Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Compare all lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My newly purchased cobalt ss/tc came with a set of H&R springs, and to be honest, its a little rough for me from a daily driver standpoint with our crappy roads here in KC MO. Does anyone have any recommendations for a different spring that will get me closer to stock ride quality with some form of lowering retained? I don't need it to be as low as the H&R's sit but do not want to lift it back up to stock level. Any input is appreciated, especially if there is anyone out there that had the same predicament as me or has swapped from an H&R setup to anything else.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
rising rate YYZ/
Old 08-31-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
rising rate YYZ/
You would sell twice the amount of springs if you would just lower the ride height of your springs by about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Spawne32
You would sell twice the amount of springs if you would just lower the ride height of your springs by about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.
i doubt a 1/4 inch will double sales doncha know? The v2 and seq. at the rear will touch the fender liners as it if you have a load on, and the whole deal is performance and durability not drop. so we changed the config once from v.1 on and I dont see me doing it again to tell the truth. We are always testing ideas even now with Hyperco, I have sent in some springs off my car to review and we are looking at HHR specific rears ( 300 lbs heavier at the rear. So never say never.... but I dont have the magic bullet at the moment to make it lower and maintain handling balance and performance, and life time warranty. We have looked at the silicone spring wire inventory looking for a wire to do more.....................but......
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
i doubt a 1/4 inch will double sales doncha know? The v2 and seq. at the rear will touch the fender liners as it if you have a load on, and the whole deal is performance and durability not drop. so we changed the config once from v.1 on and I dont see me doing it again to tell the truth. We are always testing ideas even now with Hyperco, I have sent in some springs off my car to review and we are looking at HHR specific rears ( 300 lbs heavier at the rear. So never say never.... but I dont have the magic bullet at the moment to make it lower and maintain handling balance and performance, and life time warranty. We have looked at the silicone spring wire inventory looking for a wire to do more.....................but......
Have you changed the YYZ's ride height since the last time I saw them? When I was buying my CM springs the YYZ's were only about a 1/4-1/2 lower from stock anyway.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32
Have you changed the YYZ's ride height since the last time I saw them? When I was buying my CM springs the YYZ's were only about a 1/4-1/2 lower from stock anyway.
The ride height you are thinking of is from the version 1. Version 2 on has been a decent bit lower than v1. I switched from settled sportlines to yyz v.3. Yyzs are approximately 1/4 inch higher in front compared to sportlines, 3/4 inch higher in back.

Having a hard time finding reliable numbers for sportline drop. But my estimated guess compared to stock, front will be 1 - 1 1/4 in lower and rear lowers 5/8 - 3/4 in.

Love these springs, first lowering spring that drives comparably to a stock car, and doesn't bottom out like sportlines do. Replaced with struts and shocks and don't plan on touching suspension again.

People who ride with me are impressed how well it rides for being lowered. Ya more low is sexier, but for a dd and not having to cringe over every bump, yyz is the best option for me. Not to mention its arguably the best performance set up and is the only progressive spring other than the stock rears.
The following users liked this post:
Powell Race Parts (09-28-2015)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:14 PM

This may have already been answered but I can't find it so here is my question...

I am installing a set of Eibach sportlines on an '09 cobalt SS TC. It has brand new OE shocks and struts. (I am also installing the powell racing control arms with the better CABS, & I already have the eibach sway bars installed with powergrid adjustable end links) anmd before anyone ask this car is mostly stage 3 and has adjustable camber bolts.

My real question is should I be running different shocks and struts? and if so which ones should I be running using the sportline lowering springs? The intentions of this car is for both street and track use.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyss10r
This may have already been answered but I can't find it so here is my question...

I am installing a set of Eibach sportlines on an '09 cobalt SS TC. It has brand new OE shocks and struts. (I am also installing the powell racing control arms with the better CABS, & I already have the eibach sway bars installed with powergrid adjustable end links) anmd before anyone ask this car is mostly stage 3 and has adjustable camber bolts.

My real question is should I be running different shocks and struts? and if so which ones should I be running using the sportline lowering springs? The intentions of this car is for both street and track use.
Sportlines honestly aren't going to be your best options for lowering springs if your intention is to track your car, many complain they are too soft. Nevertheless the standard TC FE5 shocks are quite good, but the common go-to upgrade would be Koni Yellow shocks. The stock struts will probably be fine as long as they are in good condition.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:01 PM

progress

Really like the stance of the progress but i cant find any for my cobalt anybody know where i can buy them? thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
doubt they make them anymore, grab SSC springs from zzperformance.com same height decent ride too $200-225 I think.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nobody2u
Sportlines honestly aren't going to be your best options for lowering springs if your intention is to track your car, many complain they are too soft. Nevertheless the standard TC FE5 shocks are quite good, but the common go-to upgrade would be Koni Yellow shocks. The stock struts will probably be fine as long as they are in good condition.
With lowering springs that are too soft, handling is worse and they will kill the struts shocks in a year or so... Ask me how I know. TC struts are great but when you lowering the car over 1" with bouncy springs the rear shocks just have too much travel and it will cause them to leak over time.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:13 AM

Ok thank you got them ordered!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikeyg77
Stock

K Sport

Eibach Sportlines

Eibach Pro Kit

ARK Springs

Progress

B&G

H&R

Pedders

Sprint

Tenzo R
17" msr 043s
205/50/17 pirelli p6s

Zenn

SSC

I apologize if I have missed some. I scavenged Css.net for pictures of all types of springs to finally make a thread that compared them all. Hopefully this will become a sticky cause I think it'll help a bunch
One brand that I didn't see listed would have to be Canuckmotorsports.com
I plan on getting a set sometime in the future to see what they look like, but You definitely did a lot of work in finding all of the ones that are posted already so good job.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by seanthemon
One brand that I didn't see listed would have to be Canuckmotorsports.com
I plan on getting a set sometime in the future to see what they look like, but You definitely did a lot of work in finding all of the ones that are posted already so good job.
I had them... They have very soft spring rates, and cause the car to slam on uneven pavement.

From my experience with them. Keep looking, and researching other springs.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
My cm springs have never done that ^ and I have had them almost 4 years. I've basically went off roading with them multiple times lol
Old 10-24-2015, 02:04 AM

I ended up going with cm springsimage.jpg seem to ride about like stock and is about the cheapest I found
Old 10-24-2015, 02:12 AM

Here is a before picture image.jpg
Old 10-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
My cm springs have never done that ^ and I have had them almost 4 years. I've basically went off roading with them multiple times lol
You don't have crappy roads like we do in PA.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I had them... They have very soft spring rates, and cause the car to slam on uneven pavement.

From my experience with them. Keep looking, and researching other springs.
I loved my CM's! And our roads here in Michigan are quite atrocious. I never had any slamming problems, and ride was great. Drop just wasn't enough haha.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by GBRunner24
I loved my CM's! And our roads here in Michigan are quite atrocious. I never had any slamming problems, and ride was great. Drop just wasn't enough haha.
I Still dunno if or when I'll upgrade my suspension since I'm about to be upgrading to the ZZP Stage 3 kit, but the roads here in WV are bad to where some gravel roads are literally smoother and easier to drive on than blacktop. Other than that, I just think that every car will have it's own way of handling the road, so not every car will be the same. I had a 93 Z24 and the only place that had springs was CM, and definitely cheaper than most other brands out there. I'll probably still consider getting them and if they don't ride the way I like then move on to a different set.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GBRunner24
After going from the super soft spring rates of CM springs to actual performance springs, the CMs don't even compare. I'm very in tune with my car, and I'm not exaggerating when I say they were terrible on uneven pavement. I also, have an upgraded FE5 suspension which handles lowering springs better, and they still slammed. The drop they provided was nice for what I wanted, because they still provided a raked look, but ride & handling was no where near as good as the springs I have now.

Hey, don't get me wrong, they are decent springs for the drop they provide and price you pay, but there are much better options out there.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 10-28-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:54 AM

Need help deciding

If I lower my cobalt ss 1.9 inches all the way around, do you think I would rub or scrape? I'm looking at M2 Springs by the way.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 hhr ss

KYB Excel-G Struts and shocks w/ Tein Springs and ZZP Mounts. 225/45/18 Tires. I was very impressed with the KYB/Tein set up which I must say is equal if not better than my old stock FE5 set up and the drop is nice.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM

i have the CM springs

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple
Canuck motorsports too. I'm thinking peddars? What is the drop from a ss/na?
I have canuck motorsports springs with KYB struts and shocks which are the same as fe5 .

Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jg123boss
I have canuck motorsports springs with KYB struts and shocks which are the same as fe5 .

The KYB's are not the same as the FE5 struts and shocks...

They are closer to the FE3's.

Quick Reply: Compare all lowering springs