Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake problems

so i just hit 100k the other day and i was driving home and i went to hit the brakes and the pedal went all the way to the floor. i hit them again and i had tension. i didnt hear any noises. the weird thing is that i got home and killed the car. then started it up with the wheels slightly turned and put it in reverse. my car wouldnt move. i had to give it a little gas to even get rolling. after that no problems. i checked my rotors and the driver side toward the outside of the rotor seems like something has been rubbing on it. its a shiny metal instead of the dull metal like my passenger side is. im afraid to move my car because i dont wanna rear end someone if my brakes go out. at first i thought it was the piston sticking but i dont think the pedal would go all the way to floor if that were the case. could it be the master cylinder going out? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks man.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your fluid level, sounds like it got too low and you now have air in the lines.
If it is low, you will need to fill and (this is important) bleed the system.

You should also check the pads and shoes for wear, if you have not done brakes in 100k they are likely done for.

Might be a good time for a complete 4 wheel brake job.......
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the fluid was full and i has replaced the pads and shoes about 25k ago.
but since i work at a mechanics shop, i put it on the lift today and found out that the bolts that hold the wheel bearing to the spindle had come loose. there was only one left. so i replaced the wheel bearing for the second time in 6 months and put new pads on, and of course turned my rotors.

and for the brake pedal issue, i replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes and now i can stop on a dime. lol

and thanks for the help