08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Aluminium Block

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think they realize that pretty much every modern day block can usually take 1000+hp.

It's not the PSI or the HP that causes the block to crack or break, it is the weaker pistons/rods/crank that break, sending metal chunks flying at massive speeds. That is what no block can handle. And usually the pistons/rods/crank breaks due to incorrect amounts of fuel in the cylinders. But I'm sure you know that. The most common way a block cracks is having someone set it down too hard when moving it.

2s0t0i6 should have said the stock internals can handle more, not the actual block.

And did you know that the ecotec motor has iron cylinder sleeves?

Edit: ^^^^^^^Beat me to it.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 PM

I guess the only thing that makes any sence here is, if you dont want an aluminum block, dont get a car with one.... (good luck). Everyone has choices to make. if you dont want to buy a car with a certin option, dont.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Black SS
Dude whats your big problem. All you guys need to calm down. You know how many busted ass 4g63s I have around. Yesterday I pulled a rod out of the side of a Galant 4g63. Its never the blocks. Its always some other weak part going through the block. If you want to argue a point, maybe you should focus on pistons. Thats where you problem lies. Both 4g63s and ecotecs have very weak stock pistons. Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that the aluminum block ecotec is dominating the professional world of fwd drag cars.
I beleive the Ecotec pistons are a bit weaker than the 4G63's stock pistons. Of course my take on it may be a little off because Cobalt owners were over spinning their blowers and melting #4's ringlands, but the impression I get from GM and what I read on here is the stock Ecotec pistons aren't good for much more than 300WHP, and 400WHP on stock pistons is a time bomb at best. The 4G63's limit on stock internals, hell even stock turbo is much, much higher than I've seen out of an Ecotec on these boards. Maybe the Sky/Redline guys are having better success, I'll check it out.

As far as the Ecotecs dominating the FWD drag world right now, yes they are. If they weren't something would be bad wrong. Who else besides the Ecotec guys have an unlimited parts bin, R&D and support from the factory? How many privately owned teams are competing VS factory backed teams? I give credit where it's dude, and the Cobalt drag cars are dominating. Now onto the street, how man 10 or 9 second privately owned Cobalts/IRL/G5's are there? Compare that to the number of 9 and 10 second privately owned Evo's and I think you'll see it's decidedly one sided in favor of the Evo.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
I beleive the Ecotec pistons are a bit weaker than the 4G63's stock pistons. Of course my take on it may be a little off because Cobalt owners were over spinning their blowers and melting #4's ringlands, but the impression I get from GM and what I read on here is the stock Ecotec pistons aren't good for much more than 300WHP, and 400WHP on stock pistons is a time bomb at best. The 4G63's limit on stock internals, hell even stock turbo is much, much higher than I've seen out of an Ecotec on these boards. Maybe the Sky/Redline guys are having better success, I'll check it out.

As far as the Ecotecs dominating the FWD drag world right now, yes they are. If they weren't something would be bad wrong. Who else besides the Ecotec guys have an unlimited parts bin, R&D and support from the factory? How many privately owned teams are competing VS factory backed teams? I give credit where it's dude, and the Cobalt drag cars are dominating. Now onto the street, how man 10 or 9 second privately owned Cobalts/IRL/G5's are there? Compare that to the number of 9 and 10 second privately owned Evo's and I think you'll see it's decidedly one sided in favor of the Evo.
Yea because cobalt is 2wd.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
Do some research first before you post about worrying about an aluminum block. If the 1450 hp ecotec (aluminum block/head) can handle 52 psi and 10.8:1 compression, I wouldn't be worried about 22 psi
They cut away the whole top protion of the cylinder and sleave it with Iron sleaves then drill the studs all the way through the engine. So it is slightly modified.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 AM

this thread is funny
Old 11-10-2007, 04:09 PM

The LNF is nothing like the LSJ its just based on the same platform. The LNF is more like the 2.4 then the LSJ, and the thing keeping people from making more then 300whp on the LSJ is the fact that the supercharger makes to much heat, and the pistons cant take it. The people that have switched to a turbo easily make over 300hp. Oh yea Honda blocks are NOT aluminum. Every Honda block up until the K20 and F20(s2000 engine) and engines made after them have been aluminum. Earlier engines have been Cast Iron. B,D,H, and old F series all have Cast iron blocks. Do you think if aluminum block were weak that pretty much every car manufacture would of switched to making their engines out of Aluminum? The B Series aluminum block DART makes for them is rated to 1200hp....So you might want to rethink your theory of Aluminum Blocks Being week.

Last edited by atownSS; 11-10-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the LNF is almost the exact same...all ecotecs only have minor differences....
the differences in LNF vs LSJ is a different head (VVT), and direct injection opposed to LSJ's multi-port FI
Old 11-10-2007, 04:55 PM

You don't have to tell me what the differences between the engines are. The blocks are the same for the most part yes(the lnf has stronger sleeves)...but nothing about the vvt head is like the LSJ head. You cant use anything out of that head on the LSJ. The cams and such are different, and with out several modifications to wiring and such you cant put a VVT head on the LSJ. Also the direct injection and vvt makes a big difference as it is a lot easier to make power when you have a vvt system and direct injection to work with. If you would of just read my post I said (ITS BASED ON THE SAME PLATFORM). Which is pretty much what you just said. I don't know about you but I don't consider an engine the same engine as another when it uses a completely different fuel injection system, and a vvt system.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
x2 on this post

Thank You
another major problem is the tune on the car that is the problem with ricers they think a 1500 dollar turbo kit and they are ready to go, the new cobalt should be fine just like the ss.sc, they have put many hours into testing the thing
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by atownSS
You don't have to tell me what the differences between the engines are. The blocks are the same for the most part yes(the lnf has stronger sleeves)...but nothing about the vvt head is like the LSJ head. You cant use anything out of that head on the LSJ. The cams and such are different, and with out several modifications to wiring and such you cant put a VVT head on the LSJ. Also the direct injection and vvt makes a big difference as it is a lot easier to make power when you have a vvt system and direct injection to work with. If you would of just read my post I said (ITS BASED ON THE SAME PLATFORM). Which is pretty much what you just said. I don't know about you but I don't consider an engine the same engine as another when it uses a completely different fuel injection system, and a vvt system.
i guess were in disagreement then...i would say its the same engine with only a few changes as stated...and its not a completely different fuel system....its the same returnless style fuel rail as in the LSJ...the injector location is the only change in the fuel system 9yes, i know this opens up a lot of new play area, but as far as the blocks go, theyre about the same...i believe all ecotecs have the casting for DI, and they just werent used until the LNF...atleast thats what i read off a wikipedia page...but i spose its very possible its not accurate

anyway, at the end of the day, we just look at the same thing in two different ways
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 PM

Man you guys all forgot that the LNF has much larger water jackets, keeping block deformation to a minimum(not that it was a problem in the LSJ until 800hp). This is another reason the head will not swap over, the water passages are completely different.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 AM

See this is why your wrong on the fuel system. It may share a returnless style fuel rail but thats where it stops its similarities. The LNF has two fuel pumps. One is located in the tank like most cars, but it also has a cam driven fuel pump is driven off the engine, and uses fuel pressures from 750psi to 1270psi. So yes the engine may have a fuel rail that has no return line but thats about where the fuel system similarities stop...I cant say I've read anything about all the blocks being prepped for Direct injection. To my knowledge you cant put a LSJ or any other Ecotec head on a LNF block easily(or at all I have read a few different answers for this), but Im going off what I have read/heard. I know that the LNF block deff has re-enforced piston walls. I haven't been able to find anything on the enlarged cooling passages like Archie says, but that could be another reason to add to the list that the LNF head isn't swappable.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 PM

hmm...didnt know the fuel pressure runs at different PSIs. Good to know
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM

aluminum resists corrosion better, is lighter, conducts heat quicker, and has a better strength-to-weight ratio than iron, just to name a few reasons. Plus + its shiny!