08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

fuel pressure lnf

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pressure lnf

I have a 2008 lnf with just bolt ons stock fuel system.
im on full e with a tune but i keep losin fuel pressure even when i was on e47 it would sputter at a high rpm and now at a high rpm it just falls on its face and sends me the code along with reduce engine power. Idk where to start besides with the HPFP but don’t want to throw my money away any ideas?
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbowtie
I have a 2008 lnf with just bolt ons stock fuel system.
im on full e with a tune but i keep losin fuel pressure even when i was on e47 it would sputter at a high rpm and now at a high rpm it just falls on its face and sends me the code along with reduce engine power. Idk where to start besides with the HPFP but don’t want to throw my money away any ideas?
What code are you getting?

As running ethanol requires significantly richer A/F ratio, you're either running out of fuel on the low side (FP to the HPFP) or you've exceeded the capability of the HPFP/injectors. Start by monitoring the low side fuel pressure when the concern occurs; this can be done by installing a fuel pressure gauge at the shrader valve (if equipped), installing the fuel pressure gauge in-line (T-fitting), or monitoring the low side fuel pressure using a scan tool (if equipped with a low side sensor). If the fuel pressure drops when the concern occurs, you're starving the HPFP for fuel. In that case you'd need to upgrade your in-tank pump or install a booster pump.

If the low side fuel pressure isn't dropping, you'll need to monitor the FRP (fuel rail pressure) using a scan tool. If the FRP PID drops down and doesn't match the FRP desired PID when the concern occurs, you'll need to upgrade the HPFP/injectors to handle the extra fuel volume that is required for your setup.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
To run full E you need upgraded injectors or fuel lobe or upgraded hpfp. there's people who will know exactly what you need for what you want to do (injectors & hpfp are easier to install than cams). But there's no way in hell you're running full E on stock fuel system. Highly advise against it.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Yeah running full e at sea level is not gonna happen without injectors or zzps fuel pump even then depending on what turbo and how its tuned who knows.

Pull the code and report back, but likely you're running out of fuel.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Yeah running full e at sea level is not gonna happen without injectors or zzps fuel pump even then depending on what turbo and how its tuned who knows.

Pull the code and report back, but likely you're running out of fuel.
p0087
Old 11-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Badbowtie

p0087
it sputtered on the big end on e47 too
Old 11-05-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
You're running out of fuel pressure, the injectors are staying open to long and th hpfp cannot keep up. You need to either upgrade your fuel system (injectors and fuel pump) or go back to e47 and dial it back a touch. Running out of fuel at WOT is how things go boom really fast.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
What ECaulk said is perfectly right. Whoever tuned you, I hope, would know how to get to full E safely. There's options that exist that haven't in the past (upgraded HPFP) so Opels/cam may be unnecessary. Now if it were me, I'd be doing Opels and HPFP upgrade just to make damn sure there's enough fuel. If you're big turbo you might need to look into upgraded cams but I think (from my limited knowledge & experience) that Opels & ZZP pump should be suitable for K04.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
The only way safely you can run full E stock on a k04 is at altitude. Opels actually hurt the FP when not running a lobe or upgraded HPFP. I prefer to run stock injectors on the lobe big turbo around 475hp because it'll have a higher FP. With Opels and a LT1 pump you can run E into the low 500s