08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Do not get an intake unless you're custom tuning the car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
I think this thread was more made because there is a million threads about GMS1 and then intakes, the regulars can only take sooo much sometimes I guess lol. And it isn't scare tactics when there is truth behind it. Will your car blow up, IMHO, prolly not! Is it getting fouled up with too much fuel and wasting performance, absolutely. Why spend money on an intake that won't gain any performance, noise?

And you're mis-information is telling people this is nonsense based on 0 facts, just your opinion and the way you FEEL the car is running. That is putting info out there based on nothing factual AT ALL.
Saying an intake will blow up this car and is bad for it is miss information as well. My "nonsense" was saying this is a horrible way to go about informing users. Where is wangspeeds facts on intakes blowing up engines? My points are, stock tune knocks like a ****. k&n datalogged by some has kept decent trims, so how is that worse than stock or stage1? Some people dont want or need a custom tune, but telling them they HAVE to? wtf. I see both sides of having a custom tune and not, you guys only see 1 side, having a custom one.

Isnt there dyno's of stage 1 ppl with intakes getting more power? Just because a custom tune net's you more doesnt mean bolt ons are a waste.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there were all of about 3 sentences in this entire thread that were accurate, the rest was BS

Being a newbie to the cobalt community (solely because my wife picked up an 07 SS) it amazes me the amount of BS information floating around this forum
Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by northvibe
Saying an intake will blow up this car and is bad for it is miss information as well. My "nonsense" was saying this is a horrible way to go about informing users. Where is wangspeeds facts on intakes blowing up engines? My points are, stock tune knocks like a ****. k&n datalogged by some has kept decent trims, so how is that worse than stock or stage1? Some people dont want or need a custom tune, but telling them they HAVE to? wtf. I see both sides of having a custom tune and not, you guys only see 1 side, having a custom one.

Isnt there dyno's of stage 1 ppl with intakes getting more power? Just because a custom tune net's you more doesnt mean bolt ons are a waste.
Nobody says you have to go buy a custom tune, we're saying if you get an intake you should. And Im not going to see your side of the arguement because Ive seen first hand with REAL information in front of me what they do to these cars. Go and log your car part throttle and WOT and look over the log, you will see what we are talking about. Until then, you are just stating your personal opinion based on nothing factual other then it feels fine lol.

And, I just said I dont think a car would blow up from it so slow down and read a second lol.

You brought up parts are made different etc, so they all can't be bad. It has nothing to do with build quality or anything. It's in the design of the intake and the MAF placement that determines how the trims will react compared to stock. I personally have tuned almost every intake out there (except for Fujita that someone brought up, havent seen that one yet) and they all skewed the trims significantly! The Injen was horrendous, the kids car wouldn't accel over 5500 smoothly without dialing in the intake. You could feel the car nose over.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM

i have personally seen a car blow its motor due to not being tuned for an intake he was using a hahn intake and raced and ran his car hard on the weekends and one race his motor went boom after i told him he needed to tune for an intake
Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BYT is right. I got tired of seeing people complain about MIL, which is the correct term, not CEL. Also seeing thread after thread about how their car sucks, and they're taking it into a dealer, with an untuned intake. Well, yeah, 90% of dealers are not going to know that an intake totally screws up the ECU. Some of the intakes are atrocious.

This isn't just a Cobalt issue. I learned this while tuning my previous car. Intake tuning, even on stock cars, is important. Messing with the intake is not something that should be considered a bolt on anymore. Those days are gone. Like I said, go screw around with suspension or exhaust.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
BYT is right. I got tired of seeing people complain about MIL, which is the correct term, not CEL. Also seeing thread after thread about how their car sucks, and they're taking it into a dealer, with an untuned intake. Well, yeah, 90% of dealers are not going to know that an intake totally screws up the ECU. Some of the intakes are atrocious.

This isn't just a Cobalt issue. I learned this while tuning my previous car. Intake tuning, even on stock cars, is important. Messing with the intake is not something that should be considered a bolt on anymore. Those days are gone. Like I said, go screw around with suspension or exhaust.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Ok think about it this way..i want a warranty somewhat if i buy a newer one....so...1 you have to buy a spare pcm....2 then get it tune.....but 3....if you want to be safe! Or run properly....you need the 3 bar map sensors......there in again ...want warranty...so inorder to do that and keep warranty i would have to buy the gms1 kit first then start back at one....and i would like to do more then just a tune....i have had 3 talons in the past 330whp is not that much
Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wangspeed

Absolutely true. Speak with some STI owners who have a clue what they are talking about and they'll tell you first hand how skewed things get with just bolting a CAI onto an untuned engine. Those engines are even more sensative to intakes than the LNF...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Good post Wang!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kyle1853
Ok think about it this way..i want a warranty somewhat if i buy a newer one....so...1 you have to buy a spare pcm....2 then get it tune.....but 3....if you want to be safe! Or run properly....you need the 3 bar map sensors......there in again ...want warranty...so inorder to do that and keep warranty i would have to buy the gms1 kit first then start back at one....and i would like to do more then just a tune....i have had 3 talons in the past 330whp is not that much

None of that is true, Im sorry.

You can flash the original VCM and still be under warranty without them being able to tell. Ive proven this along with 3 other people on HPT with a Tech2. Even Cmiller took his to the dealership he works at and verified it looked untouched. So you don't NEED a spare VCM to retain warranty.

I am still running the original stock sensors on my car. I have taken the car to 30psi and back, ran it 100's of times at my local strip etc.. There is nothing wrong with the stock sensors. So you don't HAVE to have the GMS1 sensors.

And then you bring up your Talon, it takes a lot more to get to 330whp on that car then it does in this car. You will not get there on the stock turbo in a Talon, price already went way over the SS mod price with just that part... Im not saying which car could make more power, that has nothing to do with this arguement. Just saying you can go a LOT faster in this car with the same amount of money spent on either.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Ok but what did you do when it went into the dealer...or to check out to see if you could tell. Because i work at a dealer to and i have see that if it went in..there are some codes that when triggered and if being hp tuned have a bunch of bogus numbers infront of it.....and then why would everyone esle that has hp tuners go buy a spare pcm.....pointless...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM

None of that is true, Im sorry.

You can flash the original VCM and still be under warranty without them being able to tell. Ive proven this along with 3 other people on HPT with a Tech2. Even Cmiller took his to the dealership he works at and verified it looked untouched. So you don't NEED a spare VCM to retain warranty.

I am still running the original stock sensors on my car. I have taken the car to 30psi and back, ran it 100's of times at my local strip etc.. There is nothing wrong with the stock sensors. So you don't HAVE to have the GMS1 sensors.

And then you bring up your Talon, it takes a lot more to get to 330whp on that car then it does in this car. You will not get there on the stock turbo in a Talon, price already went way over the SS mod price with just that part... Im not saying which car could make more power, that has nothing to do with this arguement. Just saying you can go a LOT faster in this car with the same amount of money spent on either.
Great info!!
Thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kyle1853
Ok but what did you do when it went into the dealer...or to check out to see if you could tell. Because i work at a dealer to and i have see that if it went in..there are some codes that when triggered and if being hp tuned have a bunch of bogus numbers infront of it.....and then why would everyone esle that has hp tuners go buy a spare pcm.....pointless...
I flashed it with the stock file I had my car serviced and they checked my VCM, confirmed it was untouched. And as I said already, several other people have tested this same method successfully and proven it to work.

Everyone else went and bought spare's because of people posting false information based on either no facts or they didn't do it properly.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM

The stock tune has knock. MS3's have the same knock. tons at partial throttle. Thats without an aftermarket intake. There are engine that blow stock as well. No matter what you do, the engine can blow. So why dont you make a post saying its unsafe to even drive stock?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Absolutely true. Speak with some STI owners who have a clue what they are talking about and they'll tell you first hand how skewed things get with just bolting a CAI onto an untuned engine. Those engines are even more sensative to intakes than the LNF...
Guess what I learned on ;-) Legacy GT with STI intake manifold and went through 3 different turbo setups and finally with water injection as well.

I tuned the stock intake, an AEM, and then finally, a custom 3" intake from P&L. I learned how to tune all 3, and saw the effects of being even just a little bit off. Yes, that car was more sensitive than this one about it, because it's even more prone to crack ringlands than this car is. And yes, people did crack ring lands from bad MAF tuning on those cars.

From the original post:

"Someone said they've been doing fine without tuning"
Did they data log? No? Stop right there.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor

The stock tune has knock. MS3's have the same knock. tons at partial throttle. Thats without an aftermarket intake. There are engine that blow stock as well. No matter what you do, the engine can blow. So why dont you make a post saying its unsafe to even drive stock?
Because there is a big difference in GM using KR for Tq Management and then the car really knocking lol. I saw 3-4* in the midrange with my car totally stock. I threw a dropin on the car and it went up to 6*.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Because there is a big difference in GM using KR for Tq Management and then the car really knocking lol. I saw 3-4* in the midrange with my car totally stock. I threw a dropin on the car and it went up to 6*.
ya I question the drop in filter... although did anyone log a dry drop in filter?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor

The dropin filter makes the least of all changes to the intake. Keep modifying it and the results get worse. So a dropin alone is making enough negative change to warrant a tune...well you get where Im going with that one
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Okay I had pm'd term2 a while ago and never got a response. My thought was, everyone with data logging abilities, log their car stock, and then install X intake and data log, and we have a thread sticky for us where we can post the environment details (weather etc) and the logs to show what is going on per intake, per location. THEN everyone can see actual logs, from more than 2 people and actually data instead of just what is "said" on the forum.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor

Why? So then you can come in and knock down what we're proving yet again? No thanks. **** is really happening, people are either concerned or not, posting logs will just be more "scare tactics to get money for tuners" so Im not wasting my time on it. Not to mention I dont have time to switch between all different setups, take logs, post them etc.. You have a dashawk, go do the work yourself. Log the stock intake then throw your K&N back on and see what happens.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM

I 100% agree with northvibe, engines blow up regardless but you increase your chances with an aftermarket tune. I think that this thread was a failure off the get-go with the blanket statement that EVERY intake HAS to be tuned or death will come upon thee. If your bored, go on a civic forum and tell them vtec will destroy the internals unless tuned for. I can see how this thread began though, somebody who was driving around with 15 laptops on the car monitoring everything until he sees something slightly move then came on here wrote about it. This thread will put fear into anyone that plans on modding and I think someone who actually knows what they're talking should clarify these spectulations otherwise it's like having Mel Gibson work for you at a call center..... Not a good idea
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
What are the available ways out there to data log? HPT and...
Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor

10-20% changes in fuel trims isn't a minor change.... Yet another GMS1'r just posting about how their car "feels" fine. Enjoy guys, thankfully you still have your warranty's lol...
Old 08-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Resident Post Whore/Troll

what is the worst intake out there?? does the Dejon SRI skew the maf bad????
Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor

The worst intake Ive seen for trims was the Injen

Quick Reply: Do not get an intake unless you're custom tuning the car!