08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

2008 Cobalt SS Brembo brakes - Min. 17" Wheels

Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
  #151  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NickD View Post
Borbet LV5:
...
They guaranteed me that they will fit....
Yes, they will fit. I got mine yesterday and they bolted right on. 1/2" of clearance. You are all set. I'll post photos, too this weekend.
Red Guts is offline  
Old 10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
  #152  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-12-09
Location: NJ
Posts: 677
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Guts View Post
Yes, they will fit. I got mine yesterday and they bolted right on. 1/2" of clearance. You are all set. I'll post photos, too this weekend.
That's great to hear! No worries then
NickD is offline  
Old 10-21-2009, 01:57 PM
  #153  
Senior Member
 
Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-22-08
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,603
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm jealous of you guys. Those Borbets are gorgeous.
Force is offline  
Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 PM
  #154  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Borbets fit

Ok. Here's photographic proof of a wheel that fits. No spacers, plenty of clearance. Available through Tire Rack. Let it snow!







Red Guts is offline  
Old 10-24-2009, 10:53 PM
  #155  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-12-09
Location: NJ
Posts: 677
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Guts View Post
Ok. Here's photographic proof of a wheel that fits. No spacers, plenty of clearance. Available through Tire Rack. Let it snow!







I had trouble displaying them so I took the liberty of reposting them:







NickD is offline  
Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 PM
  #156  
Koz
Member
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much are those LV5 wheels? I'm trying to look them up on tirerack, but I can't get them to display for the Cobalt SS. It doesn't want to show 17" wheels.

*edit* looked them up for the '08 Sport. $154 each? Not bad...they look good.
Koz is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 AM
  #157  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
looked them up for the '08 Sport. $154 each? Not bad...they look good.
That's what I paid. $154.
Red Guts is offline  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 PM
  #158  
Koz
Member
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oye...buying the stage kit, and then getting a set of winter wheels and tires (with TPMS sensors) sure dents the wallet.
Koz is offline  
Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 AM
  #159  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-10-08
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 5,668
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of 17" SS/NA rims for sale with the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring systems) and basically brand new tires, included in sale is a set of 3mm spacers

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/carbon-fiber-hood-ss-style-ss-na-17s-ss-tc-guys-look-194613/
Black08SSTC is offline  
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
  #160  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-18-09
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,159
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much do they weight? Any light weight 17" that fit?
Kildore is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 02:52 PM
  #161  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-09
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused or maybe I missed something in the past threads, I know our brakes are huge and all but do any of you just use your factories for winter and get aftermarkets for summer(pending fitment issues)? Why 17's...cheaper?? I think they look good though I'm considering on this issue since snow fall is days away.
pistol_junior23 is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 02:54 PM
  #162  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-10-08
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 5,668
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mine are for sale!!!!!! check my f/s thread!!
Black08SSTC is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:57 PM
  #163  
Koz
Member
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pistol_junior23 View Post
I'm confused or maybe I missed something in the past threads, I know our brakes are huge and all but do any of you just use your factories for winter and get aftermarkets for summer(pending fitment issues)? Why 17's...cheaper?? I think they look good though I'm considering on this issue since snow fall is days away.
The factory tires are downright dangerous to drive in snow. They are not made to handle snow at all. So if you want to drive during the winter in the snowy states, you'll need a good set of all-season tires. Most people prefer going with a snow tire in the winter, because they do a LOT better than all-seasons. When you have a nice car you might as well make sure you don't end up in a ditch right?

Since snow tires wear out really quickly when there's no snow on the ground, it's not a good idea to drive on them all year long. Therefore you either have one set of wheels and are swapping tires twice a year between winter and summer tires (the mounting fees add up), or you have two sets of wheels and have one set of tires mounted on each, so you can just swap wheels. Or...you have one set of wheels with all seasons.

And yes, 17" wheels are cheaper than 18", and 17" tires are cheaper than 18".
Koz is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:31 PM
  #164  
Senior Member
 
Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-22-08
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,603
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
The factory tires are downright dangerous to drive in snow. They are not made to handle snow at all.
I think he meant use the factory wheels shod with winter tires and get aftermarkets for the summer.

Most go 17" because it's way cheaper to find ugly-ass 17s for winter than nice-looking 18s for the summer, particularly with our fitment issues. I'd have loved to get a set of OZ Ultraleggeras or something for the summer and used my factory alloys as winters, but there's nothing wrong with our factory forged wheels.
Force is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 02:42 AM
  #165  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-09
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about the confusion, I did mean the rims. High performance summer tires suck in winter, there a lovely slip and slide, haha. It sucks that we have limited after market rims that fit over the brembos. I was considering the Enkei AKP rims for the summer but not sure if I can trust tireracks recommendations. I've been reading up on offsets and backspacings but still not sure.
pistol_junior23 is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 07:42 AM
  #166  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-11-09
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,384
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow tires are horrible on wet and dry roads. If you go with a performance winter tire, it's a compromise between deep snow handling and dry/wet roads, but it performs better on dry/wet roads than studless snow tires. I used to run studless snow tires in the winter and the tires sucked on dry roads or in the rain.

The best all-purpose tire would be an all-season like the Goodyear TripleTred or Michelin Hydroedge. The only reason to get snow tires is if you drive on snow all the time and never have any dry/wet roads.

Car and Driver just did a test on 4 different tires and confirmed what I already knew. If you like longer braking distances on dry or wet roads, buy snow tires. Out of the 6 months of winter in SE MI, we get maybe 7-10 days max of snow. The rest is just dry and wet/rainy/cold days. And no, snow tires don't really do jack on dry/wet roads even when it is cold. They're soft like Jell-O.
metroplex is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
  #167  
Koz
Member
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pistol_junior23 View Post
Sorry about the confusion, I did mean the rims. High performance summer tires suck in winter, there a lovely slip and slide, haha. It sucks that we have limited after market rims that fit over the brembos. I was considering the Enkei AKP rims for the summer but not sure if I can trust tireracks recommendations. I've been reading up on offsets and backspacings but still not sure.
If TireRack says it'll fit you should be ok. I think they have some sort of policy about that, like if it doesn't fit and they say it should then you can send them back. I'd double check though if you end up going that route.
Koz is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:46 AM
  #168  
Senior Member
 
Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-22-08
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,603
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
Snow tires are horrible on wet and dry roads. If you go with a performance winter tire, it's a compromise between deep snow handling and dry/wet roads, but it performs better on dry/wet roads than studless snow tires. I used to run studless snow tires in the winter and the tires sucked on dry roads or in the rain.

The best all-purpose tire would be an all-season like the Goodyear TripleTred or Michelin Hydroedge. The only reason to get snow tires is if you drive on snow all the time and never have any dry/wet roads.

Car and Driver just did a test on 4 different tires and confirmed what I already knew. If you like longer braking distances on dry or wet roads, buy snow tires. Out of the 6 months of winter in SE MI, we get maybe 7-10 days max of snow. The rest is just dry and wet/rainy/cold days. And no, snow tires don't really do jack on dry/wet roads even when it is cold. They're soft like Jell-O.
I agree and disagree here. Agree because yes, dedicated snow tires SUCK on dry roads... I got reminded of this yesterday when I re-mounted my set.

Thing is, as Car and Driver noted, a very limited set of circumstances can sometimes dictate what tires you need. 95% of the time (especially now that I live in Toronto), I'd be better off on winter high-performance tires than my snow-and-ice Gizlaveds. Problem is, when I go visit my parents in Northern Ontario, I'd never make it down my road or even out of my driveway without the heavy-duty snows. I'd also be at risk during the odd snowstorm when plow crews are way too over-taxed to clear sidestreets for days.

Unfortunately, it's that 5% of the time that makes the full snow tires necessary. I'd rather take extra precautions and use bigger following distances for the 95% of the time than be stranded, stuck, or crashed into a snowbank for the other 5%.
Force is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 AM
  #169  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-11-09
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,384
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started off with snow tires and summer tires about 6 years ago for my other car. I found that the snow tires only last for about 3-4 seasons at most, and that's with my paltry annual mileage. If the snow gets bad enough that I NEED snow tires, I can just stay home. I'd rather do that than spend 99% of my time in the winter with poor handling, crappy braking, and excessive road noise on the highway.

The C&D test just quantified what I already knew, and it was clear to me that the all-season tires were the best compromise. Worst case scenario is that I go with performance winter tires and deal with the logistical nightmare of hauling around an extra 4 set of wheels for every car that I drive in the winter (12+ wheels, nowhere to put them), or even just hauling around 4 extra wheels for 1 daily driver. Been there, done that - give me all-season tires.
metroplex is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
  #170  
Senior Member
 
Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-22-08
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,603
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
I started off with snow tires and summer tires about 6 years ago for my other car. I found that the snow tires only last for about 3-4 seasons at most, and that's with my paltry annual mileage. If the snow gets bad enough that I NEED snow tires, I can just stay home. I'd rather do that than spend 99% of my time in the winter with poor handling, crappy braking, and excessive road noise on the highway.

The C&D test just quantified what I already knew, and it was clear to me that the all-season tires were the best compromise. Worst case scenario is that I go with performance winter tires and deal with the logistical nightmare of hauling around an extra 4 set of wheels for every car that I drive in the winter (12+ wheels, nowhere to put them), or even just hauling around 4 extra wheels for 1 daily driver. Been there, done that - give me all-season tires.
Sounds about right based on your situation.
Force is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 12:46 PM
  #171  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-09
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to get the softer winter tires since we now in the past 2 years have got dumped on with snow, last year we set a new record for the season 109"+. 60" came from the first week of december. I usually don't put on the winter tires till the first snow, but untill my factory tires bald down I will get all weathers for the summer and high performance winter for the snow season. The funny thing right now is almost everyone and there grandmother is driving around with there studs on and we still don't have any snow yet. They are tearing up the freshly repaved freeway!!!

Thats good to hear tirerack stands behind their recomendations, cause I have been saving for Stage 1 and new tires and rims.
pistol_junior23 is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM
  #172  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-11-09
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,384
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been itching to try the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D / M3 since they seem to come highly recommended. I've used studless snow tires in the past and they're way too noisy and soft. The performance winter tires seem to be better.

I've also heard about Discount Tire cutting sipes into tires for $11/tire. I might try that out in the future just to give old snow tires a longer usable lifespan.
metroplex is offline  
Old 11-13-2009, 06:06 PM
  #173  
Koz
Member
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drag DR-34s fit fine and dandy. These are 17x7.5" wheels, and they clear the brake calipers just fine. Look pretty good too. Oh yeah, and they're only $110 each from discount tire!








Last edited by Koz; 11-13-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Koz is offline  
Old 11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
  #174  
Senior Member
 
MaxVQ35DE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-17-08
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks ready for rally duty
MaxVQ35DE is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 04:39 PM
  #175  
Koz
Member
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxVQ35DE View Post
looks ready for rally duty
Ah, so you've experienced our Michigan winters I see
Koz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS Brembo brakes - Min. 17" Wheels


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.