Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Spacers

Ok I have an 05 SS S/C and I wanna get 20mm spacers in front and 30-35mm in back. Is it possible. Let me know. I am not very strong on the topic I do know a little bit though.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll let people more knowledgeable than me specify, but I know running spacers that big is incredibly dangerous and likely to break things.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 PM

like what? if i did 20's all around what wuld that hurt?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's putting lots of extra stress on your hubs. buy wider wheels if you want a wider look. but don't go wider on the back, that should only be done on rwd cars.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM

why should that only be done on RWD haha ur not making a point...so far you said moving my wheels out 22mm is putting to much stress? that is less than inch if anything it is evening out the weight...your not making any points here...
Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

give it a try.. universal wheel spacers are only 5-7 bucks a wheel.

I fit 16mm spacers around the car when i ran 245/40/18s tires on a 8" rim. offset came out to +26mm

I don't think going any bigger than a 20mm spacer will make your car very daily drivable if lowered. It will look cool though. The v-dub guys will like you haha
Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05slowbaltss
why should that only be done on RWD haha ur not making a point...so far you said moving my wheels out 22mm is putting to much stress? that is less than inch if anything it is evening out the weight...your not making any points here...
sigh.... ok, let me break it down. simple physics. your car is designed to hold your wheel a certain way. by moving out your wheels, you're putting more force on your hubs. Why? because there's less weight distribution, and the center of balance is moved out more than it's supposed to be. Not simple enough? hold your arm straight out in front of you. Start pushing down around you shoulder, and try to push your arm down. It's not that easy. now start moving your hand further from your shoulder, and start pushing down. Gets much easier. Now imagine your shoulder is the hub, and your arm is the bolts. Further out you go on the bolts, more pressure applied, which = more chance of failure. It may be fine, it may not. IMO a wheel flying off on the highway is certainly not worth the risk when the look you're aiming for can easily be accomplished with wider wheels.

as far as the "wider" in the back, the reason it's done on rwd cars (or fwd ricers) is for more traction. Wider tire on the drive wheels is better traction. On a fwd car, done properly, your FRONT wheels would be wider. Wider or more spaced out rear wheels on a fwd car is pretty much the definition of rice. but it's your car, so go for whatever you like.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM

your missing the main point i made that an .75 of an inch...is not putting that much more stress .....you put it on a much more specific scale...the arm and the hand...20's around i believe id see no problems
Old 09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

i'm not missing the point at all, you are. You asked a question, I answered it, and even broke it down to be easy to understand. I used an extreme example to make it very simple. Same thign applies to your wheel but on a much smaller scale. You can't look at simply .75 of an inch when you're talking about supporting thousands of pounds, and spinning at very high speeds in the process.

It's not the answer you wanted to hear, so you're giving me **** about it. You said you're not strong on the topic, I answer and you're trying to tell me i'm wrong. So here's the answer you want to hear.

It will be fine, you will have no problems. Go for it!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM

do you have spacers? no...you have no experience i dont care about your answer. you bringing in your expertise of physics doesent impress me or make me believe you lol...the kid that says he has 16's and no problems I believe him.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 PM

your missing the main point i made that an .75 of an inch...is not putting that much more stress .....you put it on a much more specific scale...the arm and the hand...20's around i believe id see no problems
In terms of mechanics, suspension hard points, pretty much anything automobile related .75" is a bigger term than you understand. there is a reason the spacers you refer to are measured in mm, millimeters are a big deal in this context. The example was quite appropriate to the topic.

I don't think it will do any significant or immediate damage, but I don't know your driving style or what kinda roads you drive on. So make no mistake spacing your wheels all out 20mm will indeed put a significantly higher amount of stress on your hubs/lugs.

There is a reason that this "flush" look is done through proper offset wheels instead of the easy way. VW and other flushfreaks look down on using spacers to get the look
Old 09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Doc

get longer studs and you'll be ok
Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

do you have spacers? no...you have no experience i dont care about your answer. you bringing in your expertise of physics doesent impress me or make me believe you lol...the kid that says he has 16's and no problems I believe him.
not that I need to justify myself, but i'm not a little kid, and probably have more wrench time than the majority of members here. You don't like the answer? that's on you. But don't tell me it doesn't make sense when your first post says you don't know what you're doing with the topic. if you read my entire post, I said "It may be fine, and it may not. but not worth the risk". the rest is up to you.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM

doesent mean i cant tell when your trying to be smart lol...i want someone with experience not what might or might not happen...and yeah they come with longer studs man
Old 09-25-2009, 02:59 PM

doesent mean i cant tell when your trying to be smart lol...i want someone with experience not what might or might not happen...and yeah they come with longer studs man
You don't need experience when very simple physics come into play. If you asked me "what would happen if I shot myself in the foot?" and I replied "you'd be injured, you moron", would you tell me "well you've never done it so your opinion means nothing hur hur!"

D4u2s0t is right. Running spacers puts more stress on the hub. Will your wheel certainly fall off if you run 20mm? No, obviously not. The risk, however, is greatly increased. I was warned by a wheel and tire shop to never go bigger than 3mm. I run 3mm spacers on the front in the winter time so my 17" alloys will clear my Brembos, and even that makes me leery. I avoid driving the car hard to minimize stress on the hubs and other components.

Once again, just because you don't like an answer doesn't make it wrong.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:10 PM

again...i do not want anyone who will say what might happen or what could happen...with anything aftermarket you do to a car there is risks....everyone in here knows that...i want some that can say yo i tried it and it didnt work or nah ive never had any problems...
Old 09-25-2009, 03:18 PM

again...i do not want anyone who will say what might happen or what could happen...with anything aftermarket you do to a car there is risks....everyone in here knows that...i want some that can say yo i tried it and it didnt work or nah ive never had any problems...
You're not understanding. It's doubtful that anyone is going to run in here saying "it doesn't work, my wheel came off on the highway!", mostly because few are dumb enough to try it against the good advice of others.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

dude, you don't always have to do something to know whether or not it will work. just put them on and see what happens. you're obviously not going to listen to anyone. most people will not put on a 20mm spacer, so you will be hard pressed to find someone that has done it to get your "real answer". the reason, however, why most people won't do it, is because it's stupid and not a good idea.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:20 PM

how can you say its good advice haha just cause he used an example...again stop talking i do not care what you have to say...do something to your stock car.

wait...its stupid let me gues.....becasue you have never done it...your an idiot haha

Last edited by 05slowbaltss; 09-25-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

how can you say its good advice haha just cause he used an example...again stop talking i do not care what you have to say...do something to your stock car.

wait...its stupid let me gues.....becasue you have never done it...your an idiot haha
u plan on going to the new jersey meets?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 PM

It's simple physics that spacers put more stress on the car. There's no arguing against that.

The longer distance increases mechanical advantage which multiples the force applied at the fulcrum point.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM

Yeah D4 is an idiot. You've got lots to learn kiddo.

To the OP. Dood just put your weelz on backwerds!

Last edited by JohnnySasakiMGS; 09-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 PM

if you want an expert opinion, go ask an expert.

you can't get people on forums to agree on what oil to use much less agree on something like this.

now you're name-calling??? wtf, quityerbitchin.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:29 PM

I wasnt calling D4 an idiot. I said... well typed that with sarcasm. Eh I fixed it.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

fact is ive known people to run spacers and lose a wheel and people who have been fine. As said its really depends on what risk you are willing to take. Winter wheels i would say maybe because your likely not driving hard but i would not install on summer wheels just from what ive seen. Talk to any person that has been doing this for a long time and they will tell you the same. Think of spacers as a band-aid fix to an issue for cheap.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers