08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Brakes Scary when WET !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
Because it's really not.

@Spawne32 we're talking about water being trapped between the larger surface to read the thread before commenting.
I did read the thread, i was actually considering buying the ZZP big brake kit last month and now im terrified i wont be able to stop in the rain, ill just keep the stockers.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Noticed it again yesterday after washing my car.

It's pretty simple. If you're not slowing down you need to apply more brake pressure or you're on ice.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wouldn't be worried about the ZZP kit, I'd personally just go the stock SS/TC setup though.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Spawne32
Go on...im curious as to how more surface area makes it harder to stop.
Read post 9
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did read the thread, i was actually considering buying the ZZP big brake kit last month and now im terrified i wont be able to stop in the rain, ill just keep the stockers.
This seriously isn't a cause for concern. You might have to hit the brakes a little harder than you do in dry conditions, and then they work just fine.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitnith
This seriously isn't a cause for concern. You might have to hit the brakes a little harder than you do in dry conditions, and then they work just fine.
Exactly, they just take a little getting used to. They stop like base model brakes when wet, everyone just gets used to the stopping power of the Brembos
Old 11-03-2014, 03:24 PM

Wjy are people making such a big deal about this? It's wet out.. obviously that impacts braking. Don't be racing in the rain and you'll be ok. Do you expect the brakes to work perfectly in the rain like when dry? Lol
Old 11-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I might put Brembo's on my IRL, I have an extra set...
Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
slotted rotors and pad material affect it. Slotted about eliminates it in the rain. Softer compound in winter is far superior. I run a cheep Bendix Metalmaster on my Brembos in the winter on a heavier car and they are awesome.

you get nothing for nothing and a Ferodo HP1000 performance pad is not designed or intended to be used in extreme winter conditions. Racing in the rain if it wasnt a variable rain day, we would always run softer pads, block brake ducts, change or disconnect sway bars, even run softer rate springs and different compound tires. Even hand grooved A6 auto cross tires for intermediate conditions.

For your Brembo cobalt, change the pad for the winter; slot the rotors for the summer
Old 11-04-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I just adjust my method of braking when it's wet. Quick stab down and then let up to normal braking when the pads start biting.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:43 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
That method of breaking is the way to go in wet.

I don't think anywone is making a big deal but it something to take note of.

They are not like base model brakes in the rain. Once dry they are far better but under that imediate brake pressure it is like having no breaks at all.

Tap release and then press works well and also in heavy rain conditions feathering the break pedal while driving keeps the rotors warm and skims water off them.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
That method of breaking is the way to go in wet.

I don't think anywone is making a big deal but it something to take note of.

They are not like base model brakes in the rain. Once dry they are far better but under that imediate brake pressure it is like having no breaks at all.

Tap release and then press works well and also in heavy rain conditions feathering the break pedal while driving keeps the rotors warm and skims water off them.
I have yet to have the no brakes at all feeling and i'm running stock rotors and pads. Its a delayed requires more pressure brake or a quick release and re-press. Thats why I say they're like base model if you don't do the re-press, the initial stopping power is less requiring more pedal.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by swanman35
Wjy are people making such a big deal about this? It's wet out.. obviously that impacts braking. Don't be racing in the rain and you'll be ok. Do you expect the brakes to work perfectly in the rain like when dry? Lol
Go ahead and try to explain to my wife why my fancy Brembo brakes don't work as well as her Civic brakes in the rain. I dare you.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 PM

My morning commute was probably the worst it could of been for brakes.

Right around freezing with moderate rain, snow and freezing rain.

You can tell instantly that you just need to apply a little more pressure until brakes clear themselves.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:40 PM

My guess is that all the people who have very noticeable drop off in brake bite when wet with stock pads and rotors also have e-brakes not holding worth a damn and stuck rear calipers... that we've all had at one point with these cars. After I rebuilt my factory rear calipers I never had an e-brake or wet braking problem but before I did wet braking was sub par and distances wet or dry unacceptably long... with all the recalls I am annoyed GM still hasn't recalled out cars for the rear calipers. Not everyone has the patience to rebuild and rehone these thigns and they were by far the most difficult calipers I have ever torn apart.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor

^^^ there is no doubt that rear brake height adjustment affects overal brake pedal apply height. So good advice. Rebuilding the rear calipers on TC doesn't work for me the rear handbrake mechanism is not rebuildable its impossible to reassemble the lower circular spring into the e brake Center post . I just replace the caliper theses days. Unless you live below Kentucky and west of the Rockies the corrosion damage is too much. I see it everyday.

For example on Gloria's new (to her ) 2007 Avalanche ( low miles) the front caliper bleed nipples were corroded and broke off while bleeding in spite of penetrating oil and heat. So I purchased used calipers from a Texas boneyard off eBay and they were like brand new no corrosion at all. 50 bucks.

I hate road salt. That's why my redline sleeps every winter. Poor wintrbtr2 SAAB gets oiled and washed 2x a week in winter. But now it's exhaust system is rotted out FROM THE OUTSIDE !!! FML. Lol

That's why CAB bolts on Cobalts up here are such a pita. But for sure slotted rotors help initial brake apply in the rain.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:35 PM

Brakes have been a point of nuisance for me on this car. When I bought the car last year the brakes were GONE, to the point where when I drove it home from the dealer I almost crashed it trying to stop coming off a ramp. All 4 pads were worn down to the metal and the rotors had a nice lip in them. When I replaced all the brake pads and rotors the next day, I had two brackets that were completely seized on the slide pins. A few months later the ebrake just stopped working at all, even though it was pulling tight on the cable. When I addressed that issue, the OEM replacement ebrake cables were longer then the ones on the car to begin with, then I found the rear caliper was leaking past the bleeder screws for whatever reason, even though they were tight and had the oem gaskets on them. Replaced one of those calipers, only to have that caliper leak at the bleeder screw, which I managed to fix by coating the bleeder screw threads in loctite thread sealant 562. The whole brake system has been a whole mess of problems. The only bright spot in all of this is how much the goodridge stainless steel brake line kit improved the pedal feel and braking response. Literally a night and day difference with the full 6 line kit for 100 bucks.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Is this something that only brembo guys are experiencing, because ive never experienced this with LSJ brakes? I do know that the pedal is very mushy on the stock brakes but SS brake lines on all 6 lines solved that problem immediately.
Which SS brake line kit did you use? I am not a huge fan of the mushy brakes. Was it the FTP kit? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
slotted rotors and pad material affect it. Slotted about eliminates it in the rain. Softer compound in winter is far superior. I run a cheep Bendix Metalmaster on my Brembos in the winter on a heavier car and they are awesome.

you get nothing for nothing and a Ferodo HP1000 performance pad is not designed or intended to be used in extreme winter conditions. Racing in the rain if it wasnt a variable rain day, we would always run softer pads, block brake ducts, change or disconnect sway bars, even run softer rate springs and different compound tires. Even hand grooved A6 auto cross tires for intermediate conditions.

For your Brembo cobalt, change the pad for the winter; slot the rotors for the summer
Would running softer compound pads all the time be detrimental? In AZ so extra hot in summer, don't track it. Gotta do the brakes soon...
Old 11-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TotalChaos
Which SS brake line kit did you use? I am not a huge fan of the mushy brakes. Was it the FTP kit? Thanks!
I got a goodridge 6 line kit off ebay for 70 dollars off retail, brand new in box. Although I have LSJ brakes not the brembos.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Soofisahab
Would running softer compound pads all the time be detrimental? In AZ so extra hot in summer, don't track it. Gotta do the brakes soon...
i doubt it, but the HP1000 is a very good pad. I would stick with that if I were you. But you can always try something like the bendix metalmaster they are cheap enough. And if you dont like them you can learn from it, and buy HP1000
Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 AM

I got a goodridge 6 line kit off ebay for 70 dollars off retail, brand new in box. Although I have LSJ brakes not the brembos.
Thanks. It has been difficult to find SS brake lines for the SS/TC Brembo combo.

I am not a fan of the brakes either and have yet to drive this car in the rain (only had it two weeks) so this thread interests me.

I was reading a little bit about brake fluid and some like ATE. Any other suggestions for someone trying to bolster the braking power but more importantly pedal feel for this car?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:46 PM

I'm getting a stupid squeal out of the back brakes again. Had them disassembled a few months ago for service and they're causing issues again.

Would a broken ebrake mechanism cause brakes to make noise or function wrong?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TotalChaos
Thanks. It has been difficult to find SS brake lines for the SS/TC Brembo combo.

I am not a fan of the brakes either and have yet to drive this car in the rain (only had it two weeks) so this thread interests me.

I was reading a little bit about brake fluid and some like ATE. Any other suggestions for someone trying to bolster the braking power but more importantly pedal feel for this car?
Goodridge SS lines. Got em on mine, pedal feel is fantastic.