08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Destroyed a Conti last night

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Destroyed a Conti last night

The roads were dry around here the last few days so I decided to take the balt to work instead of the mallcrawler.

I got off of work at 11pm and hit a damn pothole on the drivers side while merging on to an expressway doing about 50mph. TPMS showed it was holding air ok so I kept going towards home. When I get there I see a knot on the sidewall bigger than a golfball. It looks like the wheel is ok on the outside but tonight after work I'll take it off, clean it up, get the rubber scars off of it and take a close look.

I was going to get some A/S tires before next winter but I decided to order them now instead of throwing away $200+ on another Conti.

I ordered 4 BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S from TireRack. I sure hope the wheel isn't toast. It looks like the rubber scuffed off some paint at the edge, but I just did a fast check this morning when I had to leave for work at 6am. Fast boomerang back to work and I didn't sleep much anyway. Wish me luck!
Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck im from indiana and the roads suck especially in bloomington and surrounding areas pot holes galore hell theres one around my house that would seriously take your front wheel off if you hit it.

nice balt by the way looks good

Last edited by jerry357; 01-24-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 AM

My son lives in Indy and bent 2 wheels, but the new tires were OK
The guys in his shop told him about a place in Indy that they had used to fix wheels.
He had both wheel fixed and a 4 wheel alignment for under $200.
It's on a WRX and he told me it was find at high speed, kids.............

Let me know if you want the name/phone number/price
Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Seriously, the midwest roads are part of the reason I want to leave for CA, TX, or AZ.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM

I did the exact same thing here in NC. You probably only have some exterior scuffing for about an inch to an inch and a half on the lip. Should be no wheel damage at all besides appearance. If you lived here, I'd give you name to my wheel lady. Exact matched it, filled it, and touched it up later (after the tire guys scratched it all to hell) for like 50 bucks.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 PM

You'll love the BFG's though.

I have my Conti's I won't be using if anyone wants spares. Only 4k miles. One with a repair.
I'm not trying to push them off really. Just thought I'd mention it as they will probably just sit until the rubber gets too old for anyone to use them.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM

i got the BFG's also man. They are awesome AS tire
Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 PM

I have been researching them for a few months off & on and after following a posters experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S (my previous first choice) and the problems he had, he switched to the BFG's and loved them. I hope I will too. He had experienced a lot of torque steer with two different sets of the Bridgestones and swapped them all around with no improvement if I remember right.

The tire installer I'm going with uses a touchless machine and I plan to be there when they do it so hopefully they won't beat up the rims.

I took the wheel off tonight and it's fine. No damage on the back side at all. The only damage I see is a very slight blem in the finish for about an inch at the lip on the front side. No chipping or cracking though.

I must have caught the pothole with the outside of the tire. Hopefully the BFG's will get here Wed or Thurs.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
I have been researching them for a few months off & on and after following a posters experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S (my previous first choice) and the problems he had, he switched to the BFG's and loved them. I hope I will too. He had experienced a lot of torque steer with two different sets of the Bridgestones and swapped them all around with no improvement if I remember right.

The tire installer I'm going with uses a touchless machine and I plan to be there when they do it so hopefully they won't beat up the rims.

I took the wheel off tonight and it's fine. No damage on the back side at all. The only damage I see is a very slight blem in the finish for about an inch at the lip on the front side. No chipping or cracking though.

I must have caught the pothole with the outside of the tire. Hopefully the BFG's will get here Wed or Thurs.
Let us know what you think!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM

I got the BFG G-force SS A/S tires installed today. The local installer (Dave's Automotive in Valparaiso, IN) did an excellent job. No marks on the wheels at all and the balance job is great so far (up to 80mph).

The tech torqued the lugs twice in the shop and rechecked them after he took it out for a test spin. I'm sure he just wanted to drive it. I'll retorque them tomorrow after I get a hundred miles on it.

I only drove it home 15 miles so far but the road noise isn't any more than the Conti's were but I think the ride is a bit firmer on fast jolts like expansion joints. I have no objections so far. These are XL load rated tires so I expected them to be a bit firmer. There is no tire lip covering the edge of the wheel but I don't parellel park next to curbs anyway.

I did a fairly hard stop on some packed snow & ice and it's a GREAT BIG improvement over the summer rated Conti's that I ditched. It was 22 degrees and flooring it in second from a roll I had zero wheel spin on the dry surface. The Conti's would occasionally break loose in the cold.