long as you don't drive like an idiot and are always paying attention to what's going on around you (driving defensively) the pirelli's are just fine as an all season tire.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Illini_06SS
I don't know about how you guys drive, but I seriously never had an issue in the snow last winter. I had to drive over 30 miles each way in traffic every day to work and we had snow, ice, sleet, rain, pretty much every type of shitty weather last winter.

Like I said, as long as you don't drive like an idiot and are always paying attention to what's going on around you (driving defensively) the pirelli's are just fine as an all season tire.
we usually get the equivalent to a years worth of snow fall for Illinois, in January alone here.

regardless, I still don't recommend driving an all season in the snow. 98% of all season tires, the compound is a summer rubber compound with a more winterized tread, which means in freezing temperatures your tires will turn to a very hard rubber and not give you proper traction.

Winter tires have a compound specifically designed for freezing temperatures. a winter designated tire has a little snow flake or mountain peak symbol on them. Some "all seasons" are made of a winterized compound and they carry the snowflake / mountain peak symbol.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 PM

we usually get the equivalent to a years worth of snow fall for Illinois, in January alone here.
Why buy tires for Nova Scotia when you'll be driving it in New York? My opinion? Try out the Pirelli's on the first snow fall. If you don't like them, go out and buy yourself some snow tires.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

But what if your stuck or trying to get out of a spot? Are they good enough for those situations?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
But what if your stuck or trying to get out of a spot? Are they good enough for those situations?
I got plowed into my parking spot at the apartment complex I was staying at. The snow was about 10"-12" or so deep right behind my rear bumper. I just kicked down the high spots, gave her some juice and she flew right over the pile.

That said, I've driven my Jeep off-road for 8 years now, so I like to think I know how to drive in/get out of slippery situations. Basically don't spin your tires ever. It only creates Ice under your tires and makes things worst than they already are. Worst comes to worst, throw an old set of floor mats in your trunk and if/when you get stuck, just shove them under your front tires for traction.

Also, if you're stuck-stuck as in your car is in the ditch. No snow tire is going to get your out of that situation without the help of a nice guy in a 4x4 with a tow rope.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM

Why buy tires for Nova Scotia when you'll be driving it in New York? My opinion? Try out the Pirelli's on the first snow fall. If you don't like them, go out and buy yourself some snow tires.
Snow is Snow.. while NY gets less snow than us here in NS, NY still gets more snow than Illinois.

I've said my opinions whether anyone listens or not its their choice.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Snow is Snow.. while NY gets less snow than us here in NS, NY still gets more snow than Illinois.

I've said my opinions whether anyone listens or not its their choice.
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/.../snowfall.html

Actually, not necessarily Chicago: 38.5" per year New York, NY: 22.7-28.4" per year, depending on the place of measure. (for CC08), for the OP, yeah they get more snow.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:51 PM

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/.../snowfall.html

Actually, not necessarily Chicago: 38.5" per year New York, NY: 22.7-28.4" per year, depending on the place of measure. (for CC08), for the OP, yeah they get more snow.
I always thought NY got a lot more snow than Illinois. my bad.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 PM

The western part of the state (near Buffalo) gets pounded. Look at the numbers... they get like 90" per year. The eastern part of the state is more temperate thanks to the ocean.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned

Upstate ny gets a hellla lot of snow. We usually get no more than 2 inches here (I THINK it's 2 inches I forget don't hold me to it) unless it's a blizzard. I was told in the snow drive in second gear and don't give it any gas to get it going just get it started by being slow on the clutch until and no gas at all until it gets going. Is this true?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:18 PM

I had to drive 4 hours during a snow storm, all highway. If I ever moved out of tracks that were already on the road from other cars, I slid. Pirellis are terrible, I hated those tires. Now with my Coopers, I dont spin nearly as much.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM

This is making me think twice about getting these
Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thekingsSS
I had to drive 4 hours during a snow storm, all highway. If I ever moved out of tracks that were already on the road from other cars, I slid. Pirellis are terrible, I hated those tires. Now with my Coopers, I dont spin nearly as much.
You got a good point my taurus is pretty good on snow with coopers but not THAT great. I still had some slidage but I can't compare them to pirelli, so I wouldn't know which is better so I'll just take your word for it.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I would honestly say not to get the Pirellis. I really hated those tires, a lot. I would give it a tiny amount of gas from a stop on wet roads and spin tires. I hate burn outs, hate them. And all I could do on a wet road with the Pirellis was burn out. Snow was worse, I could barely get the car going. I love my Cooper tires though, they stick really well. Not nearly as much spinning.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

I would honestly say not to get the Pirellis. I really hated those tires, a lot. I would give it a tiny amount of gas from a stop on wet roads and spin tires. I hate burn outs, hate them. And all I could do on a wet road with the Pirellis was burn out. Snow was worse, I could barely get the car going. I love my Cooper tires though, they stick really well. Not nearly as much spinning.
I had that problem when I was a noob to manual and it was raining out But for my taurus whatever front tires I had on then before cooper I was able to do sick peel outs without wet road and when I got the coopers I couldn't do it anymore So I guess they got pretty good grip. I even felt like they stuck to the ground more around sharp turns
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

What everyone needs to remember is that a speed limit sign is what that road is designed to handle in PERFECT weather conditions. If you're on the highway and there's 6 inches of snow on the ground, you shouldn't be going faster than 35 mph.

I don't know if I just got a sticky set of pirellis or you all drive like Mario Andretti, but the only time I spin my tires is if I'm TRYING to spin my tires. Drive to your weather conditions and the ability of your car. Remember that if you're spinning your tires, you are out of control of your vehicle and could very easily cause a wreck.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

or you all drive like Mario Andretti,.

I was driving on the highway about 2 months ago in a REALLY bad downpour and it was very hard to see so I was doing 10 under the speed limit and I had ******** tail gating me and blowing their horns at me arrogantly passing me and speeding off I was like R U EFFIN KIDDIN ME?! staten island/nj drivers= the worst. people are just unbelievable especially in weather like that.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM

What everyone needs to remember is that a speed limit sign is what that road is designed to handle in PERFECT weather conditions. If you're on the highway and there's 6 inches of snow on the ground, you shouldn't be going faster than 35 mph.

I don't know if I just got a sticky set of pirellis or you all drive like Mario Andretti, but the only time I spin my tires is if I'm TRYING to spin my tires. Drive to your weather conditions and the ability of your car. Remember that if you're spinning your tires, you are out of control of your vehicle and could very easily cause a wreck.
I have to agree. I drove my SC in snow with the stock tires, and although I drove probably 20mph the whole way home from work, I have to admit I never drove outside of the car's limits in those weather conditions. I did, however, see fucktards flying past me and sliding all over the place. People in ditches, accidents everywhere, etc. The first snowfall is the worst. And what really gets me is the fuckbags in big 4x4 gay ass shitfucking trucks who think they can go 1000000 miles an hour and stop on a dime. Even worse is the hillbillyredneckcocksucks who tailgate me when it's a ******* WHITEOUT BLIZZARD.

I'm going with the pirellis. I drove my Z24 in the snow for a year with General Exclaim UHP's... and the SC with the factory tires for a year. I don't think it can really get much worse than that.

Quick Reply: SS N/A: Stock tires in snow