Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

How do i adjust my shifter cables? No reverse!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do i adjust my shifter cables? No reverse!!!!

Ok, so my car has 110k miles on it. My clutch was starting to slip so I decieded to change it. I also decided to have the trans gone through. Good thing, in needed synchro's, shift forks and one gear set and bearings. Any way when everything was re assembled, the car would not go into reverse. It will go into 1-5 just fine, but not reverse. My Dad thought that the cables might be stretched, so I bought new shifter cables and installed them, but still no reverse. Is there a special way to adjust these cables? I have tried a couple of different ways, but I am getting frustrated, there has to be some kind of trick. Oh ya this is for an 06 cobalt SS/SC.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Take out your cup holder and you need to adjust the left cable
Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by HB_SS/TC
Take out your cup holder and you need to adjust the left cable
I know that much. But what is the procedure? Do i put it in first and then adjust, 2nd 3rd, etc. There is a specific procedure to do this and I need to know what it is.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Anybody?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor

Here is what you will need to do, if the problem is indeed that the cable is not properly adjusted:

Pop the shift boot out of it's surrounding and fold it inside out over the shift knob.

Remove the cup holder, you can do so simply by pulling on it.

Now you will see both shifter cables, you will need to adjust the one on the left side.

Insert a flat head screwdriver in the retainer of the cable and slightly pry it open. Refer to step #13 of the following installation manual to see how to do it. The manual is pictured for the right cable, procedure is the same for the left one:

http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...all-manual.pdf

Now that the cable is free, you can move the shifter left or right. In your case since you can't put it in reverse, so move the shifter to the right until the shifter engage in reverse. Once it's correctly adjusted, clip the cable retainer back in locked position.

Re-install everything, and treat yourself by ordering a TWM short shifter!

Hopefully your issue is only the cable that is not properly adjusted.

I hope this help!

Frank
Team TWM Performance
Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by TWM Performance
Here is what you will need to do, if the problem is indeed that the cable is not properly adjusted:

Pop the shift boot out of it's surrounding and fold it inside out over the shift knob.

Remove the cup holder, you can do so simply by pulling on it.

Now you will see both shifter cables, you will need to adjust the one on the left side.

Insert a flat head screwdriver in the retainer of the cable and slightly pry it open. Refer to step #13 of the following installation manual to see how to do it. The manual is pictured for the right cable, procedure is the same for the left one:

http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...all-manual.pdf

Now that the cable is free, you can move the shifter left or right. In your case since you can't put it in reverse, so move the shifter to the right until the shifter engage in reverse. Once it's correctly adjusted, clip the cable retainer back in locked position.

Re-install everything, and treat yourself by ordering a TWM short shifter!

Hopefully your issue is only the cable that is not properly adjusted.

I hope this help!

Frank
Team TWM Performance

Thanks for the help, but I have tried that already. If you undo the clip and then move the shifter all the way to the right and then redo the clip, the shifter will be way off. Yes it will then go into reverse but not in any of the other gears. I tried slightly moving the shifter around while adjusting the cables and it just seems to be a hair off. Do you think that there could be something else wrong? Everything worked just fine before I sent it to the trans guy, then when I get it back... problems. I tell my dad that I think the trans guy messed up the trans and he keeps saying that there is no way to mess it up. That you couldnt possibly put anything in wrong or backwards. I don't agree, I think is messed up. I may have to end up taking it to a ******* dealership!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 AM

Put shifter in 5th gear, then unclip left cable and line shifter up to reverse lock out. Clip retainer back in. Check reverse and other gears and fine tune if necessary.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sauceamomo
Put shifter in 5th gear, then unclip left cable and line shifter up to reverse lock out. Clip retainer back in. Check reverse and other gears and fine tune if necessary.
When you say line the shifter up to the reverse lockout, do you mean to actually put it in reverse or just push it to the right until it hits the lock?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM

I left mine in neutral and adjusted the shifter a little to the right everytime until I got into every gear smoothly
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Push to right...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You sure the reverse lock out is lining up? I think I'd go straight to the trans and try getting it into reverse manually. What makes you so sure the problem isn't in the transmission?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
You sure the reverse lock out is lining up? I think I'd go straight to the trans and try getting it into reverse manually. What makes you so sure the problem isn't in the transmission?

I do think its in the trans. I had a hard time manually getting it into reverse. My dad said that he had no problem doing it. I'm not sure what in the trans would make it do this? My dad insists that it is in the shifter cables.

Originally Posted by sscrazy
When you say line the shifter up to the reverse lockout, do you mean to actually put it in reverse or just push it to the right until it hits the lock?
I tried this several times. It doesnt work right. instead of being in reverse, it is in fourth! Looks like a trip to the dealership is in my future!!!!

Last edited by sscrazy; 05-05-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:

I tried this several times. It doesnt work right. instead of being in reverse, it is in fourth! Looks like a trip to the dealership is in my future!!!!

In that case I would say it IS a problem with the shifter cables. Do all the other gates (gears) go in easy, as in straight line 1-2 and 3-4? Have the engine running when you try. I'm
not sure which cable is which but one cable moves the shifter mechanism LEFT to RIGHT. The other cable moves it FORWARD to BACK. You want to adjust the cable that moves the cable that goes LEFT to RIGHT. The adjustment is very touchy with one click making a whole lot of difference in the pattern. Move it ONE click at a time and try it after each movement. It took me a 1/2 hour to get it right when I installed my Short Throw shifter, But it is PERFECT now. Take your time. You CAN do it.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
Quote:

In that case I would say it IS a problem with the shifter cables. Do all the other gates (gears) go in easy, as in straight line 1-2 and 3-4? Have the engine running when you try. I'm
not sure which cable is which but one cable moves the shifter mechanism LEFT to RIGHT. The other cable moves it FORWARD to BACK. You want to adjust the cable that moves the cable that goes LEFT to RIGHT. The adjustment is very touchy with one click making a whole lot of difference in the pattern. Move it ONE click at a time and try it after each movement. It took me a 1/2 hour to get it right when I installed my Short Throw shifter, But it is PERFECT now. Take your time. You CAN do it.
Thanks, I will give it another try. Honestly I think I have had it in every position possible already.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 AM

Well, I tried it again (45 min.) Did not help. Taking it to a dealership to get ass raped!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't see how people have this problem.. I see these threads all the time. I just installed my TWM short throw and clipped the **** on the cables and that was it, no problems, and this was well over a year ago.. What are you guys talking about, adjusting and pushing to the right and ****?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:19 PM

You have a 2.2 and likely no reverse lockout mechanism. You have to adjust the cables to so the lock out can go over the tab because the orientation of the pivot point changes the angles where the gears engage.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor

The cables needs to be adjusted mostly in the SS/TC or the HHR SS.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauceamomo
You have a 2.2 and likely no reverse lockout mechanism. You have to adjust the cables to so the lock out can go over the tab because the orientation of the pivot point changes the angles where the gears engage.
OHHH.. Must be an SS thing..

I've seen people with the ss/sc with the problem also.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easier way to release the cables:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-release-shifter-cable-latches-210178/

If you can't catch reverse, the shifter is probably too far back. Move it forward and to the left a little.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM

would this be the cause of my problem. I just recently replaced the trans due to a grenade (looked like one) and replaced the clutch and shifter cables due to breaking them on trans install. NOW when i get over 4k rpms it has a problem goin into gear. Its like it hits a wall, comes out of gear fine and then into the next gear it stops til it goes below 4k rpm and then goes in. Under normal driving, i have no problems. any idea.

yes i did bleed the clutch, all the air is out of the line. and ive ajusted the cables but nothing seems to work.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor

How are 5th gear and reverse engagement?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 AM

5th and reverse are fine. I think that the clutch disk just isnt broken in all the way which it not allowing the throw out bearing to fully release. IF i rev it out with my foot on the gas at a stop in 1st gear it moves slightly
Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

it wasnt wanting to go into 2nd 4th and reverse and now i cant find anything. help please
Old 06-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Dealing with this right now.
Found out one of my shifter cables snapped.

Quick Reply: How do i adjust my shifter cables? No reverse!!!!