Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

How do i adjust my shifter cables? No reverse!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn cobalts lol. im taking it to the dealer tomorrow
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM

These cars are such a mess in the transmission department. Why they couldn't of figured out a way to avoid cables and go with metal rods is beyond me.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
check paintballer's thread i posted pictures, there is a process for adjusting the shifter with the oem lock mechanism which is designed for that and has a spring loaded mechanism to place the lever in the right position with the cable clamps released and the transmission in neutral. Then all you do is lock the cable clamps and release the adjust block back up in place.

The TWM lever does not have the machined part for this. Stock its really easy. 5 minutes or less to adjust perfectly most every time.

I figure if the cables are getting broken, driver mod is needed....
Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
check paintballer's thread i posted pictures, there is a process for adjusting the shifter with the oem lock mechanism which is designed for that and has a spring loaded mechanism to place the lever in the right position with the cable clamps released and the transmission in neutral. Then all you do is lock the cable clamps and release the adjust block back up in place.

The TWM lever does not have the machined part for this. Stock its really easy. 5 minutes or less to adjust perfectly most every time.

I figure if the cables are getting broken, driver mod is needed....
Can I get a link to that post? I did a search and didnt find anything.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 5CardCobalt
Can I get a link to that post? I did a search and didnt find anything.
check paintballers thread. I will email it to later I gotta go out right now
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Former Vendor

okay here goes I cant find it either. Park car set hand brake and put the shifter in neutral.
#1. remove the shift boot.
#2. undo the cable clamps.
#3. squeeze the shift column tabs to release the adjust mechanism down. Its spring loaded.
#4 set the adjust block slot in the raised tab at the rear of the shift housing.
#5 lock the cable clamps
#6 lift and latch the adjust mechanism into the park position with the tabs engaged.
#7 replace shift boot.
#8 u r dun, if it hasnt fixed the shift issue?/ its something else.

sad to say.

this shows squeezing the tab to release the block, while lifting up on the rev lock out. I use some ring pliers these days this is a pita job to squeeze the tabs which also have to drop, pull up on the reverse lock out that gives the space for the tabs to go in. If you dont you will wreck the tabs.

Name:  DSCN6457.jpg
Views: 4740
Size:  92.1 KB
this photo shows the tabs more clearly, now released and dropping into position

Name:  DSCN6456.jpg
Views: 4525
Size:  82.2 KB

finally this is the adjust block slot sitting in the adjuster location tab. At this point you lock the cables and be happy; after the clamps are locked, lift the block back up while lifting on the rev lockout and let the tabs lock with the spring compressed.

Name:  DSCN6455.jpg
Views: 4511
Size:  97.4 KB

finally this is an unlocked cable clamp. I find it reasonable to press down on the clamp and use a small pick to release the lock tab at the bottom. If you screw with it, and force it , it will break.

If you use TWM or Billet Pro shop cable clamps you may find the Billet ones easier to lock. The TWM are a pita to get screwed down on the rearmost allen bolt.

Name:  DSCN6458.jpg
Views: 4666
Size:  90.2 KB

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Thanks man. This totally worked. The return to center is still a tad tight but I located a smal bend in the cable that I figure account for this. 5th and reverse are now working fine without it being a work out to get them in there. Thanks again this method was Fast and worked like a dream.