Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

FYI - the HHR head unit doesn not work

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI - the HHR head unit doesn not work

I wanted the HHR CD player because of the I-pod jack and in-dash 6 disc , its XM and onstar ready thru GM lan , and it looks so much better . The face coulda been painted silver to match . Figuring since the HHR is the same chassis as the cobalt , underneath on GM platform sharing cars the wiring is typically the exact same . I bought one , and it doesnt work . The plugs are totally different , its actually even a bit bigger than the Cobalt DD head unit too and wont fit the bezel , though it does slide right into the slot and side mounting rails are the same . Also the stock SS radio has a bow contour to the face , the HHR radio is flat as a board . "IF" fittement wasnt an issue I would crossed the wires to a HHR connector to see if it woulda worked , but given that I didnt bother .

Overall bummer , I didnt and dont want a aftermarket head unit . The I-pod jack and in dash 6 disc would been nice . The 2006 Ions even got this headunit One thing wierd I found , is that its not a Delphi . Fujitsu makes it , first non-delphi head unit Ive ever seen in a GM .
Old 12-20-2005, 12:48 AM

well even if it did fit it wouldnt work due to gm's protection system your radio is linked to your vin number and reads it from the computer every time it turns on but also most likely the reason it not a delphi is becausethey had to declare bankruptcy
Old 12-21-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Clmbngfrk18
well even if it did fit it wouldnt work due to gm's protection system your radio is linked to your vin number and reads it from the computer every time it turns on but also most likely the reason it not a delphi is becausethey had to declare bankruptcy

The radios were in place long before Delphi filed bankruptcy, so I don't think that was a reason why they are not Delphi.

BTW guess who owns a substantial share of Fujitsu? GM. So most GM/Delphi radios are probably built/assembled by Fujitsu and labeled Delphi.