08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

F35 Trans (LNF) Frozen Shifter Cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I dont think its water. I think its poor choice of material
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
I dont think its water. I think its poor choice of material
I agree. I think it's cheap plastic that is contracting or something. If it were water i think you would see a bigger issue.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
I agree. I think it's cheap plastic that is contracting or something. If it were water i think you would see a bigger issue.
Yeah, and here is why I think its the plastic since I didnt mention the logic.

Water freezes at 32*F. There are no circumstances where pure water can exist below 32*F and still be in liquid form, if its mixed with a salt or any substance to lower the freezing point (alcohol) then yes that could happen.

I only experience the frozen shifter cables below approximately 28*F. Oil doesnt freeze at that temp. alittle bit of water in the oil (if it could blend) would not raise the freezing point that high that oil could freeze.

So what other possibilities could cause the cables to "Sieze"? All materials expand and contract with temperature. Thats one of the reasons why there are torque specs. For instance if you dont torque the spark plug correctly and its just snug at cold temps but below trq spec, it may become loose as the engine gets hot.

SO lets look at the shifter cable. Its a big long rod of metal with a plastic sheathe surronding it. When it gets cold metal does contract but not that much. We are talking iron based metals or metals mixed with iron. Aluminum can contract but it has to get retarded cold. That plastic material around the rod? Plastic is a softer, less dense material than any metal you'll find on the car. It will contract faster than metal or a better way to say it would be "It will contract more than the metal at the same temp difference."

I dont think grease will fix this problem.

I got an interesting idea to try and prove this. take dry ice and put it all around the shifter cables just inside the cup holder. it will not make a mess since it melts into CO2 gas, no water. Dry ice is -80*F. That should definately cool the plastic sheathe at least at that point to cause it to sieze. I may try this.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Yeah and make that plastic brittle and make it snap. I wouldn't do that.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any ideas as what to try to solve this problem. It is -23 where I live. My car isn't really doing this totally. But it is alot stiffer to slide into netural in the morning. But it clears up with in a few minutes of the car running. Any ideas.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dam now this comes up. every winter since i got trans replaced mine does this, never did before and never happened on the base. dealer told me it was because of moisture and told me to store inside for a day, i looked at them and was like realy like i have a place like that.

as qouted earlier, i dont see how plastic can put enough bind on metal to the point of where in a despriate situation i had to full on kick my sifter free, i may be small and somewhat weak but even my 136lbs couldnt move it

oh and side note, like i said never happed on my base

Last edited by BlackLsCoupe; 01-07-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Yeah really. My car has never been apart. And mine is not bad at all. But I want to find a fix before the problem gets really bad next year .
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS
Yeah really. My car has never been apart. And mine is not bad at all. But I want to find a fix before the problem gets really bad next year .
id try takeing that cable out bring it inside and try lubeing it, once it got to spring i sprayed white grease on mine, its a bit better this year hasent froze froze, its stiff and makes it hard for shifting, still think they messed up my cable
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLsCoupe
dam now this comes up. every winter since i got trans replaced mine does this, never did before and never happened on the base. dealer told me it was because of moisture and told me to store inside for a day, i looked at them and was like realy like i have a place like that.

as qouted earlier, i dont see how plastic can put enough bind on metal to the point of where in a despriate situation i had to full on kick my sifter free, i may be small and somewhat weak but even my 136lbs couldnt move it

oh and side note, like i said never happed on my base
^^ Lol.... I hear ya about the being small part. I'm 5' 9" and weigh about 145ish. I thought I read before that the lnf uses a totally different shift lingage cable and all due to its updated braket and stuff. I can tell you from looking at it ontop of the tranny. It looks a fair amount different then on my 06 ss\sc. I really couldn't see how so many people with fairly new cars could all have moisture in there shift linkages. Plus , if moisture was getting in there . Wouldn't a good drive and letting them run for awhile dry the moisture out. I mean it gets hot under that hood.

Also , did you take your linkages out. And if so, how hard was that.

P.s- My keyboard has no question mark button. Hence the all periods.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM

^^ Lol.... I hear ya about the being small part. I'm 5' 9" and weigh about 145ish. I thought I read before that the lnf uses a totally different shift lingage cable and all due to its updated braket and stuff. I can tell you from looking at it ontop of the tranny. It looks a fair amount different then on my 06 ss\sc. I really couldn't see how so many people with fairly new cars could all have moisture in there shift linkages. Plus , if moisture was getting in there . Wouldn't a good drive and letting the run for awhile dry the moisture out. I mean it gets hot under that hood.
exactly, i let my car warm up for 15min, first this it happend, it didnt help a bit. i never looked into the cables being differnt, im a mechanic and it stumps me, dont know too much about trans' yet
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Also , did you take your linkages out. And if so, how hard was that.

P.s- My keyboard has no question mark button. Hence the all periods.
no i didnt, i think its hard, i just found the exposed cable ends

you dont have a /? button
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM

exactly, i let my car warm up for 15min, first this it happend, it didnt help a bit. i never looked into the cables being differnt, im a mechanic and it stumps me, dont know too much about trans' yet
Crazy... I took my mechanic course after school. Worked as a mechanic for two years and now I run a wood working company for the last 10ish years. So I know my way around a car also. But I can't figure out what to do about tyhis little problem. I have already used a entire bottle of white lithuim grease and sprayed the cables both under the cup holder and under the hood untop of the trans. Im kinda lost as what to try next also.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM

no i didnt, i think its hard, i just found the exposed cable ends

you dont have a /? button

Yeah... dont know what know what happened to them. One day I came home from work and puff. It was missing. Just a whole now. Lol.... I blame my wife....
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Yeah... dont know what know what happened to them. One day I came home from work and puff. It was missing. Just a whole now. Lol.... I blame my wife....
funny how mechanics quit the field so fast, hell i got 2 coworkers they are slow, im in the ford ASSET program and i can do more work a week than them. atleast your other keys work, mine once in awhile dont like they stick.

so you tried lubeing them too. i started to think maby its the bushings, since mine has 85k on it.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM

funny how mechanics quit the field so fast, hell i got 2 coworkers they are slow, im in the ford ASSET program and i can do more work a week than them. atleast your other keys work, mine once in awhile dont like they stick.

so you tried lubeing them too. i started to think maby its the bushings, since mine has 85k on it.
I had to quit... I love working on my car. Just not everyone elses junk. Lol.... But seriously. I was envromentally sick with exzma from the oil and stuff on my hands. It was so bad i could barely open and close a fist. After leaving the trade to be a wood worker , with in 6 months my hands were 100 percent healed. Crazy stuff....

I did try lubing. But it didn't seem to do to much. Im starting to agree with you. MAybe a bushing and or the bearing in the botton of the shifter rod assembly.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
On the weekend or sometime when you don't need your car, maybe try taking the cables out, bring them inside so they warm up and soak them in a tub of antifreeze or something over night keeping the entire cable submerged. If moisture is in the there, then if it mixes with the antifreeze maybe it won't lock up anymore.

Blacklscoupe, I had the same problem with my cables being frozen to the point where I pulled so hard to get the shifter out of first, I bent the cable under the console.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Anyone know what the cables part number is?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard local honey spread around the shifter cables will eliminate the frozen shifter problem.
It has be be local, though, not store-bought.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
I heard local honey spread around the shifter cables will eliminate the frozen shifter problem.
It has be be local, though, not store-bought.

Not very helpful. But funny none the less!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM

Not very helpful. But funny none the less!

Honestly, I hope I never have the problem.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM

I've found two part numbers with the description "Cable Control":

Both are listed for the LNF

Anyone?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM

Had a buddy check his invoice and it stated PN 25798498

FWIW
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Any ideas as what to try to solve this problem. It is -23 where I live. My car isn't really doing this totally. But it is alot stiffer to slide into netural in the morning. But it clears up with in a few minutes of the car running. Any ideas.
i think its just the fact that the viscosity of the oil at that low of a temp doesnt allow for smooth shifiting until the oil warms up. maybe try changing the fluid out for some better form of synthetic if possible on the F35's
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
i think its just the fact that the viscosity of the oil at that low of a temp doesnt allow for smooth shifiting until the oil warms up. maybe try changing the fluid out for some better form of synthetic if possible on the F35's
No I don't think so.

If it was low viscocity it wouldn't be so tight. This feels like a rock wall when trying to put in gear.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LS6Rally
I don't think the oil would be so thick at 30 degrees that people are having to kick their shifter free or bending cables trying to get the car into neutral. If it was -50, I could see it.

Quick Reply: F35 Trans (LNF) Frozen Shifter Cables