08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Interesting visit to the dealership today....version "whats a stage 1?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting visit to the dealership today....version "whats a stage 1?"

So I stop at the local Chevy (thank God there are 3 others nearby to check) and I walk in to ask a few questions about the stage kit.

Walk up to the parts dept and ask for a price on the kit.
After 5 minutes of not being able to find it, I offer him the order code (got it off my phone while waiting) and hes like, oh thanx

ready for the price quote?
$650.............................................: lol:

I explain how it's online for around $500 and how I was hoping to give my local stealer er um dealership the business but I am not going to pay that.

So I venture on out to the separate area for service. I walk up to the group of guys who pretty much ignore me (mind you im 34yo and professionally dressed). The lone female of the gang asks if I need help. I ask for the labor time for the installation of the stage 1 kit for my LNF turbo 2009 cobalt.......

Her
So she says hey guys do you know anything about the stage kit for the Cobalts?

One of the guys goes into a spiel about stage 1, 2, or 3 how they have to vent the coolent around this and that and put on an intake bla bla bla......
I say no, for the turbo, not the supercharged.
Him

I explain that I am simply looking for a estimate on time to install only the tune or the whole deal (sensors, tune, etc)
He explains that they have not done one yet and is unsure. I ask him to look it up and he says they just have to try to hook it up for me and go from there.

I said, um no. I cant bring my car here with the potential for you charging for 5 hours!
He replied well it "shouldn't" take that long but they haven't done one so I could be the guinea pig.

To which I thanked them for their time and walked out..................

Is there really no set time for this?
Doesn't just about every thing you need done to any model have a time assigned to the job?

Off to the next dealership this week.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugger1975
So I stop at the local Chevy (thank God there are 3 others nearby to check) and I walk in to ask a few questions about the stage kit.

Walk up to the parts dept and ask for a price on the kit.
After 5 minutes of not being able to find it, I offer him the order code (got it off my phone while waiting) and hes like, oh thanx

ready for the price quote?
$650.............................................: lol:

I explain how it's online for around $500 and how I was hoping to give my local stealer er um dealership the business but I am not going to pay that.

So I venture on out to the separate area for service. I walk up to the group of guys who pretty much ignore me (mind you im 34yo and professionally dressed). The lone female of the gang asks if I need help. I ask for the labor time for the installation of the stage 1 kit for my LNF turbo 2009 cobalt.......

Her
So she says hey guys do you know anything about the stage kit for the Cobalts?

One of the guys goes into a spiel about stage 1, 2, or 3 how they have to vent the coolent around this and that and put on an intake bla bla bla......
I say no, for the turbo, not the supercharged.
Him

I explain that I am simply looking for a estimate on time to install only the tune or the whole deal (sensors, tune, etc)
He explains that they have not done one yet and is unsure. I ask him to look it up and he says they just have to try to hook it up for me and go from there.

I said, um no. I cant bring my car here with the potential for you charging for 5 hours!
He replied well it "shouldn't" take that long but they haven't done one so I could be the guinea pig.

To which I thanked them for their time and walked out..................

Is there really no set time for this?
Doesn't just about every thing you need done to any model have a time assigned to the job?

Off to the next dealership this week.
I'm sure they will charge about.... An hour of time from a decent dealership.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Unfortunatly for you and the dealership, gm doesn't bother to tell their dealers nothin g about their kits and usually the way a dealer finds out about it is by a consumer walking in and asking for it.

As for the labor time, everything does NOT have a set labor time, but in most cases you pay an hour to have the pcm reflashed, and their should be a labor time to replace the sensor. I would expect to pay 1-2 hours to have this done...

Usually the parts department can give you an estimated labor time on GMPP stuff...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 PM

I had a dealer offer me to put SS badges on a base 'balt.......... sounds like the same one lol
Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Koz

650 is the list price. You can get it cheaper online, but it's not too bad compared to some of the 300-400% markups you'll see on other things from a dealership. I was quoted 80 something bucks for one sparkplug wire from a ford dealership once. I got a whole set of 6 sparkplug wires at Murrays for less than that.

But yeah, print out the spec that's on GMtunersource.com and give it to them, that's the directions on how to install it (with part numbers)

http://www.gmtunersource.com/index.p...de-kit-is-a-go
Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Install it yourself or have a trusted member install it and just find a decent dealer to do the flash.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 PM

It all depends on the labor rate in your area, here in SE wisconsin, its about 102 bucks/HR, you cross the border into IL, and its 137/hr.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is why I don't look to a "dealer" for jack **** and it isn't just Chevrolet that is this way. Unless your buying a very high end car to where you might expect them to know every detail about it. I mean your talking to people who sell everyday cars to everyday people .

Man up and get a real tune and some mods ..

Dealerships
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 AM

I told my service dept going in I didn't expect to pay for more than 2 hrs for the install/reflash. It took a little longer but they charged me for 2 hrs after finding it "in print"-maybe the HHR rate is listed?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by FRQ FLYR
I told my service dept going in I didn't expect to pay for more than 2 hrs for the install/reflash. It took a little longer but they charged me for 2 hrs after finding it "in print"-maybe the HHR rate is listed?
The recommended install time for the Cobalt SS is 2.0 hours (and it is only a recommended time). If the dealer looks up the kit part number, 19212670, the system tells them the recommended install time. Since GM can not dictate an install time a dealer can charge what ever it wants.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP
The recommended install time for the Cobalt SS is 2.0 hours (and it is only a recommended time). If the dealer looks up the kit part number, 19212670, the system tells them the recommended install time. Since GM can not dictate an install time a dealer can charge what ever it wants.
I am really glad you are on this forum. We need more of you around
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM

thank guys.

i hae had my hugger for 10 years now (time flies!) and thank god nevr had to use the dealer for anything. not even a smidge of warrenty work ever needed.....so i guess i am out of the loop on the inconsistancies of pricing.

i def see myself putting the parts in and just letting them flash it.

but not the mentioned dealership. he even went on about the hour would be about right for the tune "if" and not exaggerating here, "the satelites aligned and it downloaded on the first attempt and not take 6 tries......wtf?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 AM

... Off to the next dealership this week.
^There's your answer ...
Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM

Contact Tom at crate engine depot for a price on the kit. They installed my kit as well and I only paid an hour of labor. Rockenbach chevy in grayslake. I paid 550 for the kit and 107 for labor. And they have done a ton of kits on cobalts hhrs solsctices and skys
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 PM

My dealer didn't quote me a time they just said it'd be $120 to install it. I asked about another part and they said it'd be $60 for one hour. So I'm just going to assume two for the stage kit. Thought about driving to greyslake and having CED install it, but it's like 1-1/2 hours away and my dealer still have me a reasonable estimate for 2 hour install.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Rebel which dealer do you go to? I'm close to Schaumburg
Old 11-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by BartSS
Contact Tom at crate engine depot for a price on the kit. They installed my kit as well and I only paid an hour of labor. Rockenbach chevy in grayslake. I paid 550 for the kit and 107 for labor. And they have done a ton of kits on cobalts hhrs solsctices and skys

hmmmmmmm grayslake

i am confused though.
you mention CED and a dealership in the next sentence.

who actually did your install for that great price?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BartSS
Rebel which dealer do you go to? I'm close to Schaumburg
Grossinger Chevy in Palatine.

hmmmmmmm grayslake

i am confused though.
you mention CED and a dealership in the next sentence.

who actually did your install for that great price?
Rockenbach Chevy runs the CED Website. At the bottom of the main page they have a link to their dealer site.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rebel
Grossinger Chevy in Palatine.

Rockenbach Chevy runs the CED Website. At the bottom of the main page they have a link to their dealer site.
ahhhhh
thank you

that threw me off, I didn't know that.
hmmmmmm

glad i made this thread so i can come back to it when needed