08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

GSM1 Fixed! Hopefully!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSM1 Fixed! Hopefully!!

Well I took my car to the dealership the car was acting really bad it wouldnt boost past 5 psi and it would hesitate badly and i was getting turbo flutter and the CEL came on and so i took it in.....they kept the car for three days and called GM tech line and finally listened to me and soldered both Sensors and rechecked and car checked out good.....I got the car back and been driving it for the past 4 days and i have had zero issues and car runs smoothly I hope its fixed for good!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 PM

What was their response to soldering the wires ?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by reddevil
What was their response to soldering the wires ?
the tech actually said its if the wires were butt connected then its bad because the sensors arent sending the right voltage back to the ECM so he called GM tech line to ensure the right Tune was installed and they told him to Solder the wires also so they soldered both sensors. They checked the voltage when they were butt connected and said it was incorrect and once they soldered both sensors the voltage was correct and they also drove the car and took snapshots of the ECM car checked out fine!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 PM

Light corrosion on the wires could do that. Makes perfect sense.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any idea if there is a TSB out on the soldering ?

Originally Posted by 1SLOLT1
the tech actually said its if the wires were butt connected then its bad because the sensors arent sending the right voltage back to the ECM so he called GM tech line to ensure the right Tune was installed and they told him to Solder the wires also so they soldered both sensors. They checked the voltage when they were butt connected and said it was incorrect and once they soldered both sensors the voltage was correct and they also drove the car and took snapshots of the ECM car checked out fine!!
I just had another case of the Aveo N/A 2.0 mode Explanation Here and had to do the wiggle to fix it. The trick this time was that I got a solid CEL as well...

P0236 & P0302 - the light went out on it's own - I did not clear it. At any rate, if there is a TSB then maybe I can get the 'good' dealer ( not the same that installed the kit ) to fix it.

If not, then it's back to dealer Bad to attempt a repair. I'd prefer to not have to go that route ...

Congrats on the possible fix - here is hoping I can get the same done !!

Britt
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Did you also have them verify the lower TMAP was seated properly and was trimmed as it should be?

Best of luck man!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM

I have looked at it myself.

Originally Posted by T-Man
Did you also have them verify the lower TMAP was seated properly and was trimmed as it should be?

Best of luck man!
It appears to be OK . I suspect it is an issue w/ the butt crimp - one of those when temp/humidity/position/the Cobalt Gawds are all in alignment w/ true magnetic north it wigs - otherwise not.

Translation : sometimes it works ( the connection is good ), and sometimes it don't , which truthfully gives the amount of predictibility of this issue.

Unless this question was directed to the Op, in which case - my bad.

Britt
Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

OP, I have gms1 sensors on m ss and my car has stumbles and issues like you stated, does it only happen in the upper rpms, and did it happen when you were in second doing 40ish and when you launch it stumbles , misfire and act like **** lol. my gmst1 sensors and wiring is not soldered they are just crimped together using butts, and its hard to diagnose my car when my loggs say its all good. sometimes it wont do it sometimes it will. just curious on a more specific problem you had .. thanks alot
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
OP, I have gms1 sensors on m ss and my car has stumbles and issues like you stated, does it only happen in the upper rpms, and did it happen when you were in second doing 40ish and when you launch it stumbles , misfire and act like **** lol. my gmst1 sensors and wiring is not soldered they are just crimped together using butts, and its hard to diagnose my car when my loggs say its all good. sometimes it wont do it sometimes it will. just curious on a more specific problem you had .. thanks alot

Yes I had all the same issues you listed it was driving me crazy
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

hmm i wonder if your issue is mine as well. ill look into the wiring and solder it, ill let you know because if this fixes my issue then **** weve got two ss owners that had there gms1 sensor issues fixed by soldering the wires, damn gm shitty techs lmao

thanks op
Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM

GM Performance Parts should have never shipped any of the kits with the crimp-on style splice connectors and explicitly stated to solder all wire splices. While crimp connectors might be easier for a do-it-yourself installer (which isn't going to be many due to having to get the computer reprogrammed/flashed), the only proper way to install the new sensors is to solder all connections and use a sealing shrink wrap tubing to protect the connection from the elements. This goes for any electrical connection but is even more important for something like MAP and MAF sensors which are critical for fueling and ignition calculations and requires a very accurate reading from the sensor.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Thank you OP for posting a successful fixed GMS1 problem! Many people post the issues and never post the solution, so for that, I thank you!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I did my with butt splices, but electrical taped the crap out of them so they are water proof. If it was only a butt splice and thats it...I could totally see a problem happening.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Grishbok
Thank you OP for posting a successful fixed GMS1 problem! Many people post the issues and never post the solution, so for that, I thank you!
Actually, in the old GMS1 Problems thread, the original one, lots of people posted, including myself, that if you solder the connections you should be golden. In fact, I did the install myself and soldered from the get go. NEVER had ANY issues. I had to use a different o-ring for the bottom CP and had to modify it a bit by shaving it some to make it fit but thats pretty much the only hump I ran into during the install. I just didnt like that o-ring it felt too flimsy. I then shrink wrapped each individual wire and then shrink wrapped all four together on each harness. Then I taped it and then I covered them with plastic sheathing lol

As a general rule though, I solder wiring, especially on something as important and exact as a critical sensor. Dunno why GM used butt cunnectors

Im glad they finally soldered it for ya OP.

Last edited by cubaniche; 12-23-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Tape won't keep water out permanently. It may help reduce the chance depending on where you live, but won't prevent it long-term. It's also not going to keep moisture out which is just as bad. If you absolutely had to use splices the best thing would be to seal it with silicone or another electrical safe sealant.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbird
Tape won't keep water out permanently. It may help reduce the chance depending on where you live, but won't prevent it long-term. It's also not going to keep moisture out which is just as bad. If you absolutely had to use splices the best thing would be to seal it with silicone or another electrical safe sealant.
well we siliconed in the butt splice ends, then taped them up, and wire loom. I wouldnt mind soldering but when you are underneath a car on a ramp...not a lot of room and I probably wont own the car long enough for the things to break lol.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by TorqueSSter
It appears to be OK . I suspect it is an issue w/ the butt crimp - one of those when temp/humidity/position/the Cobalt Gawds are all in alignment w/ true magnetic north it wigs - otherwise not.

Translation : sometimes it works ( the connection is good ), and sometimes it don't , which truthfully gives the amount of predictibility of this issue.

Unless this question was directed to the Op, in which case - my bad.

Britt
It was but it's a helpful tip for all

Originally Posted by cubaniche
Actually, in the old GMS1 Problems thread, the original one, lots of people posted, including myself, that if you solder the connections you should be golden. In fact, I did the install myself and soldered from the get go. NEVER had ANY issues. I had to use a different o-ring for the bottom CP and had to modify it a bit by shaving it some to make it fit but thats pretty much the only hump I ran into during the install. I just didnt like that o-ring it felt too flimsy. I then shrink wrapped each individual wire and then shrink wrapped all four together on each harness. Then I taped it and then I covered them with plastic sheathing lol

As a general rule though, I solder wiring, especially on something as important and exact as a critical sensor. Dunno why GM used butt cunnectors

Im glad they finally soldered it for ya OP.
+1 to the bolded points and the post in general.

I too shrink wrapped and soldered everything. Better to be overly safe than sorry.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Well I repaced coild because I already bought them and bam still a pos. So I'm gonna solder the wires and see if it works it'll prob be a few days tho.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by T-Man
I too shrink wrapped and soldered everything. Better to be overly safe than sorry.
Agreed
Old 12-23-2010, 03:25 PM

I considered GMS1 but then I went ZZP.

Good luck on the test bro hope it all works out
Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 AM

Its been a week and no signs of any issues!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM

Good news man!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Wink I am gonna guess all is still well ?

I talked to the installing dealer Friday, and am dropping the car off Tuesday A.M. If they will solder the lower wires, I will be happy.

So far as I know, the upper has never caused an issue.

This GMS1 issue has been the only real problem I have had w/ the car - mainly because it is so intermittent and therefore hard for a dealer to fix, or catch in the act.

Other than that, this was the right car at the right time given the prediction I heard of gas at $5.00 a gallon by Memorial day ...

Britt
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Well guys just an UPDATE I have driven the car everyday and Still no issues!!! They soldered both sensors.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha **** like this is what makes me not wanna tune my car especially with gms1 lol not bad numbers tho just having downpipe and gms1 i have the same downpipe and k&n filter and gonna get that zzp intake tube