Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Changing Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Slave Cylinder

I haven't really had to mess with the slave cylinder on my 06 so im basically just wondering how hard it is to change the slave cylinder and how to do it on the cobalt? im going to be helping a friend change his this weekend.

any help is much appreciated
Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
drop cradle remove transmission replace slave cylinder. You should get a new clutch pipe as well.
2 litres of trans oil. its a TOTAL PITA job no doubt. 4 hours if u know what you are doing.

tips:
do it on a hoist
support motor
tie up rad assembly to rad tie bar.
remove inner plastic shields both sides
remove fuse box complete with bracket set ecu off to one side
remove rear engine mount
then remove rack bolts.
remove lower control arm leading cab bolts
remove clutch pipe from distribution block on trans.
remove pass side axle and im shaft complete
axle driver side
drop cradle
support trans on tranny jack, undo bolts remove trans etc.

careful with the torx bolts on the slave.
etc
replace. haha 4 hours ifyou are very good, 3 if you are excellent, two days if tis ur driveway on jackstands.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Could the slave cylinder leaking cause clutch to not disengage
Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Yep
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM

What's the chance of it leaking when it's month old?
Old 02-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
most of the issues with either the q-d block leaking or hydraulic clutch release systems are:
#1 two seals. Check if there is the old seal stuck in the q.d block when you install new clutch pipe (which comes with a new seal) install the seal right side up.
#2. not installed right, need to press down hard enough on the block, to permit the hair pin clip to seat correctly; if in doubt, order a new q-d block as well as a clutch pipe/ The feed hose can also corrode pretty badly where it delivers fluid to the q-d block from the master cylinder reservoir.
#3 not installed right, putting hair pin clip in wrong
#4. faulty new slave cylinder; never happened to me, but I hear of it anecdotally
#5 faulty clutch and flywheel assembly; never happened to me, but I hear of it anecdotally. I use Exedy or GM parts exclusively.

hope this helps
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 AM

Dropped the transmission, full of brake fluid so I'm assuming its the slave cylinder. Less than yr old hoping ced will warranty it and give me new TOB/slave clutch and clutch pipe. Any one ever have this problem and did they warranty it?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by timhebert
Could the slave cylinder leaking cause clutch to not disengage
im wondering if im having the same thing going out. slave cylinder and throw out bearing are one in the same, are they not? during a pull my clutch will not let me go into 4th gear like theres a wall there keeping me out. after the pull the clutch will engage about about an inch off the floor, but if i pump it a couple times it goes back to normal. just bled the clutch so no air in the line. my clutch is also slipping really bad to the point i cant pass someone on the highway any more in 5th. i have the gm upgraded clutch too. could bad slave be causing clutch slip? im about to buy a spec stage 3 clutch and put that in for a future build also aluminum spec flywheel that comes with it buying used from a guy for about 450 with 7k miles on it. sound like a fair price? guess ill need to buy a throw out bearing and if the slave is separate that too along with that pipe and alignment tool. zzp isnt selling the throw out bearing right now cause installment issues. where else can i go? would it be the same tob at ottp?

that would be fantastic if someone could answer all those questions for me. might save me some money. p.s. ill be the guy with the jack stands in the driveway lol
Old 06-08-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im having a similar issue to Shasam1721.The clutch works fine for awhile then it seems once it heats up it loses pressure and needs to be pumped up. Im thinking it probably the slave but don't want to drop the trans just yet.