08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Is my car tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my car tuned?

So last fall I wrecked my car and needed to find something to replace it. I came across a 2010 SS Turbo for a really good price and just couldn't say no. The car ran great and completely exceeded my expectations. I drove it all winter and never had a problem other than the clutch would sometimes slip under heavy acceleration. Over the winter I came to the decision that I would leave the car very close to stock so I could keep the warranty intact. But I would probably want to get the GMS1 installed.

The car has the RPD but since I'm in Canada it displays boost pressure in metric (kpa not psi). I found out that the car peaks at around 22 psi (between 150 and 160 kpa) and I've never driven another Turbo Cobalt so I have nothing to compare with.

Anyway, is there a possibility that the car is already tuned and how could I find out for sure (GMS1, HP, Trifecta, etc.)?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
youre tuned. GMS1 would have difference sensors under the hood. im not sure exactly what they look like, but i believe the MAF has a Blue sticker on it. im sure someone who knows will chime in.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GMS1 sensors are Bosch sensors, you'll see one of them on top of the intake manifold. It's not a guarantee that GMS1 is all you have, you could easily still have a HP or trifecta tune, the only way to tell would be to hook up HP tuners to the car and see if it's unlocked (HP) or unreadable (trifecta)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have the 3bar MAP sensors supplied with the GMS1 kit, you will see this on the top of your intake manifold.

As our esteemed evo-loving member stated above, though, there could be any tune on it with those sensors. You would have to know someone with HPT to test and see if it has an HP Tuners tune, and you would have to know someone with a Trifecta cable to check it for a Trifecta tune. Whatever you do, don't take it to the dealer to find out if it has the regular GMS1 tune on it. Seriously, though, you can probably get your dealer to run you VIN and see if GMS1 was dealer installed?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSlobalt
If you have the 3bar MAP sensors supplied with the GMS1 kit, you will see this on the top of your intake manifold.

As our esteemed evo-loving member stated above, though, there could be any tune on it with those sensors. You would have to know someone with HPT to test and see if it has an HP Tuners tune, and you would have to know someone with a Trifecta cable to check it for a Trifecta tune. Whatever you do, don't take it to the dealer to find out if it has the regular GMS1 tune on it. Seriously, though, you can probably get your dealer to run you VIN and see if GMS1 was dealer installed?
Is SUPER easy to change the rpd and dash from metric to imperial or vice versa! Just incase your tired of converting kpa. I do it all the time