08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Havint problems over heating

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Havint problems over heating

Im having some overheating problems gm has had my car now for 2 weeks. At first they thought it was my thermostat going out, but it wasn't. They have tried a compression tester on my coolant and it tests out just fine. They replace some other sensors and still it over heats, jumps up to 230 to 269 degrees. The head gasket its fine. There is no sing of coolant in my oil pan or oil in my coolant re savor. The lines are pressurizing way to much and not allowing the coolant to pass threw. Sometimes it works then sometimes it wont. The coolant also gets dumped all over the ground from the re savor, it as well has been replaced twice.
Anyone have any ideas on what it might be now. Gm is stumped like me
Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 PM

are you losing any coolant??? i had a hole in my coolant line that went to the turbo and it was saying low coolant. took about a week to finally find the leak
Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolic123
Im having some overheating problems gm has had my car now for 2 weeks. At first they thought it was my thermostat going out, but it wasn't. They have tried a compression tester on my coolant and it tests out just fine. They replace some other sensors and still it over heats, jumps up to 230 to 269 degrees. The head gasket its fine. There is no sing of coolant in my oil pan or oil in my coolant re savor. The lines are pressurizing way to much and not allowing the coolant to pass threw. Sometimes it works then sometimes it wont. The coolant also gets dumped all over the ground from the re savor, it as well has been replaced twice.
wat about the fans coming on do they come on? radiator leak?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by hallss
are you losing any coolant??? i had a hole in my coolant line that went to the turbo and it was saying low coolant. took about a week to finally find the leak
damn ur a lucky SOB.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diabolic123
It could be a bad check valve in the coolant system. I understand that without the check valves, because of the placement of the over flow bottle, that air can get sucked into the heater circuit and lock the system from flowing. I am not sure which hoses the valves are in but I try and research it.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP
It could be a bad check valve in the coolant system. I understand that without the check valves, because of the placement of the over flow bottle, that air can get sucked into the heater circuit and lock the system from flowing. I am not sure which hoses the valves are in but I try and research it.

Is there any way to bleed out the air in the heating system ? The other day i heard air flow threw the heating system when i first started the car. Sounds like a sink running or a drain ...draining. I've been watching my temps like a hawk but they haven't changed ....... Thanks for any advise .
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by TURBOSS2009
yes radiator fans come on and no leaking

Originally Posted by hallss
Yes but out of the re savor. The re savor has been replaced twice and still the system pressurizes way to much, and pops the seal under the re savor. There for my coolant leeks out every ware. My hose gets so under pressure u can barely pump it on the top side and for some reason it wont pump back in the re savor like when its cold u can pump fluid back to the re savor.

Originally Posted by rukkee
Is there any way to bleed out the air in the heating system ? The other day i heard air flow threw the heating system when i first started the car. Sounds like a sink running or a drain ...draining. I've been watching my temps like a hawk but they haven't changed ....... Thanks for any advise .

i having that same problem is that what that sound is. Could that be the cause of my car over heating or pressuring to much.

Last edited by Diabolic123; 10-19-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 for air in the system.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 AM

reservoir not re savor sorry,..saw that spelled wrong WAYYYYY to many times. lol
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by TURBOSS2009
just as important as if they come on...Are they blowing in the right direction?

I wonder if it needs a good flushing.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oopsitouchedmyself
reservoir not re savor sorry,..saw that spelled wrong WAYYYYY to many times. lol
It's not "to many times" it's "too many times". I have seen that spelled wrong way too many times. lol.

I have nothing else to add to this thread. Carry on.