08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

zzp pcm question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zzp pcm question

hey guys i was jus wondering what is the difference between the ZZP pcm and the GMS1 kit...do they work together or if you had both the power numbers would be the same and warrenty isnt an issue either

thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GMS1, or the Turbo Upgrade Package, as Chevy calls it, is sold by GM as an upgrade for your Cobalt, so you can keep your warranty if it is installed by a certified dealer. The kit comes with two 3 bar MAP sensors to replace your 2.5 bar sensors currently in your car, and a set of pigtails for installation of the 3 bar MAPs. The installation of the MAP sensors and wiring will cost you anywhere from 1 to 3 hrs of labor at a dealer. The kit also comes with a "tune." It is basically a reflash of your ECM by your dealer. It is a tune that enables your car to run up to 21 psi of boost, or so. It is a fairly conservative tune but you get to keep your warranty. All said and done, it's about $800. That's pretty steep.

I don't know much about the ZZP ECM, but it's going to be an ECM with a tune installed by ZZP. They will, I assume, send you the ECM and expect you to send them yours or pay a core charge. I'm not sure if the tune is specifically set up for you car, or if it's a "canned" tune like the GMS1, meaning it's set up for one configuration. For GMS1, that configuration is a completely stock automobile. ZZP makes great parts, but I haven't heard anything great about their ECM. I don't really know of anyone that has used it. More members on here have used the other handheld tuner thing that I can't remember the name of. Anyway, with the ZZP ECM, your warranty will be completely trashed.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Our tune starts out as a base file that we have developed, but we regularly make changes based on specific requests by the customer. We can adjust things like lower or higher torque based on what clutch the customer is running, or more or less boost in 1st and 2nd gear based on the tires and gear ratio. We have E85 tunes as well. Yes, there are a lot of tuning options out there, but unless you are specifically dyno tuned or track tuned somewhere else, I don't think any other canned tune will perform as well as ours. I say this based on the amount of time and money we have spent on equipment and testing to develop our files in the first place. It is also based on the simple fact that we tune the fastest LNF Cobalts that there are anywhere. It's not to say that others can't make an LNF Cobalt fast, but at the current time all of the fastest ones are running ZZP tunes. For a reference, we also tuned an SCCA race Cobalt who went on to win his first national championship this past fall. Fandozzi Scores First SCCA National Championship After Thrilling Touring 3 Finish | GoRacingTV | Racing Videos and Racing News!

FWIW, we we make changes at the customer's request after the fact as well. We can do this by email if you have access to HP Tuners, or we can reflash the ecm if you send it back in.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry- I forgot to add... We offer our tunes with GMS1 sensors or for the stock MAP sensors as well.