08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

How many times have you been to the shop with your Cobalt Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just once, cracked the intercooler end tank. Probably my fault, trifecta tuned at 24 PSI.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Brakes were rusted from sitting in the dealers lot - actually didn't get fixed
2) Gear Shift Cable broke - New Cable
3) Instrument Panel lights went out - Fuse/New brakes finally
4) Headlight was collecting moisture - New Headlight
5) Instruments Again - Fuse again...
6) Blower motor for the H VAC....did not get fixed.
7) Low Coolant light - gave me a new reservoir
8) Low Coolant Again/Cracked Block - New engine
9) Cruise Control was out - Loose module
10) Instruments again - Finally fixed shorted wire
11) H VAC Chirping/Turbo making an odd noise - New H VAC motor new inter-cooler piping
12) Turbo bearing went out - New Turbo

I know I said thirteen but I miss counted.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:42 AM

I'm at 25200 now, and I have to take mine in for an alignment thanks to my Pedders. I also need to have the power steering recall done, and I have to find out about an oil leak that's developed from my valve cover, and my fuel pump. And I am going to have a brake flush done as well.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Three times other than oil changes...power steering motor ic pipe grommet and key stuck in ignition
Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 AM

once for my end links... i need to go back in for the tire pressure sensor.. my dealer sucks when it comes to warrantys and i know theyll void it once they see my catless dp
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

1) replace charge pipe- warranty
2) key stuck in ignition- warrany

I dont think performance mods count towards this. and all the trips to the dealer they didnt void my warranty or even question me with all the mods I had at the time.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM

1. Driver Side Rear caliper failed, then other failed while waiting for parts to come in. Dealership replaced pads, calipers, rotors (scoring) under warranty.
2. I have HPFP & Valve cover leak, getting warranty work done is tooth and nail.
3. Power steering motor replaced under warranty.
4. Random tires will have no pressure at random times (still needs to be checked)

They can only reset my oil life monitor via OBD2 tool, it won't reset with pedal procedure.

What they say is normal

Clutch out in gear, slight audible grinding noise, very noticeable when on a bridge, or underpass. TOB? Maybe I need to get used to the noise, tranny is noisy engaging gears.

Whistling sunroof

My last car was a Saturn, so huge jump in performance, didn't think there would be so many headaches with a new car...09 SS 26k purchased with 3500
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM

1) Rear brake service (so it was documented only)
2) Aux power port near e-brake stopped functioning (harness unplugged/shorting out near BCM)
3) Nipple busted off intake elbow (dealer never removed PCV checking filter for every oil change, it finally busted after numerous times). Warranty.
4) Lower charge piping punctured by radiator bolt. Warranty.
5) Orange reflector in passenger headlight randomly fell off, new headlight. Warranty.
6) GMS1 TMAP pigtail replaced (dealer didn't seal properly so not a factory issue but still warranty)
7) Recall for power steering

Things to still be done:

8) Has to go in, door insert cracked when my elbow hit it a little too hard during a "spirited turn"
9) Car still having issues on occasion in wet conditions. Bill gave me some things to keep an eye out for but difficult to recreate even after drowning it in water washing it yesterday. Starting to get on my nerves when I randomly lose all boost (no codes set) then moments later (or power cycle later) it's back even after the TMAP pigtail was replaced as the root cause of this in the first place .
10) One TPMS goes offline or misreads pressures at random. Since the tires are perfectly balanced I'm hesitant to have them remove it to fix the sensor and take a chance they completely obliterate the balance.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by VR09Sedan
1. Driver Side Rear caliper failed, then other failed while waiting for parts to come in. Dealership replaced pads, calipers, rotors (scoring) under warranty.
2. I have HPFP & Valve cover leak, getting warranty work done is tooth and nail.
3. Power steering motor replaced under warranty.
4. Random tires will have no pressure at random times (still needs to be checked)

They can only reset my oil life monitor via OBD2 tool, it won't reset with pedal procedure.

What they say is normal

Clutch out in gear, slight audible grinding noise, very noticeable when on a bridge, or underpass. TOB? Maybe I need to get used to the noise, tranny is noisy engaging gears.

Whistling sunroof

My last car was a Saturn, so huge jump in performance, didn't think there would be so many headaches with a new car...09 SS 26k purchased with 3500
Did they fix the valve cover leak for you? I'm taking my 09 SS in here soon for a few things including that.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by VR09Sedan
Umm, have they tried just resetting it while the car is sitting still by using the controls on the steering wheel instead of the pedal procedure? I've never done it via the pedals and only used the wheel controls since they seem to forget 95% of the time even though they have to put a check beside "reset oil life"....morons
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been in a few times, today is the first time for it actually doing something wrong. :/ It was my fault though.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM

Seems like these cars dont like do leave the dealership. They love going back for warranty...
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SeanEE89
Did they fix the valve cover leak for you? I'm taking my 09 SS in here soon for a few things including that.
I have not taken it in yet. If I never found this site, my dealership would of told me the issues i mentioned above were normal minus the brakes, lol!

I'm so eager to learn more, it's just finding time between house maintenance, work and getting married. So the time I can spend on my car is limited, kind of a bummer
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
Umm, have they tried just resetting it while the car is sitting still by using the controls on the steering wheel instead of the pedal procedure? I've never done it via the pedals and only used the wheel controls since they seem to forget 95% of the time even though they have to put a check beside "reset oil life"....morons
That's what the tech attempted to do the last time. He tried from the steering wheel first, then the pedal, then went to the OBDII tool and manually reset it that way. I'll try the steering wheel controls again today.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Rear brakes
GMS 1
3 more times to fix GMS1
stuck key
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Go ask this question in a GTI or Speec 3 forum, STI, EVO, CSRT4....

Genesis forums are realllllllly bad.

It makes your cars seam bullet proof.

Just to get a different prospective. A lot of people who buy cars can't even tell you the difference between standard and metric ...

Lots of guys just see a small problem and fix it themselves and carry on ... Some people hear one squeak from the brakes and take it into the shop ... Lots of variables and factors here , besides the every day warranty type work and common problems mines solid been to the shop once ...

I'll admit the horrible beating it's had for 33k too.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM

3 times for rear brakes, charge pipe gromet, power steering, fogged headlight, and I have to take it in when I get a chance for the HPFP. The dealership in Massachussetts said it was from me spilling excess oil. Does anybody have the TSB so I can take it to a local dealership here in California?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fastgti69
5-6 times in the past 4 months.
1- change my Shift knob, wouldnt go into 5th gear.
2- sunfroof motor replaced
3- Tire pressure system replaced
4- sunroof is coming apart
5- Tire pressure system again. i think I went one more time but not too sure. This is all warranty. This car is a Lemon, going to get something sorted out soon. In the 2 years I had my GTI with all bolt ons + tune, just one ignition coil blew. That's it just once to the dealership never again.
I'm curious as to how changing the shift knob would fix the problem with the tranny not going into 5th gear. I bet they just adjusted the shift cables.

Anyhow...here's my list. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few visits. I've had many, but none for serious issues (i.e. completely broke down, stranded)

1 - Rear brakes: Dealer was good enough to replace rotors and pads under warranty
2 - Coil: Cyl #3 coil pack died.
3 - Injector: Kept getting cel for misfire. After prly 5 visits to the dealership they replaced the injector and problem solved.
4 - Sunroof Motor replaced
5 - Oil Leak - Oil pan gasket replaced (it took them two tries, two separate visits)
6 - Intake tube - PCV tube broke. Dealer replaced the intake tube under warranty. This one was my fault. Yeah, I'm lucky and got a good dealership.
7 - TSB for IC lower CP rubbing on bolt.
8 - Shift cable mount replaced
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by cmcphi1195
none since ive had it in feb of 09...
Same here, it's never been in the shop for repair and I have like 55k miles. Had to change oil a lot.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 PM

Mine - let's see. I have about 14k on the car, and it was in four times:

1) Some random tank recall - think it was the dealership goof since my car wasn't listed for what they changed;
2) Ignition cylinder sleeve (Didn't have any problems, but they changed it while they performed the....)
3) GMS1
4) Power steering recall (wasn't having any problems at 6k when I took it in, of course) and
5) The dreaded rear brake wear.

Number 5 was the only real issue I've had with it - started with the squealing, and premature wear, but the assemblies were lubed and the rotors turned down, and since then, only very rarely to I get any noise from them, and the wear now seems normal. I really don't care too much for the wear if it does, since I'm considering upgrading the brakes as soon as I have to do anything major to them.

All in all, not very bad, and the dealer hasn't been too bad too me.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Only twice, but I basically wait until the car becomes dangerous to drive to take it in. The standard Cobalt rental they give me makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

1. High pressure fuel pump
2. in-tank fuel pump
3. Steering shaft (going to be twice here pretty soon)
4. Broken E-brake
5. Rear brakes at 8K
6. Power steering motor
7. Both rear wheel bearings
8. Oil leak
9. Slipping clutch, comes and goes

Others, can't remember. Car is a POS.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM

2008 Cobalt SS with 18000 miles. I'm the second owner. I've had my SS for about 2 or 3 months now.
BEEN IN FOR
1. Steering Recall and CP Recall (CP is INJEN so it doesn't matter)
2. TPMS not reading random tires at random times
3. Check Engine Light...missfire on 3 or 4, they say its due to an aftermarket vibrating pipe (hahn coolram seemed waaaaay loose, so i built a bracket) <- thinking of selling intake fyi
NEEDS TO GO IN FOR
1. Oil Change
2. Whistling Sunroof
3. TPMS does it when on long drives
4. Check Engine Light again from missfire on 3 or 4 (even though I built the bracket)...i checked the code at the parts store
Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by xray_racer
I'm curious as to how changing the shift knob would fix the problem with the tranny not going into 5th gear. I bet they just adjusted the shift cables.

No they tried to adjust the cables and bushings. They ordered me a new piece I went in like 2 days later and they fixed it in a couple hours. Fresh as hell.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
Six times in 2 years.

1) Rear brakes, HPFP leak.
2) HPFP leak (kept saying it was me dripping oil during oil changes.) They put dye in the oil.
3) HPFP leak. They finally tried to fix it per tech bulletin.
4) Power Steering assist motor failure. Replaced under warranty.
5) Rear brakes. They told me to go pound sand.
6) Punctured coldside pipe from radiator support bracket bolt. Bolt was removed and coldside piping replaced.

I still have a slow oil leak around the HPFP, btw. Technically, the only thing my shitty dealership has fixed is my punctured coldside pipe. They are a bunch of stone-cold IDIOTS.
Hello SSlobalt, I’ll be sending you a PM for more details.

Thanks,
Laura
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-22-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
Go ask this question in a GTI or Speec 3 forum, STI, EVO, CSRT4....

Genesis forums are realllllllly bad.

It makes your cars seam bullet proof.

Just to get a different prospective. A lot of people who buy cars can't even tell you the difference between standard and metric ...

Lots of guys just see a small problem and fix it themselves and carry on ... Some people hear one squeak from the brakes and take it into the shop ... Lots of variables and factors here , besides the every day warranty type work and common problems mines solid been to the shop once ...

I'll admit the horrible beating it's had for 33k too.
owned a MS3 for a year and had one problem(loose suspension bolt, and luckily never had turbo problems) and had my Evo for 2 years, only one problem that i fixed myself(split vacuum line). i would be pissed if my car was in the shop as many times as some of these cars. i do think alot of it has to do with how people drive and abuse thier cars too.

Last edited by Nismothecat; 06-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: How many times have you been to the shop with your Cobalt Turbo...