08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

is gms stage1 turbo upgrade better or a tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is gms stage1 turbo upgrade better or a tune

Tring to decide betwwen a turbo upgrade or a tune. Witch one is better for the money and why. thanksmuch for the input.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 PM

What is the GM stage 1 turbo upgrade?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 PM

the GM LNF Turbo Upgrade is just sensors and a tune. It all depends on what you want, if you have warranty. If you have no warranty go with an aftermarket tune, Trifecta or HPT. The aftermarket tunes will net you more power and for the same or less money.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:18 PM

I know what the GM stage 1 upgrade is, just didn't know what the turbo upgrade was.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Technically the kit is called "GM LNF Turbo Upgrade" there was huge debate going on if it should be called that because it isnt actually upgrading the turbo at all and it shouldnt be called that. So everyone on here just started calling it GMS1. As far as I know there is now actual turbo upgrade from GM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:25 PM

Yeah I was gonna say, I've had my 08 LNF for almost 3 years and I've been in here for longer and I've never seen it called it. Talk about my lack of attention to detail. LOL
Old 05-07-2011, 11:28 PM

For the price u pay for each, a tune is the better deal. More power and half the cost.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AcesNEights
For the price u pay for each, a tune is the better deal. More power and half the cost.
Except that an aftermarket tune voids your engine warranty and increases the possibility of failure.

The GM Stage 1 upgrade keeps the warranty fully intact and is tuned more conservatively.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Except that an aftermarket tune voids your engine warranty and increases the possibility of failure.

The GM Stage 1 upgrade keeps the warranty fully intact and is tuned more conservatively.
Been modded with Trifecta tune for 2 years. Been to Stealership on 3 different occasions to have WARRANTY work done.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FutureEcotecOwner
Been modded with Trifecta tune for 2 years. Been to Stealership on 3 different occasions to have WARRANTY work done.
Good for you, you got lucky.

If anything happens to the engine though and they can attribute it to your aftermarket tune, they are not liable for the cost of the repairs.

Not everyone likes to roll the dice.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:02 AM

Dealer wont know u tuned it unless something actually happens to where they have to check the pcm. If they dont have a reason they will never know. My car has been tuned since i bought it. Oil ring broke in my 3rd cylinder and they still replaced the motor even tho i tuned it. They didnt even know it was tuned, after i flashed it back to stock.

All u have to do is flash back to stock and they will never know.

Last edited by AcesNEights; 05-08-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Good for you, you got lucky.

If anything happens to the engine though and they can attribute it to your aftermarket tune, they are not liable for the cost of the repairs.

Not everyone likes to roll the dice.
I agree with you totally on that. The Garage Manager at my local Chevy dealer thought 100% my car was Supercharged. IDIOT!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM

I just dynoed the GMS1 in this thread, 280whp and 325ft-lbs ain't too shabby I feel. I like the comfort of the warranty, and the power is a good stepping stone until there's no more warranty to want to keep.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by kazinova
I just dynoed the GMS1 in this thread, 280whp and 325ft-lbs ain't too shabby I feel. I like the comfort of the warranty, and the power is a good stepping stone until there's no more warranty to want to keep.
You should've stayed to watch my car I took a vid, though. Check out the dyno day thread to see

Last edited by Sweetsandman; 05-08-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Dealer wont know u tuned it unless something actually happens to where they have to check the pcm. If they dont have a reason they will never know. My car has been tuned since i bought it. Oil ring broke in my 3rd cylinder and they still replaced the motor even tho i tuned it. They didnt even know it was tuned, after i flashed it back to stock.

All u have to do is flash back to stock and they will never know.
And if GM found out the dealer gets stuck with the bill. Try to get them to warranty much even legitimate stuff after they get that bill. If they wanted to they could still find out you had tuned it.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:51 PM

How could they? If you write entire, it erases all history of tunes in your pcm only showing the stock tune you put into it. Personally I dont give a **** about the dealer, if they get stuck with the bill thats on them not me, if my car needs warrantied they have to warranty it. Not much they can do about that.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:27 PM

How could they? If you write entire, it erases all history of tunes in your pcm only showing the stock tune you put into it. Personally I dont give a **** about the dealer, if they get stuck with the bill thats on them not me, if my car needs warrantied they have to warranty it. Not much they can do about that.
They don't have to warranty ****. Lots of dealers will reject them. When I did warranty you could see that people would go dealer to dealer til someone covered it. Those usually got rejected by the OEM for obvious reasons which means the 1 dealer dumb enough to cover it screwed themselves. After awhile they got smart and stopped doing it too.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Well when my oil ring broke they replaced my motor no questions asked. Ask tommyp2010 he works there. I had it tuned and an exhaust. They couldnt prove anything was done to it. And dealers dobt pay for the parts when they warranty Nythibg. GM does, te dealer gwts paid back whatever they spent on parts that nee warrantied. So the dealer doesnt care whether or not it gets warrantied. They ask GM before they do it if it gets warrantied or not.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:51 PM

1) A write entire can occasionally go wrong and then your ECU is done for. 2) They can send it in and find it (there was a big discussion about this with the Trifecta tune, and this was the conclusion for either write entires or the hidden trifecta tune), but only if they send it in. It can't be detected at the dealership.

Long and short it is your decision OP. GMS1 is warranty and allows your car to respond to bolt-ons as the learn down feature is removed. It is also more expensive and more conservative. Aftermarket is cheaper and more power, but you run a risk and will lose your warranty if the dealership finds out.

My personal opinion? Go aftermarket with a good tuner and don't push it (somewhat conservative). It will be cheaper, get you more power, and any problems you might have would only be long term wear and tear so by then your warranty would be ended anyways.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Just get a 2nd pcm problem solved lol
Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Nothin Stock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomebalt
technically the kit is called "gm lnf turbo upgrade" there was huge debate going on if it should be called that because it isnt actually upgrading the turbo at all and it shouldnt be called that. So everyone on here just started calling it gms1. as far as i know there is now actual turbo upgrade from gm.
link
Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just get a 2nd pcm problem solved lol
: co-signed
Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by gotboost?17
link
Sorry, I didnt notice that hahah supposed to be "no"
Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
They don't have to warranty ****. Lots of dealers will reject them. When I did warranty you could see that people would go dealer to dealer til someone covered it. Those usually got rejected by the OEM for obvious reasons which means the 1 dealer dumb enough to cover it screwed themselves. After awhile they got smart and stopped doing it too.
Eh...I leave my parts on there when I take it in for warranty work, including my tune. They've done my front wideband O2 sensor, my evap purge solenoid, my fuel pressure regulator, and some other non-engine related crap and haven't said a single thing. Most of the guys there actually think it's pretty cool. If something major breaks and they say my tune/parts caused it, I'll pay for it no question. GM is not my racing sponsor.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
If something major breaks and they say my tune/parts caused it, I'll pay for it no question.
That's the important part. If something you did causes it to fail you would pay for it. If my tune causes a failure I'd pay to fix it too. Pay to play.

But how many threads are there on here where someone does something that causes a failure and then comes on here crying cause GM wouldn't warranty it?

Quick Reply: is gms stage1 turbo upgrade better or a tune