08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Do not get an intake unless you're custom tuning the car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadconeTuning
so how bad does it eff stuff up to use the stock airbox with the AEM elbow monstrosity? isnt that the real restriction?
Because the intake tube is post MAF it does not change the fuel trims more than 1% or so.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wangspeed
"But someone said ___ intake does not throw off fuel trims"
It does throw them off. It needs to be tuned. This is not some ancient car. The car constantly tries to operate in closed loop, and as such is completely dependent on all of it's sensors to be in accurate working order. Throwing them off by doing things like changing the intake can damage the engine.

"But it doesn't set off the CEL"
Just because it doesn't set of the CEL, doesn't mean it's ok. If you saw the amount of knock and how skewed your fuel trims are, you would be singing a different tune. Literally.

"What if it's just 3-4% off"
3-4% off where? MAF tuning is much more complicated than simply saying it's a few percent off. Let's say it's rich in one spot, the ECU will attempt to remove fuel in surrounding cells. What if it was already lean in those other cells? This car already runs very lean, so if it's off just a little bit, that is not good.

"Someone said they've been doing fine without tuning"
Did they data log? No? Stop right there.

"Can I run GMS1 with an intake?"
No, not if you care about your engine.

"Do I need to get re-tuned if I already have a custom tune?"
Yes, I'm sure your tuner will discount a simple MAF tune.

"What if my tuner doesn't have MAF tuning available?"
Walk away! Just walk away!

"My tuner only tuned the intake on the dyno. Is that okay?"
No, probably not. You need to do a lot of steady state cruising at various RPMs and loads to produce a good MAF calibration.

I'll go on record as saying that changing the intake is the riskiest bolt on that you can do. You should not swap the intake on any modern car without tuning. If you are unwilling to do this, then go play with the exhaust side, or suspension. Just leave the intake alone.

I agrre with what you say I have done a K&N and the airbox mod and my mileage alone has gone to hell. I will be getting a tune soon.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I changed my filter for the second time...air filter that is, and once again just changing the factory filter skewed my trims...I feel like a heel because when the engine was replaced the air filter wasn't and the amount of track time I have with the car that is something I should change more often than I do. It looked pretty bad, off white on clean side, but a road grime gray on the other with a half million of those damn "fu*k beetles" stuck to the pleats. This car should have come with a filter life monitor and if I can find one I'll ****** one from a silverado HD. A reminder to those who are seeing less MPG than usual, change your air filter!