08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Charge Piping Came Loose.....

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 PM
  #101  
Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-08
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine replaced at the dealership and it had a rubber type washer now to hold it in better. Seems to be working okay so far.
09silverSSS is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 AM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-11-09
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,384
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine came with the rubber grommet/washer along with a metal clip. 500+ miles and it seems to be holding on.
metroplex is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
  #103  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-12-09
Location: PA
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happens to the power when this come off?
christmanbob is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 PM
  #104  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chevy fix

When I was in the local dealer shop two weeks ago to get rear brake rotors turned, they told me there was a new "recall", and they would order the parts. The shop manager said something about a bolt breaking, causing an electrical short and possible fire. I took the car in today for the fix, and it was done in 5 minutes. Now I have a metal clip "nut" on the bottom, a metal bolt, and a metal keeper clip on top of the bolt. I don't have any TSB or recall information, or parts numbers, but there is a proper fix. Pester your dealer!

billdayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS - stock
Billdayton is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
  #105  
New Member
 
Join Date: 09-19-08
Location: RI
Posts: 138
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billdayton View Post
When I was in the local dealer shop two weeks ago to get rear brake rotors turned, they told me there was a new "recall", and they would order the parts. The shop manager said something about a bolt breaking, causing an electrical short and possible fire. I took the car in today for the fix, and it was done in 5 minutes. Now I have a metal clip "nut" on the bottom, a metal bolt, and a metal keeper clip on top of the bolt. I don't have any TSB or recall information, or parts numbers, but there is a proper fix. Pester your dealer!

billdayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS - stock
When I went in for an oil change yesterday, my dealer also mentioned this recall. The parts were ordered and it is going in next week. He said it would take ~45 minutes however.
Ben.Reilly is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
  #106  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post
When I went in for an oil change yesterday, my dealer also mentioned this recall. The parts were ordered and it is going in next week. He said it would take ~45 minutes however.
I was in the shop at 9:45, and out before 10:00. Their rate probably says 45 minutes, but it's a quick fix.

Last edited by Billdayton; 08-19-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: fix typo
Billdayton is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 01:50 PM
  #107  
New Member
 
Join Date: 10-14-08
Location: The South
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I just bought the car yesterday (new but it's been on their lot for months)would this recall have been done by the dealership at the time of delivery? Or is this something I need to look out for?
STOCK1SC is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
  #108  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-21-05
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 5,060
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
If I just bought the car yesterday (new but it's been on their lot for months)would this recall have been done by the dealership at the time of delivery? Or is this something I need to look out for?
Should be fine; quick visual inspection will tell you. Pic of mine (08) with the TSB completed:

Permafried- is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
  #109  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
If I just bought the car yesterday (new but it's been on their lot for months)would this recall have been done by the dealership at the time of delivery? Or is this something I need to look out for?
They are supposed to do it on all inventory, but it is a pretty new recall, and they may have had to order the parts. Ask the dealer, and look closely at the bolt that holds the left charge pipe to a bracket over the motor, near the high pressure fuel pump. If it is plastic, they haven't done it. The repair is a metal stud, clip "nut", and spring clip keeper on top of the bolt, all metal.

bill dayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS Victory Red
Billdayton is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
  #110  
New Member
 
Join Date: 10-14-08
Location: The South
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billdayton View Post
They are supposed to do it on all inventory, but it is a pretty new recall, and they may have had to order the parts. Ask the dealer, and look closely at the bolt that holds the left charge pipe to a bracket over the motor, near the high pressure fuel pump. If it is plastic, they haven't done it. The repair is a metal stud, clip "nut", and spring clip keeper on top of the bolt, all metal.

bill dayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS Victory Red
Thank you for the help, I'll go take a look at it tonight.
STOCK1SC is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
  #111  
Member
 
Join Date: 02-24-09
Location: CA
Posts: 320
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got no response at the recall thread.... thought I'll post here...

Mine has the black stud but no retainer clip... does that mean mine has the newer stud?

Bigger pic: http://www.pbase.com/jt_kgy/image/116573667.jpg


Also looks like there's a dent on the front side (fan,headlight side) of the pipe... is that
normal? There are also no clamps on that side..?

bigger pic: http://www.pbase.com/jt_kgy/image/116573666.jpg
JT-KGY is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
  #112  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dLooks like you need the recall work done. The stud should be a light grey color, with a black retainer over the top.

Here is the information on the fix:

GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS
DCS 2272
URGENT DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: July 21, 2009

Subject: 09126 Service Update Bulletin
For Inventory Vehicles and Customer Vehicles
Charge Air Cooler Inlet Duct Detachment
Expires with Base Warranty

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS
Equipped with a Manual Transmission
To: Chevrolet Dealers

Attention: General Manager, New Vehicle Sales Manager,
Used Car Sales Manager, Service Manager,

Parts Manager and Warranty, Administrator

General Motors is announcing Service Update Bulletin 09126 today. The total number of vehicles involved is 6,756.

This bulletin provides a service procedure to install a new stud and retainer on certain 2008-2009 model year Chevrolet Cobalt SS and HHR SS vehicles equipped with a manual transmission.

On these vehicles, the charge air cooler inlet duct may become detached and contact the high pressure fuel pump connector. This contact could eventually cause damage to the connector, causing the fuel pump to become inoperative. If this were to happen, the Engine Power Reduced message would illuminate in the DIC and the maximum vehicle speed would be reduced to 20 mph (32 km/h).


This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

Service Information System (SI)

Bulletin 09126 will be available in SI on July 22, 2009.

GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS)

GMVIS information will be available on July 22, 2009.

Service Update Bulletin Information (SUB) Link

The Inventory VIN List will be available in the SUB link on July 22, 2009.

PLEASE DOUBLE CLICK ON THE ICON BELOW

TO VIEW OR PRINT THE BULLETIN


END OF MESSAGE

GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS




#09126: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles-Charge Air Cooler Inlet Duct Detachment - (Jul 21, 2009)

Subject: 09126 -- Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Charge Air Cooler Inlet Duct Detachment - Expires with Base Warranty


Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS Equipped with a Manual Transmission
THIS SERVICE UPDATE INCLUDES VEHICLES IN DEALER INVENTORY AND CUSTOMER VEHICLES THAT RETURN TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR ANY REASON. IT WILL EXPIRE AT THE END OF THE INVOLVED VEHICLE'S NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD.

Purpose
This bulletin provides a service procedure to install a new stud and retainer on certain 2008-2009 model year Chevrolet Cobalt SS and HHR SS vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. On these vehicles, the charge air cooler inlet duct may become detached and contact the high pressure fuel pump connector. This contact could eventually cause damage to the connector, causing the fuel pump to become inoperative. If this were to happen, the Engine Power Reduced message would illuminate in the DIC and the maximum vehicle speed would be reduced to 20 mph (32 km/h).

This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

Vehicles Involved
A list of involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory is available on the "Service Update Bulletin Information" link under the "Service" tab in GM GlobalConnect (US) or attached to the Dealer Communication (Canada) used to release this bulletin. Customer vehicles that return for service, for any reason, and are still covered under the vehicle's base warranty, and are within the VIN breakpoints provided below, should be checked for vehicle eligibility in the appropriate system listed below.

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

2008
Chevrolet
Cobalt SS
87229258
8735153

2009
Chevrolet
Cobalt SS
97100001
97254608

2008
Chevrolet
HHR SS
8S581592
8S722574

2009
Chevrolet
HHR SS
9S500006
9S621588

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

11570937 Stud, Chrg Air Clr Brkt Plt 1

90278102 Retainer, Chrg Air Clr 1
Billdayton is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 PM
  #113  
Member
 
Join Date: 02-24-09
Location: CA
Posts: 320
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Billdayton,

Thanks for the reply...
How about the crimp/dent on the pipe itself? (2nd picture)
Is that normal?
JT-KGY is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
  #114  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JT-KGY View Post
Billdayton,

Thanks for the reply...
How about the crimp/dent on the pipe itself? (2nd picture)
Is that normal?
I' not sure I see what you are talking about. There is a substantial indentation on the side of that pipe, right before the flex hose connection. There is no obvious clamp on the connection to the flex hose.
Billdayton is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM
  #115  
Member
 
Join Date: 02-24-09
Location: CA
Posts: 320
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billdayton View Post
I' not sure I see what you are talking about. There is a substantial indentation on the side of that pipe, right before the flex hose connection. There is no obvious clamp on the connection to the flex hose.
Yup.. thats what I was referring to.
So the big indentation on the side of the pipe, right before the flex hose connection is
normal?
And that there are no obvious clamp is also normal?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm not the first owner of the vehicle..and just wondering
if I should ask the dealer to replace pipe.
JT-KGY is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
  #116  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JT-KGY View Post
Yup.. thats what I was referring to.
So the big indentation on the side of the pipe, right before the flex hose connection is
normal?
And that there are no obvious clamp is also normal?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm not the first owner of the vehicle..and just wondering
if I should ask the dealer to replace pipe.
I have only had my SS for 6 weeks, so I'm no expert. However, I believe that's right.

billdayton
95 Corvette (for sale), 09 Cobalt SS
Billdayton is offline  
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 AM
  #117  
New Member
 
1 LIL NDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-01-09
Location: Nottingham,MD 21236
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New here But the 2.0 Solstice does the same thing .What you need are the " T " bolt Bands replace upper and lower .If the car has a Tune w/heavy Boost it pops the standard Bands off
1 LIL NDN is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 02:51 PM
  #118  
Senior Member
 
steven2008ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-09
Location: NY
Posts: 1,383
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
funny thing i look at this, mine used to be VERY loose i just went to go look, it looks like GM put a bolt or screw in there now the thing doesnt move....weird
steven2008ss is offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
  #119  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-09-08
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got mine fixed today. Looks good, they told me I got to replace my rotors, so I'll have to find the info on that so they can do that also.
Rebel is offline  
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM
  #120  
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-14-07
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys, I shattered my intercooler on 26PSI and still haven't had a single problem with the charge piping... 5k miles on the car, 4500 miles since I've been running 26 psi. ****, with two friends and our luggage on the way to the LSFest this year, the car hit 30 PSI... (I detuned it back down, don't worry, I wouldn't leave it at that, but it DID happen ONCE).

I'll go take a look... I must have that clip or something. I'm not having any problems. Well, except the blown up intercooler.
IFRYRCE is offline  
Old 12-17-2010, 05:31 PM
  #121  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 13,456
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I just noticed this thread...

Originally Posted by IFRYRCE View Post
Guys, I shattered my intercooler on 26PSI and still haven't had a single problem with the charge piping... 5k miles on the car, 4500 miles since I've been running 26 psi. ****, with two friends and our luggage on the way to the LSFest this year, the car hit 30 PSI... (I detuned it back down, don't worry, I wouldn't leave it at that, but it DID happen ONCE).

I'll go take a look... I must have that clip or something. I'm not having any problems. Well, except the blown up intercooler.
I guess that means GM's fix worked then huh?

judging by the fact that this thread is pretty much dead now, I'm guessing that any/all of the affected cars have had the chargepipe work serviced...

......

You know what I find really sad about this thread?

The OP was banned for who knows what here, and the car pictured in post #1 car has been languishing in my garage since late summer;
It hasn't been driven since he had a skirmish with a gravel truck around the beginning of March 2010...
soundjunky is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
  #122  
Member
 
Join Date: 01-01-11
Location: VA
Posts: 357
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly. The stock charge piping is a joke. After market piping is definitely what's up. To be honest, I'd get that before anything else.
aimeee is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
  #123  
Nothin Stock
iTrader: (46)
 
Join Date: 12-10-09
Location: Windsor ON/Detroit MI
Posts: 4,918
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what is that black condom peice on the screw?
gotboost?17 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
  #124  
New Member
 
Join Date: 02-19-12
Location: Toronto
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canada

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a used 2010 SS from a Chevy dealership, and was wondering if the 2010 models already have this fix or not.

They are closed today, so I can't drop by to take a look.

Thanks,

Mr Al
Mr Al is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
  #125  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 13,456
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
^^it was for (all) 2008 & some 2009 model year cars.
soundjunky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charge Piping Came Loose.....


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.